Andy9o8

Should "butt-printing" art teacher have been fired?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16557455/

‘Butt-printing’ art teacher fired
Paintings done during off-hours sell for as much as $900
The Associated Press
Updated: 5:21 a.m. ET Jan 10, 2007
RICHMOND, Va. - An art teacher whose off-hours work as a so-called “butt-printing artist” became widely circulated among high school students has been fired.

The Chesterfield County School Board, in a unanimous voice vote, fired Stephen Murmer at a meeting Tuesday night, spokeswoman Debra Marlow said.

In its decision, the board reasoned that students have a right to receive their education in an environment free from distractions and disruptions, Marlow said. The decision also is in keeping with court rulings that hold that teachers are expected to lead by example and be role models, she said.

Jason Anthony, Murmer’s attorney, called the vote “a bad day for the First Amendment.”

“Chesterfield lost a tremendous asset today,” he said.

Murmer, a teacher at Monacan High School, was suspended in December after objections were raised about his private abstract artwork, much of which includes smearing his posterior and genitals with paint and pressing them against canvas.

His paintings sell for as much as $900 each on his Web site.

The unique approach to art became a topic when a clip showing Murmer, wearing a fake nose and glasses, a towel on his head and black thong, turned up on YouTube.com and became the talk of the high school.

I'll tell you when I've finished laughing.

The unique approach to art became a topic when a clip showing Murmer, wearing a fake nose and glasses, a towel on his head and black thong, turned up on YouTube.com and became the talk of the high school.

:D:D:D:D
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yes, he should be fired. He should be teaching at a college level.
Talent like that is wasted on a high school level.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

OH MY GOD! The art teacher is *gasp* an artist!

first, it's clear he's no 'artist', thus the teaching gig

but how he supplements his income on his off time is really not a good reason to fire him unless it's illegal. Stupid? yes, not art? yes, profitable? guess so, Illegal? no

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Oh, right. I forgot that all artists make a full living off of their art. How silly of me.

but how he supplements his income on his off time is really not a good reason to fire him unless it's illegal. Stupid? yes, not art? yes, profitable? guess so, Illegal? no

I agree with you there.

Oh, right. I forgot that all artists make a full living off of their art. How silly of me.

You misunderstand me, I don't consider his "craft" as indicative of him being an artist - but that's just an opinion and who am I to have one?

Not that he doesn't make a living out of the career.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

OH MY GOD! The art teacher is *gasp* an artist!

I guess you're not a skydiver, thus the management gig.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I guess you're not a skydiver, thus the management gig.

though you read it wrong too and I already answered that, I'd would say I'm not 'employed' as a full time skydiver, thus the management gig. Any moron can see that.

(I don't go for the whole, "those that can't do" thing.. I've met too many exceptions to that rule).

You can see the original video on YouTube here, and he even explains in the video that he's wearing the disguise because he has a real job.

his private abstract artwork, much of which includes smearing his posterior and genitals with paint and pressing them against canvas.

His art gallery web site: http://www.buttprintart.com/

Nice tulips.

Wow, his work is amazingly good. Very nice paintings.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young