NickDG

"They've" Got Your Mail . . .

What's a new republican?

Someone that believes in borrow and spend, invading other nations that pose no risk to us, huge deficits, warrantless snooping, imprisonment without trial, secret jails, condoning torture,....

since we're generalizing and name calling, are you saying that the 'new republicans' are just 'democrats' with a different list of arbitrary social objectives and a slightly reduced tendency to tax inaddition to borrow and spend?

I agree with you. Excellently put.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>are you saying that the 'new republicans' are just 'democrats' . . .

So, for today's generalization:

New republican = old democrat
Old republican = new democrat

Might work. On the other hand, might make some people's heads explode.

but, where it counts: old democrat = new democrat

so politics as usual [:/]

I doubt the parties change much with time nor are different in any substantial way - we all just get older and realize each is corrupt at some point and the problem is there isn't a decent alternative once they get organized.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

>are you saying that the 'new republicans' are just 'democrats' . . .

So, for today's generalization:

New republican = old democrat
Old republican = new democrat

Might work. On the other hand, might make some people's heads explode.

the other response is, "AH HA!!! so you do admit the country is insidiously sliding to the left" - but in your case, the answer would be a calm "sure, isn't that how it's supposed to go over time?" with 'maybe' a slight exception to the word 'insidious'

Check out the republicans circa 1870.

I'm sure whichever parties at the time all had philosophical drift in the last 140 years - not just the reps alone and everyone else was static.

(unless you are stating that the 1870 reps were all honest, and focused on wisely solving problems and didn't get jazzed about the ability to take and spend the money of the people. The rest is just context once we establish that human nature doesn't change just because of a measely passage of a mere century or two.)

it's a 'moo' point

>The rest is just context once we establish that human nature
>doesn't change just because of a measely passage of a mere century or two.

Right, but political parties do. (To avoid the "all politicians are honest" thing, the _stated_positions_ of political parties, as well as the goals they actually achieve, change with time.) Some examples of republican planks during the 1860's/1870's:

-Dominance of a strong central government (i.e. not allowing states to secede.)

-Control of societal functions previously left to private concerns. The Department of Agriculture, the Bureau of Internal Revenue and the national banking system were established by republicans during this time.

-Civil rights for blacks (civil rights act of 1866 that extended many civil rights to blacks, which at the time was as offensive to some as gay marriage is now. Also 15th amendment.)

(unless you are stating that the 1870 reps were all honest, and focused on wisely solving problems and didn't get jazzed about the ability to take and spend the money of the people. The rest is just context once we establish that human nature doesn't change just because of a measely passage of a mere century or two.)

Nah those were your Dayum Yankees..aka Carpet Baggers

Oh well. I say we make a new party.:P One that's run by the people for the people. Oh wait that's how it was supposed to be.>:( I do think we need a smaller goverment. The one we have now is getting to big for it's own good. Don't get me wrong America is a great place to live. But I think were giving our rights away slowly. Does anyone else share this view[:/]
Playtime is essential.

Does anyone else share this view[:/]

20% admit they want someone else to actively pay for everything. I think about 80% of populace give that concept lip service. But when it comes down to cutting "their" pet programs that changes [:/]

But I think were giving our rights away slowly. Does anyone else share this view

I have posted that over and over.. and all the right wing posters here can do is call us paranoid and conspiracy nutjobs..because we are not in total goosestep with this .. you are either with us or you are against us Administration.
..Its not being taken away slowly.. the Patriot Act is not any form of Patriotism that the founding fathers would recognize. It has been used over and over since its inception to arrest and detain people for things it was NOT intended for.[:/]

Remember.. you have nothing to worry about if you are doing nothing wrong.. but with the legal creep that is occuring...."THEY" are deciding what is wrong and what is right to "THEIR" hypocritical MORAL code.

I have posted that over and over.. and all the right wing posters here can do is call us paranoid and conspiracy nutjobs..

I see the "right wing" posters posting disgust in this area with both parties. However, the left wing posters blindly refuse to acknowledge it in their party, only the 'other guy'. I see many more rabid lefties being blind in this than their rabid rightie counterparts.

I see the "right wing" posters posting disgust in this area with both parties. However, the left wing posters blindly refuse to acknowledge it in their party, only the 'other guy'. I see many more rabid lefties being blind in this than their rabid rightie counterparts.

Interesting viewpoint.. but WHO was in total control of our government for all of the last 6 years????

Certainly not the left in any shape or form.. Hell Democrats were completely shut out of most legislative process since the Neo-Con Republicans controlled EVERY branch of the Federal Government.

Interesting viewpoint - I'm interested in both the short term and the long term and I'm sure both our memories extend for the last 6 years, AND beyond.

"President Bush is claiming that a new postal law gives him the authority to read anyone's letters without a warrant. If you're upset about the law, you can let Bush know by writing to your sister."

--- Conan O'Brien (Talk show host in the U.S)

NickD :)BASE 194

If you are not doing anything wrong what do you have to worry about???

FREEDOM AND THE RIGHT TO PRIVACY! Part of the very foundation this country was founded and based on! BECAUSE you are NOT doing anything wrong! Otherwise it's punish the victims, and reward the perps.:S
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

>Are you (falsely) claiming it was the Republicans?

Right. Anyone who thinks that the republicans controlled the house and executive from 2000 to 2006 is (what was your phrase?) suffering from a "delusional fantasy." Magical thinking clearly shows that the democrats are the ones responsible for everything bad that's happened in the past 6 years! Look it up.

Now, I know, you're going to say "I looked it up and that's wrong." That's because you looked it up in a book. Look it up in your gut; it will tell you that it's all the democrat's fault. Ignore all those reality-based factinistas and those brainiacs on the nerd patrol; they haven't even HEARD of the power of magical thinking! Poor saps.

Are you (falsely) claiming it was the Republicans?

Comprehension??????

What has been the number of Republicans in the Senate up until last week since 2001.

What has been the number of Republicans in the House up until last week since 2001.?

The Democrats were completely shut out of the process in Congress.. Middle of the night decisions passed without any informed dissent...perhaps that is now the New Democratic Congress should operate and see how much childish whining occurs from the shell shocked Republicans.

So that takes care of the Legislative Branch..

Now for the Supreme Court that appointed this fuckup...

How many of the Supremes have been placed in power by the Republicans... and are Republicans...?

And anyone want to take any bets on the number of Republicans vs number of Democrats in the Executive Branch????

So in conclusion... I would have to say that yes.. the REpublicans have been in complete control of the Government for the last 6 years....

>the REpublicans have been in complete control of the Government for the last 6 years....

Ah, but Jeanie, the neo-cons have an out. You see, for 17 days in 2001, and for 16 months in 2001-2002, the senate was (due to some unusual circumstances) a democratic majority. They can use this to blame pretty much everything bad that happened on democrats. They can thank Jeffords for giving them that opportunity.

Ah, but Jeanie, the neo-cons have an out. You see, for 17 days in 2001, and for 16 months in 2001-2002, the senate was (due to some unusual circumstances) a democratic majority. They can use this to blame pretty much everything bad that happened on democrats. They can thank Jeffords for giving them that opportunity.

And our prestige in the world is at an all time low..

Our Deficits are at an all time high.

Thousands of our kids are dead... because Bush needs to prove he has a bigger set than his daddy...

All of their claims about Iraq... cakewalk.. welcomed in the streets.. oil will pay for the war..Immenent attack with WMD on the USA... all unfounded and untrue....Most people call that incompetence... Some people could call some of his actions.. War Crimes... I will just stick to incompetent fascism.. and the termination of our constitutional rights in many areas.

Thousands of our kids are dead... because Bush needs to prove he has a bigger set than his daddy...

All of their claims about Iraq... cakewalk.. welcomed in the streets.. oil will pay for the war..Immenent attack with WMD on the USA... all unfounded and untrue....Most people call that incompetence... Some people could call some of his actions.. War Crimes... I will just stick to incompetent fascism.. and the termination of our constitutional rights in many areas.

In other words, YOU WERE WRONG!:D:D:D

In other words, YOU WERE WRONG!:D:D:D

At least her errors have not cost hundreds of billions of dollars and tens of thousands of lives.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.