shropshire

Death sentence for Saddam upheld

Fair... points.. (wasn't my finger either, but our leaders are as guilty as him, in their own way - they are responsible for the deaths of innocents - a large number of them too)

But back to my earlier rant..

I dont support capital punishment. It's not that I'm religious but our (and probably your) laws are based upon Christian values (as good a code as any) and thus one of His biggies... 'Thou shall NOT kill'. No caveats, no ifs, no buts, no, well if someone is naughty, may we can kill them a little bit - THOU SHALL NOT KILL (full stop/period)

Actually, the proper translation is "murder" and not "kill". Thou shall not commit murder. The Bible is filled with cases of God tossing out appeals and giving the go-ahead for capital punishment. God himself carried out mass executions by destroying entire cities and civilizations. Of course, he didn't hang 'em all (rope was a valuable commodity back then)....he used fires and floods.
No, I'm not a Bible thumper, just some stuff I remember from Sunday school. I also feel the death penalty should only be used in extreme cases, and this is one of those cases. [:/]

I'm quite happy with the idea letting God bump off Saddam Hussein rather than having a human do it. Let's wait for a spontaneous fire or flood to get him.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Fair... points.. (wasn't my finger either, but our leaders are as guilty as him, in their own way - they are responsible for the deaths of innocents - a large number of them too)

There's a bit of a difference in sending chemical weapons on a town full of civilians and attacking targets with military value that have civilians nearby, one is intentional, the other is not.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I never went to Sunday school so I'll take your word for it.... But it's a bit like most other stuff, they never seem to say exactly what they mean - if they meant murder why not say murder. Or do these churchified folk like to be deliberately ambiguous so they can win arguments by changing the definition of stuff?

So, what was the definition of murder back in the day?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

But back to my earlier rant..

I dont support capital punishment. It's not that I'm religious but our (and probably your) laws are based upon Christian values (as good a code as any) and thus one of His biggies... 'Thou shall NOT kill'. No caveats, no ifs, no buts, no, well if someone is naughty, may we can kill them a little bit - THOU SHALL NOT KILL (full stop/period)

Actually, the proper translation is "murder" and not "kill". Thou shall not commit murder. The Bible is filled with cases of God tossing out appeals and giving the go-ahead for capital punishment. God himself carried out mass executions by destroying entire cities and civilizations. Of course, he didn't hang 'em all (rope was a valuable commodity back then)....he used fires and floods.
No, I'm not a Bible thumper, just some stuff I remember from Sunday school. I also feel the death penalty should only be used in extreme cases, and this is one of those cases. [:/]

I'm quite happy with the idea letting God bump off Saddam Hussein rather than having a human do it. Let's wait for a spontaneous fire or flood to get him.

In all fairness to the victims of Saddam's regime he should be punished in accordance with Islamic law, the predominant religion in that region and to which Saddam subscribes. It matters not what my beliefs are, only the beliefs of the society upon which he was found guilty of these atrocities, a society he is a member of and is to be held accountable to for his actions.
If it were up to me he would be hanged today. But it's not my call.

(Kallend! I checked out you web site...I used to have an R/C Cub just like that, only mine had a .65 for power. I did love flying that thing, especially off water.)

I thought the use of chemical weapons was outlawed by international law, yet we still turned a blind eye when Saddam used them throughout the war with Iran. You cannot hold Saddam 100% responsible. We helped him and really didn't give a crap what he did with those weapons.

I never went to Sunday school so I'll take your word for it.... But it's a bit like most other stuff, they never seem to say exactly what they mean - if they meant murder why not say murder. Or do these churchified folk like to be deliberately ambiguous so they can win arguments by changing the definition of stuff?

So, what was the definition of murder back in the day?

You pretty much hit the nail right on the head. For many centuries only the leaders of the church were allowed access to the Bible. Unless you were one of the few you had no choice but to believe what they told you was written in the Bible and follow their laws. Christianity was not a very nice religion in those days, putting to death any who questioned the leadership. For much of their rule the common man was totally illiterate, even to the point that most had no idea what century they were living in, let alone what year.
So, yes, the church was "deliberately ambiguous so they can win arguments by changing the definition of stuff." It was a power that the church had no qualms in taking full advantage of.

"So, what was the definition of murder back in the day?"

What we consider to be "murder" today is pretty much the same as what it was back then. The actual word used to convey the meaning may have changed, but the context is the same.

Yet the Bible is full of killings in the name of justice or religion.

Why do you oppose the dealth penalty?

I support it based on the old school "eye for an eye". I don't think that a cold blooded killer should be ever set free. I don't think they can be rehabilitated and I really do not see the problem with putting them to death.

I hope they hang him from the neck until dead, dead, dead. I hope all the Muslim bigots take to the streets with a big bullseye in them in protest so that our predator drones can lock a target on them and fire. Anyone one who is a sempathizer of hussan is an enemy of the state of america, and should be dealt with swift and merciless.

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

No (a lot of people are killed over there for far less)... but they need to impress their new masters.

my point is that they don't need to "impress their new masters" These guys have it in for Saddam big time, and even if we weren't around they would have wanted to string him up anyway.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

I'm sure that you're right.

It's a bit of a side note for this thread, but the only way that they have not got their hands on him is through the destruction of a once advanced country and slaughter of countless innocents.... Now that is the real shame IMHO. History will not be recording this chapter of our history as a glowing heroic saga.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I support it based on the old school "eye for an eye". .

That is the Old Testament that Jesus came to revies. Jesus taught "turn the other cheek."

True Christians would never have advocated invading Iraq or even Afghanistan. True Christians would seek a dialog with them, and offer to clothe and feed the poor of the middle East and Africa.

There are a lot of born again Christians, but almost none who truly follow the teachings of Christ.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

OK, so as its Eid tomorrow, I'm bringing my estimation forwards. I think he will hang tonight at 2330 Hrs Iraqi time.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

That is the Old Testament that Jesus came to revies. Jesus taught "turn the other cheek."

Coke vs new Coke. God said 'eye for an eye', then comes Jesus saying 'well now just turn the other cheek'. So God was wrong? An Amendment to the Bible?

True Christians would never have advocated invading Iraq or even Afghanistan. True Christians would seek a dialog with them, and offer to clothe and feed the poor of the middle East and Africa.

Three things about True Christains for ya:
1. Inquisition
2. Crusaides
3. Witch Trials

From the news:

"He was in very high spirits and clearly readying himself," Badie Aref, another defence lawyer, said after Saddam met half-brothers Watban and Sabawi, who are also both held at Camp Cropper, near Baghdad Airport.

"He told them he was happy he would meet his death at the hands of his enemies and be a martyr, not just languish in jail. He . . . gave them letters to his family in anticipation."

---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

No (a lot of people are killed over there for far less)... but they need to impress their new masters.

I'm a bit curious, as to the end result after Sadam's hanging. Was our 9/11 and other incidences of terrorism just the beginning of world terrorism? This could get real interesting.

Chuck