skysaintj

Evolution - Satan's biggest brilliant and magnificent plan !!

I think it has to do with an unwillingness to modify ones beliefs, especially if what is proposed contradicts what is "written."

I believe that sword cuts both ways. Genetic selection can be proven and observed everyday of our lives. A dog has eight pups. Everyone has slightly different markings. Some are strong, healthy, and agressive. Some are runts. If nature runs its course without human intervention[Oh, it was such a runt and I felt sorry for it.] the runts die.

I've never had a problem with it. I practise it in my garden if I am saving seed.

No life ever came from anything that did not have life.

Evolutionist/atheists so hate the idea of a supreme being that could have set everything in motion and let it run its course that they spend their only life trying to disprove it. All they have to accept is the possibility that it happened and many of their struggles will be over.

>Evolutionist/atheists so hate the idea of a supreme being that
>could have set everything in motion and let it run its course that they
>spend their only life trying to disprove it.

I'm sure you'd consider me an evolutionist. The idea that a supreme being set everything in motion (in my language, set Planck's Constant, the gravitational constant etc and then just stepped back and let it all be) doesn't bother me. But by the same token, if we discover that Planck's Constant is what it is for a very specific reason, I'm not going to take that as a challenge to my faith, the way many religious types see science as a challenge to _their_ faith.

Science doesn't imply that God doesn't exist. There just isn't any evidence to prove god does or doesn't exist. If there is no evidence of something then why would I believe in it?

Have we yet seen to the farthest reaches of the universe? Do we believe that it continues without end? Why? There is no evidence.

Science doesn't imply that God doesn't exist. There just isn't any evidence to prove god does or doesn't exist. If there is no evidence of something then why would I believe in it?

Have we yet seen to the farthest reaches of the universe? Do we believe that it continues without end? Why? There is no evidence.

I think that's one of those things that we have ideas about, but as we learn more those ideas will change dramatically, at least for people whose belief systems are flexible enough to incorporate new knowledge. I'm sure some folks will stand by the "old" understanding, though, because for some reason it's important to them....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Well actually in some ways we very nearly have.

Try googling CoBE and HUDF, its amazing stuff!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Have we yet seen to the farthest reaches of the universe?

Yeah, actually, we pretty much have. At least by our current understanding of what the universe is.

Do we believe that it continues without end?

No. Actually, for us, there is a pretty hard drop off. It does, as far as our current understanding can go, end.

Why?

How much do you know about things like background radiation and Doppler shift?

There is no evidence.

Actually, there is!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

The Bible isn't a science book. That's not its purpose. However, scientific ideas are present in the Bible:

It also occurs to me that The Bible isn't a very good Math book.

How does it define Pi again? Oh yeah, 3. (I Kings 7:23)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You're both sidestepping the point.

Wendy, you say we have changed less morally and spiritually. We have changed a lot morally since the bible was written. There is a lot in there that we discard based on modern morality. Was the 'good' stuff in the bible divinely inspired and the 'bad' stuff not?

Speedracer,

Matters of the soul & one's relationship with God ARE important to the focus of the Bible.

Then why isn't that all there is? If God was able to dictate the purely spiritual passages of the bible why did he allow the waters to be muddied with physical and moral mistakes inserted by man in the other sections? He would have known that they would be taken as literal truth for over two millenia (given a pre 500BC date for the OT) so why allow them to be so mistaken?

God allows a lot of things.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Great. Well, while we're on the subject of what God allows I'll repost a few questions regarding the devil that were ignored earlier on in the thread,

1) Have people been denied a place in heaven due to the Satan's trickery who otherwise would have been accepted?
2) Are Heaven and Hell eternal judgements (ie, once you're in, you're in)?
3) In Heaven are we restored to a 'pre original sin' state?
4) Is God Omnipotent?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

>Have we yet seen to the farthest reaches of the universe?

Basically, yes we have. We've seen microwave radiation (remnants of the Big Bang) from as far away as the edge of the universe. (Edge of the universe = edge of our universe's event horizon.)

>Do we believe that it continues without end?

The universe we can observe? Nope, it has a finite boundary.

Any imaginable universes? Yep, there's no end to them. But that's because our imagination is pretty good.

That doesn't make it any more credible.

That's not what I meant by that. The insinuation above was that they were a bunch of primitive dolts who didn't know any better. The evidence does not show that. I wasn't getting into the issue of credibility. However, their inteligence does add to that.

Compared to the culture and intellectual achievements of the Greeks, the Israelites were indeed primitive dolts.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

That doesn't make it any more credible. The quality of the writing has nothing to do with the intelectual content.

That's BS. Can you spell intellectual? Proper spelling, punctuation, and sentence formation doesn't just happen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great. Well, while we're on the subject of what God allows I'll repost a few questions regarding the devil that were ignored earlier on in the thread,

1) Have people been denied a place in heaven due to the Satan's trickery who otherwise would have been accepted?
2) Are Heaven and Hell eternal judgements (ie, once you're in, you're in)?
3) In Heaven are we restored to a 'pre original sin' state?
4) Is God Omnipotent?

I'll play since you seem to need a playmate.

[1] Jesus said the road that leads to heaven is straight and narrow, and few there be that find it.

Satan can do nothing without God's permission, and in the end, wherever we wind up is to the Glory of God.

[2] Yes. We are sealed unto the day of redemption.

[3] Yes. The difference is that we have a glorified body, whether physical or spiritual, I do not know, but we will never suffer the ravages of sin, such as old age, disease, sorrow, pain, or death.

[4] Yes. Not a problem for me. His grace is sufficient for me.

That doesn't make it any more credible. The quality of the writing has nothing to do with the intelectual content.

That's BS. Can you spell intellectual? Proper spelling, punctuation, and sentence formation doesn't just happen.

Right! ;)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You can't come up with anything better then a comment on my typo?