likearock

How should Michael Richards deal with the guys who heckled him?

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_5589.aspx

So first they heckle him, now they want to cash in on the anger they provoked? Sure, he went over the top, looks like that Kramer thing wasn't an act after all. I would concede he owes an apology to the other blacks in the audience, but to the schmucks who heckled him? I'd say no.

I don't know what you mean by the Kramer thing not being an act. I don't recall ever hearng him use anything racial on Seinfeld.

As far as using the "N" word. I think most agree it's an offensive term and shouldn't be used at anytime by anyone. But if you listen to many black comedians, they use it with impunity. So why is it OK for blacks to use the word but not OK for a white comedian? If we all agree it's offensive then shouldn't it be offensive whenever anyone uses it without regard to the users race?

Richards should apologize both publicly and privately but I don't think he should be held to a double standard.

Nothing in the article to desrcibe the heckling, other that saying he's not funny. If a Stand up comic cant take some heckling,,, it's time for a careeer change. I dont think he's funny either
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Nothing in the article to desrcibe the heckling, other that saying he's not funny. If a Stand up comic cant take some heckling,,, it's time for a careeer change. I dont think he's funny either

It is kind of shame that we only have the tape of Richards' rant but nothing of what led up to it. I seriously doubt that he got that angry simply because someone said he wasn't funny.

Ideally, he should have controlled himself. But unless you know what was said to provoke him, you don't have the full story.

The irony here is that Jesse Jackson, one of the biggest racists of all time, who has spent his life stirring the racism pot, has Richards on his show and basically coerces an apology.

For sure Richards had already made a huge donation to Jackson before 'ol Jesse would agree to be seen with him.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

The irony here is that Jesse Jackson, one of the biggest racists of all time, who has spent his life stirring the racism pot, has Richards on his show and basically coerces an apology.

For sure Richards had already made a huge donation to Jackson before 'ol Jesse would agree to be seen with him.

Do you have any evidence of that, or is it pure speculation?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have any evidence of that, or is it pure speculation?

It's been his MO for as long as he's kept himself in the spotlight.

I wonder why it's acceptable in our society to make harsh attacks against many groups of people, even to the extent of making dishonest stereotypes, but it's taboo to make similar criticisms of blacks.

Can you imagine the backlash if people verbally attacked blacks the same way people attack Christians or political ideologues?

As far as using the "N" word. I think most agree it's an offensive term and shouldn't be used at anytime by anyone. But if you listen to many black comedians, they use it with impunity. So why is it OK for blacks to use the word but not OK for a white comedian? If we all agree it's offensive then shouldn't it be offensive whenever anyone uses it without regard to the users race?

it's about context. not about the word.

George Carlin explains it in one of his monologues.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Talk to most black guys my age (50s) and they will tell you it IS offensive. Most of the black guys that use that word never had to drink in a separate fountain, sit in a theatre balcony, use a separate restroom, or denied access to some place because of the color of their skin. Most of those who endured that see it as a racist term. Of course, there were exceptions to that rule. Richard Pryor used the "N" word a lot to get laughs froma mostly white audience. Go figure. :S

steveOrino

Oh, Carlin. I guess it's OK, then. After all who would know better?

:S

Talk to most black guys my age (50s) and they will tell you it IS offensive. Most of the black guys that use that word never had to drink in a separate fountain, sit in a theatre balcony, use a separate restroom, or denied access to some place because of the color of their skin. Most of those who endured that see it as a racist term. Of course, there were exceptions to that rule. Richard Pryor used the "N" word a lot to get laughs froma mostly white audience. Go figure. :S

It is about context, not the word (I hate that word). But what happened at that club was not comedy, but a personal attack against a group.

If you go to a club with your friends and they call your table a bunch of _____ and tell you that you need to go back to ____ and dig your ____ and feed your 8 kids, while POINTING at you, thats unnacceptable. I'd walk out and I would be disturbed.

It wasn't a comedy act, it was a meltdown and that man needs help. Who tried to reach out to him in public? Jerry Seinfeld (Jewish) and Jesse Jackson (Black). Where's his Anglo Hollywood friends? They wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft pole and so many have said his career is OVAH, instead of trying to reach out to him.

Say what you want about Jesse, he know Richards needed to be heard and he gave him the opportunity. SOMEBODY outta help that guy!~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

I wonder why it's acceptable in our society to make harsh attacks against many groups of people, even to the extent of making dishonest stereotypes, but it's taboo to make similar criticisms of blacks.

Can you imagine the backlash if people verbally attacked blacks the same way people attack Christians or political ideologues?

Christians and political ideologues are not a racial group, but groups joined together be shared ideals. It's OK to criticize ideas, but not race.

Simple, really.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

Christians and political ideologues are not a racial group, but groups joined together be shared ideals. It's OK to criticize ideas, but not race.

Simple, really.

Our civil rights laws equally protect against racial and religious discrimination.

So, why is it open season on one, while the other is completely off limits? It seems like certain types of bigotry is completely acceptable.

Our civil rights laws equally protect against racial and religious discrimination.

So, why is it open season on one, while the other is completely off limits? It seems like certain types of bigotry is completely acceptable.

Fair enough. But how is it open season on religion? Michael Richards would be equally ridiculed had he said "They are Jews! In WWII we'd know how to deal with you!"

I just don't recall any recent example of something similar to this incident being perpatrated against someone because of their religion.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I agree. There is a double standard. The most glaring example in the US is that, since 9/11, the types of bigoted remarks that would get an American in hot water if spoken about blacks, Jews or Hispanics seem to be OK if spoken about Muslims. This can be seen regularly in Speakers Corner.

What Cosmo, err Michael did was wrong. however we didnt see what led up to it, not an excuse, just a point. Did anyone see this rant by another white comedian Bill Burr?
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=bill+burr+philadelphia
part 2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=c8iyrCAuVB0&mode=related&search=

those people treated him, and the previos comics like horse shit. Its part of the game.

Question: How many times has a black comedian used a racial slur against a white person? countless. Cracker, honky, dorky white guy, whatever. Free speech is a blessing and a poison pill, have fun!

Did anyone see this rant by another white comedian Bill Burr?

That was priceless!

Question: How many times has a black comedian used a racial slur against a white person? countless. Cracker, honky, dorky white guy, whatever.

... almost every time I've seen a black stand-up comedian there's been white jokes.
Oh, hello again!

'SEINFELD' SOARS ON RACIST RANT
By DON KAPLAN
November 30, 2006 -- THE K-K-Kramer scandal murdered Michael Richards' career - but it's doing wonders for sales of the latest "Seinfeld" DVD.

Season 7 of the popular sitcom is outselling the Season 6 set (released on the same day last year) by more than 75 percent, and more than 90 percent over season 5 at some online DVD retailers, according to TMZ.com.

On Barnes and Nobel's Web site, the DVD set is the sixth-best selling and Amazon ranks it in 12th place.

"I think the only explanation that could be is that there's a Kramer curiosity factor," says Dr. Robert Thompson, director of Syracuse University's Center for the Study of Popular Television.

"I can understand that, after what happened, there's a resurgent interest in 'Seinfeld,' and that seems to be expressing itself through people watching the show more and buying more DVDs.

"Boy, is it ever weird to watch 'Seinfeld' now," Thompson added.

Richards "carries baggage, when you see this happy-go-lucky guy barge into that apartment and talk about being 'master of his domain.' That really means something different now."

A video-phone recording of Richards exploding in a hateful, racist rant while performing his stand-up comedy act earlier this month leaked onto the Internet just days before the season 7 DVD set was released.

He should meet with a respected journalist and explain what caused the outburst and then acknowledge that there was no excuse for his actions, and that his acionsw were plain ugly. After that he should take a long vacation from entertainment, and seek professional help. He should not however meet with the likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson..etc just so they can capitalise on his outburst to inflame racial tensions for political gain.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I was listening to some early morning radio hosts in Chicago debate this. The consensus was that "freedom of speech exists to protect what you don't want to hear, not what you do want to hear"