freethefly

NYPD Bullet Kills Groom on Wedding Day

I don't understand what this black/white argument is. Are people trying to say it was a racist attack? I find it hard to believe you'd get away with being a racist cop in New York for very long. You'd be out the force extremely fast.

Unfortunately racism IS alive and well in police departments across the US. There are countless incidents proving this.

I find it amusing that many people seem to find it ok that a civilian can practically execute someone for being on their property but if a police officer fears for his life hes not allowed to shoot. What the fuck? Double standards! >:( Same over here, if we get the shit kicked out of us, very rare for any serious conviction. But if we are found guilty of excessive force we'd lose our jobs, receive a stiff penalty and be publically humiliated by the media as some sort of public relations exercise.

Absolutely this is a double standard. You cannot expect society to apply the same standards to the untrained joe schmo protecting his house and highly trained law enforcement. The average citizen is not given the same level of authority nor training as a police officer has and should not be governed by the same rules of conduct.With power comes responsibility and accountability, a concept that a lot of people talk about but never seem to understand.

"A veteran officer fired his weapon 31 times, emptying two full magazines, Kelly said."

If this is indeed true, I find it extremely difficult that this officer acted purely in self defense and was not at least partially motivated by anger.

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

BUT in many large cities... being a car full of( Pick your favorite color) in the wrong neighborhood( Pick your opposite color) and you get in a minor fender bender.. and out come the guns no uniforms.. no police cars in sight........ you gotta ask yourself... what are YOU going to do... you gonna whip out your gun and start blasting OR are you going to try like fuck to get the hell out of there.

The problem is that I see both sides to this. Yes if someone who I had an altercation with comes towards my car with a gun I am going to scram, and if that means running him over then too bad. Conversely if I am a cop trying to effect an arrest and the suspect tries too run me over I am going to unload on him without hesitation since I do not wish to get squashed. There may be more to the story. Whether or not the suspects were aware these guys were cops remains unanswered and for all we know the cops might have identified themselves before the suspect even got into his car (then again maybe not).

If the suspects were truly unaware of the status of the cops then the issue of concern here should be one of procedure. The question then to ask is "How can we assure plainclothes cops effectively identify themselves to a suspect before a tragedy occurs?"

I guess that is punishable by death in this case.... it seeems to me.. it happens far too often.... just my perception

There are certainly racist cops out there like in any profession but I will abstain from comment on that until I know more.

unless like in another thread the individual is just trying to clen out the gene pool a bit.

Missed that one. Which thread are you referring to?
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Everyo

I find it amusing that many people seem to find it ok that a civilian can practically execute someone for being on their property but if a police officer fears for his life hes not allowed to shoot. What the fuck? Double standards! >:( .

Well, taking a clue from another current thread, as I understand it, the police were on the little white-haired old lady's property, uninvited, after kicking her door in. She wasn't on police property.

If a police officer doesn't like the working conditions of the job, he has the option of leaving the force.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2680091&page=1

NEW YORK Nov 26, 2006 (AP)—Three officers, including the officer hit by the car, were treated and released. (Not seriously injured) Another detective remained hospitalized Sunday for hypertension (itchy trigger finger).

Kelly said undercover officers were inside the club to document illicit activity. With one more violation the club would be shut down, Kelly said.

On Sunday, the group 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care said it is issuing a vote of no confidence in Kelly over the shooting. It is also calling for the removal of the chief of the Organized Crime Control Bureau, Anthony Izzo, who it says created the undercover unit involved in the incident.

Additionally, the group wants a re-examination of what it says is a policy that allows officers from the organized crime control unit to consume alcohol on the job. "Who knows whether or not that was a factor in this particular shooting?" said Marq Claxton, a retired police detective and one of the founders of the group.

It sounds like the headline should be:

Drunk Undercover Police Shoot Unarmed Bachelor Party; Police Unharmed
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

If drunks can be held responsible for their driving, they should be held responsible for their shooting, as well.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

It has since been noted in the globe and mail that during the initial altercation one of the victims yelled "yo, get my gun", and the decease had yelled "Let's fuck him up". Let us analyse that statement "Let's (plural) fuck him (singular) up" threats of guns and demonstarting the wilingness to use of numerical superiority to "fuck some guy up" over some perceived slight, diminishes the likelyhood that these were a couple of innocent angels who were gunned down for "driving while black".

I acknowledge that these facts alone do not mean they deserved to die, but I am now even less inclined than before to crucify the cops over this until they have been subject to a fair inquiry.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

This is flat out murder.>:(

Dude, unless you're privvy to the entire police report, all eyewitness testimony, and all empirical evidence, you're not in a position to conclude this.

Let the courts sort this out. Stay dispassionate about it. We have a system for handling these things.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

It has since been noted in the globe and mail that during the initial altercation one of the victims yelled "yo, get my gun", and the decease had yelled "Let's fuck him up".

I'm not yet willing to either accept or reject this as being true. Who reported that this was said by the victims? The police, or a neutral source?

Edit: the 2 Gobe and Mail articles I found both said:

According to Commissioner Kelly, the groom was involved in a verbal dispute outside the club after 4 a.m. One of his friends made a reference to a gun.

That's all I see.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061125.wny-shootings1125/BNStory/International/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061127.wnyshooting1127/BNStory/International/

It has since been noted in the globe and mail that during the initial altercation one of the victims yelled "yo, get my gun", and the decease had yelled "Let's fuck him up".

I'm not yet willing to either accept or reject this as being true. Who reported that this was said by the victims? The police, or a neutral source?

I don't recall. I read it in the Globe this morning on the bus but I have already thrown it out.

Dude, unless you're privvy to the entire police report, all eyewitness testimony, and all empirical evidence, you're not in a position to conclude this.

Let the courts sort this out. Stay dispassionate about it. We have a system for handling these things.

I have read a number of accounts and if I, a regular person, were to do what the cops did in this case, not being a cop, it would be called murder, flat out. If a car came towards me, I have the option of getting out of the way. I do not have the option of emptying a clip on the driver and then reloading and emptying another clip.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I have read a number of accounts and if I, a regular person, were to do what the cops did in this case, not being a cop, it would be called murder, flat out. If a car came towards me, I have the option of getting out of the way. I do not have the option of emptying a clip on the driver and then reloading and emptying another clip.

...All legally moot, not to mention irrelevant.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

Irrelevant? If am threatened by someone in car should I not have the option to empty a clip on them and reload to empty another? Or, is this option only availabe to cops?
Neil Young

Irrelevant? If am threatened by someone in car should I not have the option to empty a clip on them and reload to empty another? Or, is this option only availabe to cops?

Didn't you just post in another thread

Unless you have been there... your opinion is weightless without merit.

Looks like a lot of people are exercising a healthy dose of "fill in the blanks - to conform with your ideology" in this thread.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I am looking to find facts of this case, not emotional or socio-political stances/hypotheticals. The former are useful for coming to a legal conclusion, the latter are not.

I agree. I must also add that this is an extremely sad case for everyone involved and does nothing to help the image of the police. Also, my nephew is a police officer in the Kansas City area so I am not at all against the police but do frown on those who abuse the power entrusted to them. They are suppose to be professional and should conduct themselves in that manner. Not like a gunslinging sheriff of the wild west.
Neil Young

Looks like a lot of people are exercising a healthy dose of "fill in the blanks - to conform with your ideology" in this thread.

I think we're all guilty:) of this. Conform, conform, I command you!!;)
Neil Young

I am looking to find facts of this case, not emotional or socio-political stances/hypotheticals. The former are useful for coming to a legal conclusion, the latter are not.

I think the CNN.com article has some interesting facts. There were 7 officers present. Two did not fire their weapons at all. One shot his 31 times, despite never seeing a gun or receiving return fire.

Also, they're some pretty poor shots. Out of 50+ rounds,

Bell was struck twice. Joseph Guzman, 31, was shot at least 11 times, and Trent Benefield, 23, was hit three times. Guzman was in critical condition Monday and Benefield was stable.

The officers' shots struck the men's car 21 times. They also hit nearby homes and shattered windows at a train station, though no residents were injured.

And finally:

The department's policy prohibits shooting at moving vehicles states "unless deadly force is being used against the police officers or another person present, by means other than a moving vehicle."

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Staten Island News

The situation began to unravel when one of the officers alerted the backup team outside that a man inside was possibly armed. During a later altercation among patrons, police claim they heard a member of Bell's bachelor party, say, "Yo, get my gun."

One of the undercover detectives responded by retrieving his weapon and confronting Bell and his friends after they entered their car. Kelly suggested that it was unorthodox for the officer to blow his cover rather than rely on other officers to make the arrest.

"He was still acting in an undercover capacity when he followed the group down the street and apparently took some enforcement action, and that was unusual," Kelly said.

Contagious fire was not a valid excuse, Sharpton said.

"To say that one gun causes an atmosphere where you keep shooting is to tell me that if one policeman makes a mistake, you could be subjected innocently to what amounts to a firing squad," he said.

"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

I agree. I must also add that this is an extremely sad case for everyone involved and does nothing to help the image of the police. Also, my nephew is a police officer in the Kansas City area so I am not at all against the police but do frown on those who abuse the power entrusted to them. They are suppose to be professional and should conduct themselves in that manner. Not like a gunslinging sheriff of the wild west.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1967136;search_string=police;#1967136

"Come on, everybody knows that since 911 all cops have been given a get out of jail free card so they can be the biggest asshats out there! Just ask jenfly00.....:S" -Rushmc
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

There just isn't any evidence out there to support any conclusion at this point. I do have a question however.

It is against NYPD policy to shoot at a vehicle, even if it is used as a weapon. if it turns out that this is what happened, what should the punishment be for killing a person while departamental policy? Is it enough for a murder charge?

There just isn't any evidence out there to support any conclusion at this point. I do have a question however.

It is against NYPD policy to shoot at a vehicle, even if it is used as a weapon.

Where did you get that information? I realize it wasn't the case here, but if people are shooting at you from a car it's permissible to shoot back.

Where did you get that information? I realize it wasn't the case here, but if people are shooting at you from a car it's permissible to shoot back.

I meant if the vehicle was used as the only weapon. You are right, if they are shooting from the car, they are certainly alowed to return fire.

The department's policy prohibits shooting at moving vehicles states "unless deadly force is being used against the police officers or another person present, by means other than a moving vehicle."

Every police force has its own policy, but this does not overrule law. For example, one of our policies is to always arrest at a domestic incident. If you got no powers of arrest, after you check out the situation, then that would be unlawful to arrest, despite what policy dictates.

No one, not even your employer, can overrule your legal protection. ie. Honest held belief of imminent danger and reacting to that danger.

Lets stop digging out dirt and abstract quotes from the media and let the courts decide if the force was lawful or not