Mitchell3980

First rig. Opinions and advice!

Hello!

Never posted in a forum before but just after opinions on my first rig I've just ordered.

So, about me - Just got my B license (50 jumps), I jump in the UK, I'm 160-170lbs depending on how much cake I decided to eat over recent weeks before weigh in.

The first canopy I went for is a Sabre 2 170.
PD wingload chart says novice to be 77kg (which I am, at most) so guessed it would be a suitable starting point for me.

Jumped 300, 290, 280, 260, 240, 230 and 210's all fine, takes me about an hour to hit the ground where the wing loading has been so low, so wanted something a bit more exciting to start working on my general skills.

I'm not a lunatic under canopy wanting to do barrel rolls and swoops and stuff, I get my kicks from freefall and FS rather than canopy stuff, so just want to land safely and get back up there.

So just after opinions on the sabre 2 170 as a first canopy ? And do you think given my details I'll be okay with it once it arrives ? Will probably have done 60-70 jumps by the time it does. Also, is it easy to pack ? I see reviews of people saying some canopies are harder than others.

Cheers.

It's OK canopy for a beginner, especially if you can score one for good price. You might end up having couple rough landings before you get the flare dialed in but shouldn't be anything too drastic...

Packing, all the canopies are easy if you know what you're doing and vice versa. If you get something old and well worn it will be easier than packing something brand new but if it's the right size for container it's no biggie...

Mitchell3980

The flare much different from a 210 ? Not had any hard landings yet...

That depends on a number of factors on both canopies (line age and type, how long are the steering lines and age and state of the fabric). Wingloading is also an important factor.

But more importantly than the flare, which most probably will be just fine, is how faster it is, and how you deal with it. You are skipping one size. That is normally not a wise move.

Quagmirian

What's your exit weight?

That's a good question.

OP says 77kg, which is about 170 lbs.
If that is the exit weight, then he's going to be loading right around 1:1

If it's his "stepping out of the shower" weight, then his exit weight is going to be closer to 200 lbs. That puts him at around 1.2:1
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo