nigel99

Religous Exemptions

We were discussing in our office the muslim police officer who didn't want to work at the Isreali embassy in London. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5408470.stm

Colleague then mentioned this law ...

"Sikhs who wear Turbans need not wear crash helmets when they ride Motor Cycles or Scooters. They have been allowed to wear Turban as their only headgear. In accordance with the Motor-Cycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976 passed by the British Parliament in 1976, Section 2A "exempts any follower of the Sikh religion while he is wearing a turban" from having to wear a crash helmet"

Is it right for such exemptions to be made?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

We were discussing in our office the muslim police officer who didn't want to work at the Isreali embassy in London. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5408470.stm

"Sikhs who wear Turbans need not wear crash helmets when they ride Motor Cycles or Scooters. They have been allowed to wear Turban as their only headgear. In accordance with the Motor-Cycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976 passed by the British Parliament in 1976, Section 2A "exempts any follower of the Sikh religion while he is wearing a turban" from having to wear a crash helmet"

I say no, it is not right.

Special helmets can be made to accomodate them if needed. :D

I would think that their turban would get blown off from the wind. Seriously, how are they held on?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Should exemptions to the law be made because of political affiliations? No.

Should exemptions to the law be made because of social or professional standing? No.

Should exemptions to the law be made because of ethnic origin? No.

Likewise, religious beliefs are not special. People are not deserving of any extra consideration because of them. They should be subject the same shit rules as everyone else.

Since this deals with a police officer, I'm going to limit this comment to police forces. Police are not conscripted into their jobs, they volunteer. They are para-military forces, and they must obey orders from superiors in a military fashion. They have a duty to uphold all laws enacted by the legislature, even if they disagree with them. They are not permitted, in the field, to second-guess and effectively nullify certain laws by refusing to uphold them. So a police officer who is opposed to the policies of a certain country should not be permitted to refuse orders to protect that country's embassy – any more than a police officer who opposes abortion should be permitted to refuse to protect a Planned Parenthood clinic during a protest, or a constable in the UK who is staunchly Labour should be permitted to refuse to protect a Tory convention. To me, this is a no-brainer.

Seriously, how are they held on?

Tuck tabs of course.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

He should be exempted from duty, without pay, permanently.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

That story has been bown out of proportion and twisted. He didn't want to guard the embassy not because he's a Muslim (He's since had no objection) but because his wife is Lebaneese. It was a welfare issue not a religious one. He also did not refuse but made a request to a senior officer to be excused, a very different scenario.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

I am sure in the policemans case that he was quite justified in being a UK citizen on duty in an embassy in London and feeling that he was unsafe/threatened by being in the Israeli embassy. :P

What are your thoughts on the turbans though? Guy who works for me is really peaved by that one...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Since this deals with a police officer, I'm going to limit this comment to police forces. Police are not conscripted into their jobs, they volunteer. They are para-military forces, and they must obey orders from superiors in a military fashion. They have a duty to uphold all laws enacted by the legislature, even if they disagree with them. They are not permitted, in the field, to second-guess and effectively nullify certain laws by refusing to uphold them. So a police officer who is opposed to the policies of a certain country should not be permitted to refuse orders to protect that country's embassy – any more than a police officer who opposes abortion should be permitted to refuse to protect a Planned Parenthood clinic during a protest, or a constable in the UK who is staunchly Labour should be permitted to refuse to protect a Tory convention. To me, this is a no-brainer.

They are not permitted, in the field, to second-guess and effectively nullify certain laws by refusing to uphold them.

Now, back to reality.....