IJskonijn

Sewing machine controllability at slow speeds

Gotta love all the people replying to 3 year old posts, not seeing that it was a reincarnated zombie thread.

I don't have enough experience with different types of machines, but seam quality with a horizontal axis hook (bobbin oriented vertically, right?) is a function of thread tension being appropriate for the material...
I think.

(edited)

I read that a vertical axis hook (the bobbin is horizontal), gives a more beautiful and stable seam, but for this you need to select the right threads. That is, the direction of twisting of the thread should be opposite to the direction of rotation of the hook. Some mechanics also say that these sewing machines are faster, because they have a special mechanism that prevents the thread from tangling when leaving the shuttle. Sewing machines with such a hook are significantly more expensive than models with a horizontal axis hook, so I wondered if it was worth spending more.

Edited by Denis Vranich

Oscillating (not rotary) hook machine produces the highest quality seam and do not twist the thread, but have a horizontal axis of hook, and mostly primitive fabric transporting mechanism. High speed sewing is not the top priority for intricate designs with high precision, and repair, for my opinion.

• Like 1