lawrocket

Spain's Policy on Runway Models - Good or Bad

In my not so humble opinion, politicians putting tax payers money towards influencing fashion shows are slightly smarter than the people that pay any attention to said shows. That's not saying a lot, but lat least the politicians are trying to expand their base of power.

It doesn´t work that way, In Spain the government spends part of the tax payers money to promote art, culture, sport, etc. and eveybody is happy with it. Now, if someone doesn´t want the government to meddle with their bussiness (and they rarely do) they only have to reject their money, and since thre is no law about skinnines there will not be any problem.

Huge asses and beer guts are far more dangerous overall than skinnyness. If the government wants to use my money, put it there - in preventative measures. Don't f'ing use it on something as silly as *models*.

huge assess and beer guts are not any more dangerous than bulimia or anorexia. They are precisely doing what you want, taking preventive measures by promoting a healthy standard among a group of people than unfortunately are role models for others.

I just wouldnt use the BMI indicator to assess a person overall health.

I'm not mad about the policy, but I don't agree with it.

You could say "You're American. What do I (the Spanish peoples) care what you think?" And it's true that the laws that Spain enacts has less effect on the US, but it does influence other governments and cultures.

Example... their models can't work there anymore cuz they're too thin, so they hop a border and work elsewhere. Or the "heavier" models migrate from one country to another.

Borders are weak barriers.

I personally would be quite annoyed if the US government enacted that law. Not that I wouldn't rather the models be more "healthy" but because it's none of their business.

"Models are role models"... where are parents

"Health Issues" Already stated that obesity is a bigger health issue, but yet we're not firing the secretary for weighing 250#.

If anyone should have made that move, it should have been the union for the models that should be looking out for their health and welfare. Or the people by just not buying whatever item was being modelled by someone "too skinny."

I have read most of the posts and get the feeling many people have some reading comprehension issues.

A large sponsor of an event put some conditions on the sizeable donation they are making. The event has the option of not accepting the sponsorship and try and get the money from sponsors willing to give them the money without said conditions.

In this case the sponsor is a regional government. No laws are used, not even created or proposed. Just a condition on sponsorship money.

Other fashion shows in Spain can use skinny models. Even fashion shows in the same region, who get their funding from a different place.

Talk about creating a mountain out of a mole hill....geez.

That makes it better... but it still reflects governmental discrimination.

Maybe just phrased differently.

I do admit, I didn't read the whole article... and spent more time on the posts to get different perspectives, so my reply was with the understanding that it was a proposed law and not just pulling of sponsorship, but I still don't agree with it.

designers also have to understand the influence they have on young girls,and take responsibility

(Above quoted from Women's Forum)

It's not really their job to. [:/]

I agree with where you're coming from though. :)
Whose to blame, really? When I see a breast implant ad in Seventeen magazine (whose target audience and readership is actually 12-15 year-olds) do I get mad at the doctor who paid for the ad space? Do I get mad at the magazine for allowing the ad to be placed? Do I get mad at the parents for letting their 13-year-old read a magazine that has breast implant ads in it, or at least not discussing such things with their daughter beforehand?

It's a vicious cycle. IMO, the answer certainly isn't making a law requiring any adult who has influence on young girls to adhere to such guidelines--especially when it's other adults who are buying their products.

:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

of course it is a vicious cycle, but we can break it, only if every party in it realises the power it has. I'd like to think that people are smart enough to make up their own mind in good judgement, but that's another fantasy.. People get influenced realy easily, especially kids, so we should be aware of what we are teaching them, of what we are letting them believe. Especially people with a lot of power like media, fashion industry, etc... It's not that they can't use skinny models, but they should put something real next to it, keep things in perspective...
fear is the mindkill

It's not that they can't use skinny models, but they should put something real next to it, keep things in perspective...

goofy "unreal" models :S

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

It's not that they can't use skinny models, but they should put something real next to it, keep things in perspective...

Obesity certainly isn't any better....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

It doesn´t work that way, In Spain the government spends part of the tax payers money to promote art, culture, sport, etc. and eveybody is happy with it.

So they take tax payers money and promote whatever *they* want. And everyone is not happy. I ain't. And I pay taxes here where we have a similar system.

The thing is: here they use it to strongly pressure private organisations. Not cool at all.

Now, if someone doesn´t want the government to meddle with their bussiness (and they rarely do) they only have to reject their money, and since thre is no law about skinnines there will not be any problem.

You miss the point. The government is still offering MY money to whoever is willing to subject to the governments will. This ain't right.

huge assess and beer guts are not any more dangerous than bulimia or anorexia. They are precisely doing what you want, taking preventive measures by promoting a healthy standard among a group of people than unfortunately are role models for others.

OK, show me how many people die in Spain or Denmark due to bulimia and anorexia. Compare to number of people who die of obesity related illnesses. Tell me: who's the bigger killer?

I just wouldnt use the BMI indicator to assess a person overall health.

No, neither would I , for the reasons mentioned by others. But I don't need that to tell that overweight fat people are more in risk of a host of health problems than non overweight people are.

And we have far, far more overweight/obese people than we have critically skinnies.