sydthe

What Gear Bags are good?

sydthe

Hello,

I just got my first rig. Now I am looking for a gear bag. The size of the system is 160 reserve and 170 main. So not too big. It should hold the rig, helmet, and my jump suit.

Thanks so much :-)

Last spring I got one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skydiver-Syndrome-Gear-Bag-Parachute-Rig-Skydiving-Container-Backpack-Yellow-S19-/221535297299?hash=item3394885f13:g:Dz4AAOxyu~lSSP7P
(see their store, they have several size and color options)

So far I've been happy with it.
JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

I'm largely dependent on public transport and walking. So I always use a 90L trekking backpack. I am unsure of the exact translation but you'll find them at your local outdoor shop. This kind of backpack is way better for your body than your average shoulder-straps-only backpack because the weight sits on your hips instead of your neck and shoulders.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Can I share the worst gear bag? This Monster

I thought it would be cool to roll onto the DZ with my big gear tub, sort my 2 rigs like library books, have a little shelf for altimeter etc...

Worst idea ever. It weight a ton, takes easily 2 people to load up into a pickup, and I can't get it into the house without dinging every corner along the way, and it slides around in the bed of the truck.

:P

=========Shaun ==========

I just got an Ogio Big Mouth, but I need mine to hold more gear than you need. Ogio makes smaller bags also, like the 9800 and the Adrenalin; the brand is highly recommended by the instructors at my dz.
I've also had Ful recommended to me; and my first gear bag was a Samsonite HighSierra.
No matter which you choose I'd recommend one with wheels and a retractable handle, and ALSO some other form of carry-straps, so you can drag it when the terrain is good but easily be able to lift it over mud/gravel or into your car.