nathaniel

New research on agreeableness and intelligence

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2006-08/apa-ppo080106.php

Personality predictors of intelligence change from younger to older adulthood

Disagreeableness is linked to higher intelligence in older people

New Orleans -- An ability to be open to new situations may predict intelligence earlier in life, says a new study, but disagreeableness may predict intelligence later in life. According to the findings, differences in personality predictors of intelligence were found between young adults, and those who retain a normal level of overall cognitive ability in old age and those older adults who are cognitively superior. This study's results will be presented at the 114th annual convention of the American Psychological Association (APA).

Previous investigations of personality-intelligence relationships sampled mainly young adults. This study, conducted by Thomas Baker MA, of York University and Jacqueline Bichsel PhD, of Pennsylvania State University, is the first time both young and older adults are compared on what personality traits predict intelligence in a sample of 381 adults aged 19 to 89 years old. The participant's education level ranged from some high school to graduate degree completion. The sample group was separated into three groups a) young adults (18-60), b) older adults who were cognitively comparable to the younger adults (18-60), and c) older adults who were cognitively superior to both the first and second group (over 60). The older group was separated according to the scores received on a battery of standardized intelligence and personality tests.

Personality predictors of cognitive abilities differed among the three groups studied. Openness and extraversion were important predictors of general knowledge in young adults, presumably the time of life when general knowledge increases fastest, with those higher in openness and lower in extraversion scoring higher on general knowledge. Openness was found to be a strong predictor of young adults' ability to retain general knowledge and store short-term information.

But, in the case of older cognitively comparable adults, personality traits of openness and extraversion had little or no impact on their ability to retain general knowledge. Overall within this group, personality appeared less important in explaining overall differences in cognitive abilities compared to the younger group.

In the cognitively superior older group, who outperformed both the cognitively comparable older adults and the younger adults on every ability tested, "agreeableness was found to have a contrary relationship with general knowledge suggesting that a disagreeable nature may go hand in hand with better vocabulary and knowledge retention in older age," said Baker. This result supports previous research that suggests that those who are highly intelligent may be more aloof and independent.

Interestingly, conscientiousness and openness were predictors of strong short-term memory and visual and auditory processing in older adults, suggesting that "conscientiousness does not necessarily make one "smarter" but could enable older individuals to perform better on tests," said Baker.

This has broad implications for the SC.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

"In the cognitively superior older group, who outperformed both the cognitively comparable older adults and the younger adults on every ability tested, "agreeableness was found to have a contrary relationship with general knowledge suggesting that a disagreeable nature may go hand in hand with better vocabulary and knowledge retention in older age," said Baker. This result supports previous research that suggests that those who are highly intelligent may be more aloof and independent." ___________________________________________________"Grumpy Old Men " comes to mind. LOL_______________________________________________
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

___________________________________________________"Grumpy Old Men " comes to mind. LOL_______________________________________________

I think you hit the nail on the head. However, if you are what you eat and as young as you feel, maybe that can delay the "Grumpy Old Men" syndrome. Sounds good; maybe not the eating part..
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Hey, I'm 49 and can still do a handspring. :ph34r:

I've been told that it doesn't actually count as a handspring if it ends with a scream and a visit to a doctor!:o

In my mid 40's I can still do 4Km in under 6 minutes!:)

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

In my mid 40's I can still do 4Km in under 6 minutes!:)

Mike.

That's freefall + canopy ride, right?

Shhh...:ph34r: It still impresses the hell out of Whuffos when I claim 2Km in the same time!:D

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.