rasmack

Death Penalty Revisited in Poland

Poland death penalty plan condemned :|

At least it is not going to be easy for them:

In our view, the death penalty has no place in the criminal justice system of any modern, civilised country...

Well said.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Money is no argument. It is cheaper to lock people away than to run the capital punishment circus of the US.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

I'm generaly not not in favour of the DP but having read that link, I can't help but agree with you.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Yeah there is no way that any jury or judge would ever let this guy go free. Although if he had a good lawyer he could possibly get off on an insanity plea. Not likely cosidering his current position. I am willing to bet money that he will be convicted and sent to prison for life. Hopefully they will put him in general population and the inmates will have fun with him before beating him to death.

There are some people that are beyond rehabilitation. Why waste money on keeping them alive?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/03/sex.ritual.ap/index.html

Because killing them costs more and vengeance isn't worth it when our fed debt is 8.5T. OKlahoma spent 4 million trying to execute Nichols and lost. Brilliant.

Oh, I know, let's expedite the process. OK, so let's kill more innocent people then in the name of vengeance. Circular argument that always comes back to locking them up for life, that is, for honorable, humane nations.

That is true. If I had my way there wouldn't be 20 years of appeals. That guy should be hung by his neck till dead from the nearest tree 10 min after the verdict is heard.

So you would advocate the state killing innocent people? Hmmm, who's the real murderer here? Do I need to post all the guys who have been on death row for 10 years, 20 years and more and then found to be innocent?

That is true. If I had my way there wouldn't be 20 years of appeals. That guy should be hung by his neck till dead from the nearest tree 10 min after the verdict is heard.

So you would advocate the state killing innocent people? Hmmm, who's the real murderer here? Do I need to post all the guys who have been on death row for 10 years, 20 years and more and then found to be innocent?

Here's a good place to start. www.innocenceproject.org/causes/

Anyone who believes in instant execution clearly doesn't care about killing innocent people.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I'm generaly not not in favour of the DP but having read that link, I can't help but agree with you.

Not sure if I can support the DP in all cases but I do agree that it should apply to those who victimise children. I do think that there should be some basis for appeals just in case we get the wrong guy, but tying the system up for 20 years is a bit much.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Not sure if I can support the DP in all cases but I do agree that it should apply to those who victimise children. I do think that there should be some basis for appeals just in case we get the wrong guy, but tying the system up for 20 years is a bit much.

Richards

Since there are cases on record where innocence has been proven after more than 20 years, how would you deal with that inconvenience? Just tough luck on the innocent guy you killed in error?

Since there are cases on record where innocence has been proven after more than 20 years, how would you deal with that inconvenience? Just tough luck on the innocent guy you killed in error?

I think that people may not be railroaded if the prosecutors and cops could be found guilty and have to serve the innocent persons sentence if they are found guilty of "framing him"

I am no expert, but with modern DNA can we not reduce the likelyhood of a false conviction to almost zero? I would only advocate this if it was absolutely proven beyond a doubt (ie the guy made videos of the act).

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

am no expert, but with modern DNA can we not reduce the likelyhood of a false conviction to almost zero?

No, unless a tissue or fluid sample of the perpetrator is part of the evidence- example, the perp's blood or skin under the vicitim's fingernails after being scratched out in a struggle, semen, hair follicles, saliva, etc. If none of that is part of the available evidence, DNA probably won't do much to either assure or prevent a conviction.

am no expert, but with modern DNA can we not reduce the likelyhood of a false conviction to almost zero?

No, unless a tissue or fluid sample of the perpetrator is part of the evidence- example, the perp's blood or skin under the vicitim's fingernails after being scratched out in a struggle, semen, hair follicles, saliva, etc. If none of that is part of the available evidence, DNA probably won't do much to either assure or prevent a conviction.

Absolutely. Further to that, we can't always trust forensic scientists giving their evidence not to be "Helping-The-Police" as one such scientist in England famously did on several high profile terrorist cases in the 1970's & 1980's. Had there been a death penalty in England at the time, the "Birmingham-Six" and "Guildford-Four" would certainly have been executed rather than being released as innocent.

IF you want more on the infallibility of forensic evidence, then google "Shirley McKie" and follow the whole sick tale of "Forensic-Infallibility".

And that's the whole problem with execution. If someone's imprisoned for life, then they can be released if later proved innocent (it DOES happen). You can't bring the executed back to life.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

Absolutely. Further to that, we can't always trust forensic scientists giving their evidence not to be "Helping-The-Police" as one such scientist in England famously did on several high profile terrorist cases in the 1970's & 1980's. Had there been a death penalty in England at the time, the "Birmingham-Six" and "Guildford-Four" would certainly have been executed rather than being released as innocent.

IF you want more on the infallibility of forensic evidence, then google "Shirley McKie" and follow the whole sick tale of "Forensic-Infallibility".

And that's the whole problem with execution. If someone's imprisoned for life, then they can be released if later proved innocent (it DOES happen). You can't bring the executed back to life.

Mike.

We have a number of cases in Illinois and Texas where the state crime lab "helped" the police by faking evidence, and a number where police obtained confessions by torture (www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=DBUS,DBUS:2006-10,DBUS:en&q=jon+burge+torture). The general consensus among thinking people is that the authorities cannot be trusted the 100% that would be needed to justify a death sentence, either with forensic evidence or with confessions

There are some people that are beyond rehabilitation. Why waste money on keeping them alive?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/03/sex.ritual.ap/index.html

Methinks that's one trial that won't go well for the accused.

It's certainly one that'd be worth watching (if only for the comedic defence)!

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.