freethefly

AIDS, The Deadliest Epidemic in History

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm alive and wish to live like eachday is the last. If by chance I meet someone and she just wants sex, no strings attached, hell yes, I am taking it.

So, by this statment, you have validated my point that continuation of bad behavior is one of the driving forces behind a cure for aids, or have you decided that your time is limited and you are going to live life to the fullest as you perceive it: screw the consequences

Again, who made you the morals police.
1. I am not spreading HIV
2. I will only date HIVpoz women
3. I use condoms and advocate safe sex
4. I try my best to educate people

Like I said, I am still alive and plan to be alive for years to come. You live your life locked in a box. I choose to live outside the box. You say you have not touched a women since 1990, just because you do not like women does not make everyone else immoral. If by chance I meet the right woman, I'll settle down. You're implying that I am immoral and engage in "bad behavior" because I like women?

To listen to you, one would assume that there is no virtue or reward in living of life of self control, which, by the way, generally takes far greater strength and resolve than just blowing through life, consequences be damned.

Appearantly you did not fully understand what I wrote and took what I wrote out of context to embellish your opinion.

Just to be clear, I'm not including those who got drunk, got laid, and just can't imagine where they would've gotten it.

You should rethink this statement. I believe I read in another post that you were a christian. If so, I highly doubt it. For some reason I envision you in a room that has been turned into a shrine for Jerry Falwell. By chance, are you a member of the Moral Majority? Would you feel the same way if a family member contracted HIV from a one night stand? I have a feeling that you would.
Most likely you did not follow my link to the CDC. It is your choice to know the facts. Do what you want. Stay in your box. I am done with you.

And now for something really funny!!!!!
Click the attachment
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

I was disgnosed with HIV last year. I contracted it by having unprotected sex with my partner of 3 years (whom was seeing other people behind my back).

I am sorry for your situation. I do not know you personally,nor am I attacking you personally.
In todays society of promiscuity, where just having sex for sex sake is the status quo, one would do well to approach every potential relationship with a
"guilty until proven innocent" mentality. Your life could be on the line.
Again, I am not picking on you personally.I do not know where, why, or how you met your boyfriend.
Chances are, that cheating on his mate was probably a lifestyle with him, and there were probably
red flags that you chose to ignore. Especially if you were in love with him.

As for my victims list, I should amend it to include anyone who comes into accidental contact with the disease.

We are all human, this is a community disease, it must be tackled with us together as a community.

You have pointed it out quite clearly. Sex should not be a community activity, which it seems to have become.

I have personally been celibate since 1990, after my exwife-God rest her soul- decided that a
party lifestyle was more important than living a quiet, peaceful life with a jerk like me.

I would prefer to live in a self imposed exile, and remain healthy, than be exiled by my community because of something that I brought upon myself
simply because I had to fulfill my sexual lust.

If those who have contracted the disesase through, as I put it " bad behavior", had practised as much saftey and precaution as is used in skydiving they more than likely would not be where they are at.

As for being ignorant of aids, I don't need to know all of the medical jargon to make me knowledgable.

Staying away from large crowds of people in the winter will greatly decrease your chance of getting a cold or the flu. If you don't have to do it , don't.

*sighs* your sorry for my situation? hell mate, read my previous posts. I DONT WANT your pity, sorrow or judgements. I feel more sorry for you with your close minded attitude.

Damn straight you dont know me personally, yet i find it interesting that you take the moral high ground and judge my activities WITHOUT knowing me? You contradict yourself in each post that you write. You have this "holier than thou" attitude, and preach "good behaviour" yet nothing you have posted has been constructive nor hepful, nor "good" but rather full of biased and uneducated judgements.

*LAUGHS OUT LOUD* So i was promiscious was i? So fucking sue me. Im human, perhaps you should do some reading on the social instincts and activities of humans.

And again, you judge me without knowing me, without knowing how many people ive slept with and why.

Yes i was in love with him, but i certainly did NOT ignore any red flags, i dont consider myself to be that stupid, but again, interesting that you have AGAIN made a judgement and assume that im blind to other peoples actions and motives.

If you have been celibate for so long, why do you claim to know so much and can take the higher ground when it comes to promiscuity, sex and how men and women generally work?

Im sorry mate, but your lack of experience and your refusal to read up on the topic, to educate yourself and open your mind, tells me that you DONT practice what you preach and that your opinions are not going to be constructive or worthwhile to my cause.

Harsh? Judgemental? Probably.. but i dont claim to be "perfect"!!

Im human, female and a skydiver. Im wise beyond my years in some things, an infant in others. I can be cool calm and collected, i can be irrational. But its MY life, ill live the way i want, and im going to be the best that i can be and have fun doing that. WHY the hell would you deny that of any one person?

Your lifestyle mate is your own business, and mine is mine. I dont push my lifestyle onto other people, (have i ever once advised you to go out this weekend, get drunk and get laid?) so dont push yours onto me.

Yes i fucked up, and i have learned lessons, but why i should go into a self imposed exile is beyond me, thats not living in my defintions.

And what makes you think that self imposed exile, and safety and precaution = health? Your not immortal, as freethefly pointed out shit happens even to the healthiest of people. You need to wake up and smell the coffee man!

Reading your posts again, you are INCREDIBLY ignorant of the HIV virus. It isnt all about medical jargon (although this helps) its more to do with the social impacts and implications. It would do you well to read up on it if you wish to continue discussions in this thread. I certainly wont be holding an value to your comments in your current ignorant state. The fact that you would compare a cold or flu to HIV just amazes me. If life was that simple, we would all be alot healthier.

HOWEVER i do have to thank you in a way. Your attitude and ignorance tells me that we still have a long way to go with our education and awareness strategies. It also indicates to me that we of the HIV community still need support services to protect our mental state from close minded people that project their judgements onto us.

Hmm and in addition to my last. It would be useful for you Royd to actually MEET a HIV positive person and see how the virus has affected their life.

You assume that we continue our "bad behaviour" and further spread the virus? Did you not read my earlier post on the total mind-fuck a person with this virus goes through?

You wouldnt wish it on your worst enemy. In fact, most HIV poz people are the SAFEST people to have sex with. They know what they have (many dont) and they know how careful they need to be and they employ various strategies in order to reduce the chance on passing on the virus.

(I dont mean that to be in any way discriminatory towards HIV- people .. its just a fact that if you get burned.. your careful around the fire from that point onwards. ;))

Many of us join volunteer organisations and the fight for cures, education and awareness. Some HIV+ people that i know have bascially dedicated the rest of their days to this cause.

hmm and you want to talk about self control? i tell you now, im practising plenty of it in posting reply to you without resorting to what i really want to say *grins*

life is supposed to be about living.. expanding your comfort zone. Is that not WHY you are a skydiver? How can you be so open minded about the risks involved in jumping out of a plane, but close minded to the HIV virus? *shakes head*

mm as for the christian comments. My mother is christian (yeah yeah i know i know.. what happened to me then? not sure *grins*). Whilst what had happened to me and some of the reasons around it etc was a shock to her, and certainly NOT a lifestyle she would choose to live, she has been incredibly supportive. As she tells me, it is the christian way NOT to judge.

Hear hear Freethefly.. i love reading your posts, you give me inspiration in disclosing and dealing with close minded people.

Love the cartoon.

And :o *shock horror* :o maybe WE should hook up? ;):$;)

:D:D:D

Now, if I chose your lifestyle, and said consequences be damned, I'll take my licks without complaint, then I'd be living on the edge.

What exactly do you think my lifestyle is? (Hint: I'm a 60 year old monogamous heterosexual male).

He's a self-righteous Christian. Therefore, he just "knows" these things.

. . =(_8^(1)

I would like to apologize to you and anyone else out there who finds my comments, and attitudes offensive. I am truly sorry that this burden has been laid upon you.

We do live in a world of cause and effect. It has been my experience in life, from the simplest mechanical problems to complex personal problems, that the effects may be masked for a time, but until the cause is dealt with, the problem is never going to be solved.
As for the scourge of aids ,I am now speaking as to a societal problem.
I hope for your sake that they find a cure tomorrow.
At what point do we address and deal with the base cause of the problem?
I don't think I have to go into the original cause of the problem.
To deal with the problem in the long term,one must deal seriously with the cause.
Unlike many other diseases, which we as a society haven't had a problem quarentining until the problem was solved, this one also involves the emotional part of the mind, i.e. love, lust.
If we as a society are given the responsibility of dealing with, and eliminating the effects of the disease, then we should be given, for lack of a better word, help in dealing with the cause.

This is not going to happen in today's society, bacause taking personal responsibility of one's actions has pretty much been done away with. Everyone has an excuse for bad behavior of all kinds, that adversly affects the lives of those around them.
Until this mentality is dealt with across the board, society as a whole is headed down the tubes.
As for myself, the buck stops here.
There are other reasons for my celibate lifestyle, but that's another thread, and I don't need anymore of your ire;) I'm starting to feel pretty beat up[:/].

Can we talk about people who stuff their faces everyday at McDs. and complain about having to buy two seats on an airplane.;) Just another of my peeves.

Peace?

So you feel lung cancer and heart disease do not have legitimate reasons to justify work on a cure? (After all, if one does not smoke or overeat, exercises regularly, and avoids areas of high air pollution, the majority of those cases would disappear

You have pretty much answered your own question.
If a person does all of the right things and the contracts the disease through genetic predisposition, that person should be the first to receive treatment.

How many people have you seen getting treated for lung cancer, and refuse to stop smoking in order to give treatment a decent chance?

Do you remember Mickey Mantle, the baseball player. He turned out to be a drunk, but because of his celebrity status, he received a transplant liver and was dead within months. I personally consider that a waste.
If you have a forty pound beer belly and complain about a bad back, you do not deserve my compassion. The pregnant woman, on the other hand does.

Funny thing is, that's not my question. :S

I think you missed a few Republicans in that list.

Whew! Seen that one coming from a mile away. Cant say I diagree though. Damn it, I just agreed with Kallend.;)

All Republicans are good, Rookie. Please don't forget that. :P

. . =(_8^(1)

>I should amend it to include anyone who comes into accidental
>contact with the disease.

Fair enough - but you have now included 99.9% of people who have the disease

Just to be clear, I'm not including those who got drunk, got laid, and just can't imagine where they would've gotten it.

Yea, just those God damned dirty faggots, right? Come on, you're thinking it - have the cookies to write it.

Your sig line is totally at variance with the attitude you show in this thread.

Following the crowd and doing the same as everyone else is not what I would call living on the edge. A self sustaining lifestyle is not someplace most people care to go.
Now, if I chose your lifestyle, and said consequences be damned, I'll take my licks without complaint, then I'd be living on the edge.

Homosexuals tale far more chances than do any skydivers.

In Reply To

I'm alive and wish to live like eachday is the last. If by chance I meet someone and she just wants sex, no strings attached, hell yes, I am taking it.

So, by this statment, you have validated my point that continuation of bad behavior is one of the driving forces behind a cure for aids, or have you decided that your time is limited and you are going to live life to the fullest as you perceive it: screw the consequences

Again, who made you the morals police.
1. I am not spreading HIV
2. I will only date HIVpoz women
3. I use condoms and advocate safe sex
4. I try my best to educate people

Like I said, I am still alive and plan to be alive for years to come. You live your life locked in a box. I choose to live outside the box. You say you have not touched a women since 1990, just because you do not like women does not make everyone else immoral. If by chance I meet the right woman, I'll settle down. You're implying that I am immoral and engage in "bad behavior" because I like women?

To listen to you, one would assume that there is no virtue or reward in living of life of self control, which, by the way, generally takes far greater strength and resolve than just blowing through life, consequences be damned.

Appearantly you did not fully understand what I wrote and took what I wrote out of context to embellish your opinion.

You should rethink this statement. I believe I read in another post that you were a christian. If so, I highly doubt it. For some reason I envision you in a room that has been turned into a shrine for Jerry Falwell. By chance, are you a member of the Moral Majority? Would you feel the same way if a family member contracted HIV from a one night stand? I have a feeling that you would.
Most likely you did not follow my link to the CDC. It is your choice to know the facts. Do what you want. Stay in your box. I am done with you.

And now for something really funny!!!!!
Click the attachment

You say you have not touched a women since 1990, just because you do not like women does not make everyone else immoral.

Perhaps a flawed assumption.... could be the other way around. :)

I would like to apologize to you and anyone else out there who finds my comments, and attitudes offensive. I am truly sorry that this burden has been laid upon you.

We do live in a world of cause and effect. It has been my experience in life, from the simplest mechanical problems to complex personal problems, that the effects may be masked for a time, but until the cause is dealt with, the problem is never going to be solved.
As for the scourge of aids ,I am now speaking as to a societal problem.
I hope for your sake that they find a cure tomorrow.
At what point do we address and deal with the base cause of the problem?
I don't think I have to go into the original cause of the problem.
To deal with the problem in the long term,one must deal seriously with the cause.
Unlike many other diseases, which we as a society haven't had a problem quarentining until the problem was solved, this one also involves the emotional part of the mind, i.e. love, lust.
If we as a society are given the responsibility of dealing with, and eliminating the effects of the disease, then we should be given, for lack of a better word, help in dealing with the cause.

This is not going to happen in today's society, bacause taking personal responsibility of one's actions has pretty much been done away with. Everyone has an excuse for bad behavior of all kinds, that adversly affects the lives of those around them.
Until this mentality is dealt with across the board, society as a whole is headed down the tubes.
As for myself, the buck stops here.
There are other reasons for my celibate lifestyle, but that's another thread, and I don't need anymore of your ire;) I'm starting to feel pretty beat up[:/].

Can we talk about people who stuff their faces everyday at McDs. and complain about having to buy two seats on an airplane.;) Just another of my peeves.

Peace?

*shrugs* apology accepted.. we were debating after all. i CAN appreciate the different outlook you and others would have, unless you have been through the experience of actually having this virus, you wouldnt really understand.

However, I like ot note that i wholly appreciate the objective outlook of HIV- people, it is truly needed as sometimes we do get caught up in the virus and how it is impacting us. But having said that, JUDGEMENTS are NOT what we need.

As for my reaction and you feeling beat up, it was NOT my intention to make you feel that way, but perhaps now you can probably appreciate how we of the HIV community feel with regards to dealing with stigma, judgements and other political bullshit.

I hope that you understand my situation and my reactions to your posts, even if you dont condone them or agree with them. What you are judging is of a very personal nature to me, i fele that my reactions were justified.

cause and effect = agreed, well put.

I agree, we need to deal with the cause and i do believe we will get there. But it is more complex than how you put it, it is so much more than just love and lust. That is just such a simplistic view, and as we have alluded to, nothing about human nature is simple. Even your wish to remain celibate is complicated as you point out. HIV is NOT a simple problem. There is so much stigma and fear that needs to be dealt with, cultural differences, plus resourcing issues and a whole lot of other stuff that people seem to forget.

As for a cure *shrugs* if it happens good.. if not.. ill survive. The other thing you must realise is that HIV is not the death sentence it was 20 years ago. Yes it has devastating impacts on your life, anf for some people it can lead to illness and death.

But cases vary person to person. You cant assume what happens for one, happens for all.

In my specific case, for a young healthy specimen such as myself (truly one of the lucky ones i might add), im not likely to die earlier, im not even likely to develop AIDS, hell im a good 10-15 years off meds providing i look after myself the way i have been. But i have seen people that succumb after 10 years..

My point here is that it impacts people differently, you cant "box" people.

Mmmm.. and mate, thats your opinion of society and you are entitled to it. However i happen to believe that there is hope, i have seen so much change in my life circles since i was diagnosed, and that does give me some hope.

What you choose to do with your life, is your own choice. I can respect that even if i dont understand it. All i expect from you, is the same. I dont expect you to understand what i have done, or what i do, but dont judge my behaviours, class them as "bad", without knowing me (and even then, id think twice!).

And what was your excuse for your behaviour in this thread? EVERYONE has an excuse.. so what was yours? Religion? Where ARE you coming from? You cant expect us to talk about our perceived "excuses" and "Bad behaviour" without you getting into yours eh?

Peeves. ANOTHER of your peeves? So this was a peeve to you? *shakes head* and NOW you want to talk about McDonalds?

So what do you do? Put your 2 cents in to stir people up, and then once you get a reaction, skip along on your merry way?

Mate, you are a waste of my time and energy and id rather be posting in reply to some decent and sincere questions about HIV that the crap you have been hitting me with.

If i were you, i would stop with the flippant attitude. Someday you are going to say the wrong thing to the wrong person and i would fear for your safety.

*growls*
FW

All Republicans are good, Rookie. Please don't forget that.

I try to think most Dem and Rep are deep down good people. But some of the shit We see them pull on a daily basis has me wondering how they have to nerve to show there face in public.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

All Republicans are good, Rookie. Please don't forget that.

I try to think most Dem and Rep are deep down good people. But some of the shit We see them pull on a daily basis has me wondering how they have to nerve to show there face in public.

As for good or bad, that is up to perspective. If you're a greedy, well-off businessman then you can espouse all the personal responsibility BS and call the Repubs grand. But if you're poor, then the Dems are for your welfare, at least moreso than the greedypublicans. The Repubs agenda is to shift the government's control from Congress to corps. The Dems agenda is to increase the size of government and empower people. I would love to read examples where the Repubs are compassionate to people other than the well-off.

Yes, let's worry about the spread rather than a cure. Prevention is great, but with the millions out there, it's cure time.

So do you advocate a leper island?

It should have happened a long time ago. The horse has left the barn.

I think you missed a few Republicans in that list.

I had some Republicans in the list, but I ended up editing them out to keep the list contained to one line. :$

"Former House Majority Leader Rep. Tom DeLay and his staffers accepted about a half million dollars in trips during the period under review -- more than any other congressional office, the study said.", Reuters, 6.5.06

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The Dems agenda is to increase the size of government and empower people.

How do you rationalize those two positions?

liquor?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"Former House Majority Leader Rep. Tom DeLay and his staffers accepted about a half million dollars in trips during the period under review -- more than any other congressional office, the study said.", Reuters, 6.5.06

The following are the 28 Democrats who signed the letter accusing Gonzales of a conflict of interest who have taken donations from Abramoff's clients and associates, followed by the amount.

Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) - $2,000
Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA) - $21,765
Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) - $12,950
Sen. Max Baucus (D-MT) - $22,500
Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) - $20,250
Sen. Chris Dodd (D-CT) - $14,792
Sen. Dick Durbin (D-IL) - $14,000
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) - $2,000
Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI) - $1,250
Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) - $45,750
Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-HI) - $9,000
Sen. Jim Jeffords (I-VT) - $2,000
Sen. Ted Kennedy (D-MA) - $3,300
Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) - $95,550
Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-LA) - $28,000
Sen. Carl Levin (D-MI) - $6,000
Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-MD) - $10,550
Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) - $78,991
Sen. Bill Nelson (D-FL) - $20,168
Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) - $7,500
Sen. Mark Pryor (D-AR) - $2,300
Sen. Jack Reed (D-RI) - $3,500
Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) - $4,000
Sen. Ken Salazar (D-CO) - $4,500
Sen. Paul Sarbanes (D-MD) - $4,300
Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) - $29,550
Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) - $6,250
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

And yet society and hollywood continue to applaud casual sex.

The humans have been having casual sex since day one on this planet and will continue to have casual sex all the way up to when the sun envelopes the earth. Nothing will change that fact.

I just can't figure out why this disease is spreading

Years of misinformation is the main culprit. Africans were told by their leaders that eating potatoes will cure AIDS. They were told that having sex with virgins will cure AIDS. They were given information that actually help to spread the illness. Here in the US, teenagers (1 out 5 will have sex by the age of 15 and most will be active before the age of 20) in the mass majority of schools are not taught the importance of safe sex and the importance of using a condom. Instead, abstaining is taught. It does not work. Teens are curious about life and sex is a major part of life. To only preach a no sex syllabus has done far more damage than preaching safe sex. If the world had not dragged its feet starting 25 years ago and had preached a well rounded syllabus this epidemic may have been contained. Roid can say all he wants about keeping it in the pants. He has failed to realize that sex is a natural function within the human condition and that all the preaching of abstaining will do nothing but distract from the reality that people have sex and that it is personal responsibility and the knowledge that will curb the spread. Abstinence is great, but there is a need for education beyond just saying "no".
http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/index.htm
Advocates both, abstinence and safe sex. People, show this site to your teens. Give them info needed that will protect them when the time comes where they are faced with the desicion of having sex. Nothing but the facts.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

>who have taken donations from Abramoff's clients and associates,
>followed by the amount.

None of them took money from Abramoff. If you define associates as "people Abramoff has dealt with" then it's true. (Of course, your favorite politician probably falls under that heading as well. Six degrees of separation and all.)

>who have taken donations from Abramoff's clients and associates,
>followed by the amount.

None of them took money from Abramoff. If you define associates as "people Abramoff has dealt with" then it's true. (Of course, your favorite politician probably falls under that heading as well. Six degrees of separation and all.)

Yup yup... funny thing is that Pelosi isn't saying a word about investigating THEM....
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706