RkyMtnHigh

Implantable Medical Info Chip

As much as I personally see the value in this product for altzheimers patients, stroke patients, abductions, people in accidents who can't speak for themselves, etc...this topic has become extremely controversial for religious reasons and other reasons...

Thoughts?

This chip contains medical history, meds currently taking, patient med history, etc...

Check out the website: Verichip.com and share your thoughts.

I think that this chip is great and then I think that it is not so good.
It would be nice to have the medical info of someone who can't provide that for me, but I really don't like the idea at the same time because i am a privacy freak.
I did pick up a guy who was out cold and laying in a street, it would have been nice to have his medical info. It would have helped narrow down my patient assement a bit.
Turns out he was a diabetic and had let his blood sugar crash, so he crashed!
I have always thought that back country campers and climbers should have this info available and now i feel that maybe we all should.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

I'm going to ask them how they get around HIPPA guidelines with the product as well as protect the info from being transmitted to insurance companies. Some medical info would classify as preexisting conditions and not be covered by current insurance carrier.

"Implantable" is probably the key word. Means it can be implanted, but doesn't have to. Could be carried around.

Once enough people decide that such a chip is valuable to them (valuable enough to risk exposing medical details to malicious hackers) it might be a good thing. It'd be a very individual thing to make the assesment whether to use one or not.

For me it wouldn't be a problem, since there's little on it to start with. Basic info such as blood type, allergies etc. could help medical staff and thereby increase my chances of survival.

For people with a longer history, perhaps with details that are sensitive for many reasons, it may not be so appealing. The risks of exposure of details are greater than the percieved or actual benefit.

Not a bad idea, as long as it's kept non mandatory.

non mandatory.

Is it reprogrammable fairly easily as med history/meds change? Some older patients are changing med history almost every 5 minutes :S

I personally wouldn't want it, it's none of anyone's freaking business what my health history is. If I'm in an accident, shit happens. Medical professionals tend to be pretty careful about blood types used and meds given. Hershey med is experimenting with a non-blood material that can be used in place of additional blood in the field until blood type can be assessed. They are actively using it in our area.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

For me it wouldn't be a problem, since there's little on it to start with. ........

That's where I have a problem. First of all you don't know what's actually programmed onto the chip. There could be info that would open the door to financial records, family medical history records, movie rental history, paypal password, list of stuff you bought at the grocery store, name of your dog's favorite chew toy....who knows. There's just too much potential for abuse with these RF broadcasting chips. All someone needs is a scanner and they've got your information. That's why I don't like the RF idea for passports either. Personal records are already too easily accessed. No sense making it easier.

the army issued us dogtags that we can keep our entire medical history on, but are saying that you would put your medical history on the internet publicly? like imprint a website on a dogtag?

just because you have a link on your web page (imprinted on your tag, as I do) doesn't mean it's publicly available. Without the tag, you have no way of finding it. Mine has my medical policy info, and contact info for my mom and my aunts that live locally.

If this information were more static (esp the medical insurance), it may be easy enough to just have it on the tag, but I don't want to keep ordering a new one every couple years.

That's where I have a problem. First of all you don't know what's actually programmed onto the chip. There could be info that would open the door to financial records, family medical history records, movie rental history, paypal password, list of stuff you bought at the grocery store, name of your dog's favorite chew toy....who knows.

Good point. I wouldn't do it to begin with, but hadn't really considered that aspect.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

That's where I have a problem. First of all you don't know what's actually programmed onto the chip. There could be info that would open the door to financial records, family medical history records, movie rental history, paypal password, list of stuff you bought at the grocery store, name of your dog's favorite chew toy....who knows.

Good point. I wouldn't do it to begin with, but hadn't really considered that aspect.

This concern is defeatable if the standards for the chip are defined. Then anyone can grab an RFID reader and check it out.

On the downside, then anyone with these specs and proximity to you can as well, but that's going to be true anyway, at least for those organized enough to do harm with the information.

I'd want the data encrypted with some sort of key - though then you have a problem if you're not conscious.