shropshire

Oil $75 a barrel!!

TeHe...[finds deep hole to live in]

See that hole you're hiding in..!? Budge across a bit & let me in please!? I'm getting tempted to talk about America's "Magic Checkbook".:ph34r: The one that lets them spend & spend WITHOUT their promises to pay ever coming home!:o

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

... The one that lets them spend & spend WITHOUT their promises to pay ever coming home!:o

One other factor is that the world's currencies are usually quoted against USD. So, if you have HKD (Hong Kong Dollars) and want to buy SGD (Singapore Dollars), you'd usually sell your HKD for USD, then use the USD to buy SGD.

Which means that every country has a vested interest in ensuring the USD stays stable. In some ways, the USA is acting as the world's banker.

It's getting pretty bad over here also. I just wonder how high it has to go before it has a really bad effects.

the good effects are we will get some of the cars Europe has had for years - people will be forced to park the SUVs for commuting. long overdue.

rm

An easy way to lower the price a bit is to start strengthening the dollar again. The price increases are hitting the US harder in terms of money than in Europe - sure, only a few cents, but in terms of percentage of increase in price, it gets us, too.

But, strengthening the dollar has other effects.

There's a reason why energy costs are kept out of most indicators. The energy market is so prone to shock that it it simply not considered in most indicators.

I agree, but to strengthen the dollar we would have to lower the debt and increase GNP/GDP, right?

Bush has thrown the debt thru the ceiling via his military spending and lower tax revenues due to tax cuts for largely the rich. I believe the GDP has been shrinking, not precisely sure, and I believe tax revenues are down as well, but Bush's reaction to all of this is to lower taxes and have the Republican COngress continue to raise the debt ceiling. Furthermore, he's thrown us into a war that is doing nothing but raising the price of gas - was low 20's/barrel before the war, now 75 - so this gas hike and the exacerbated effects are basically solely his doing.

I'm not too sure if that's correct... what % improvment in the Dollar would you be looking for and how much would that impact the price of a barrel?

Of course another way would be to buy/sell oil in Euros;)

Ultimately tho' it's a matter of supply and demand and with the likes of China inbcreasings it's demand (and with as much right as us) I dont see a happy ending to this matter....... ever.

Just as I read this I thought, "Currency exchange rate," then I saw lawrocket wrote that too! We are $1.15ish Canadian to $1.00 US, whereas when I grew up it was 1.30 - 1.50. Irony is that their dollar is tied to ours, so they should be very proportionate. How is it that Canada has the ability to provide 100% medical coverage to its people when we don't, have its dollar tied to ours and still find a way to appreciate their dollar compared to ours?

There are plenty of factors that go into the price of oil. There's the exchange rate. There's the cost of transport. Refining capacity. Cost of refining. Etc.

That's what's killing us here in the US, refining capacity. We need to build about 30 refineries yesterday. Of course the treehuggers won't roll over for that (while bitching about the cost of filling up their oil leaking VW peace van). That and there are about 200 blends of fuel the refineries need to adjust for every spring. Enough to drive you mad... :S

Please, $75 a barrael is just that, no matter how you stack em. Even if we had the most proficient method of refining, it's still 75/barrel; how do you escape that? Whatever..........

It goes against my Libertarian leanings, but I sometimes wish gasoline was a regulated utility like natural gas or electricity...

Which is why Libertarianism has its limits. Libertarianism is one of those utopian things that has almost no presence in reality. Why is it that electricity and water, etc have regulation? Because they would run amuck if they didn't.

Can't lick um, join um.

Time to buy stock in oil companies. I saw a report this morning stating by the end of this summer it would be $100 barrel here in the USA.

If it goes up to $100.00 per barrel, I'm investing in a company that makes base rigs!

Ummm....

I wouldn't exactly envy the Canadian health system or Tax code.

You can have "Free Healthcare" too, but don't think Free means Free...

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

Ontario charges a tax on income for the health system. These amounts are collected through the income tax system, and do not determine eligiblity for public health care. The Ontario Health Premium is an additional amount charged on an individual's income tax that ranges from $300 for people with $20,000 of taxable income to $900 for high income earners. Individuals with less than $20,000 in taxable income are exempt.

Quebec also requires residents to obtain prescription insurance. When an individual does not have insurance, they must pay an income-derived premium. As these are income related, they are considered to be a tax on income under the law in Canada.

Other provinces, such as British Columbia and Alberta, charge premiums collected outside of the tax system for the provincial medicare systems. These are usually reduced or eliminated for low-income people.

Ummm....

I wouldn't exactly envy the Canadian health system or Tax code.

You can have "Free Healthcare" too, but don't think Free means Free...

If government health care is so bad, why is Canada's life expectancy 80.22 years, and the USA 77.85 years?

Why does the USA have the LOWEST life expectancy among ALL industrialized nations?

Hmmmmm???

Z

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.

I don't think healthcare is the only factor. Look at the typical American, most likely he or she is overweight and does not exercise regularly. We are the only country in the World where obesity is an epidemic, for the first time in human history we are literally eating ourselves to death.

I don't think healthcare is the only factor. Look at the typical American, most likely he or she is overweight and does not exercise regularly. We are the only country in the World where obesity is an epidemic, for the first time in human history we are literally eating ourselves to death.

Your argument is questionable. The obesity rate in Canada is growing as fast or faster than the US rate. Currently it is 23% of adults in Canada vs. 30% of USA adults.

Also, health education is part of the overall health care system, so my question stands. Why does the USA have the lowest life expectancy of ALL industrialized nations?

source:
http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050706/d050706a.htm

WOW... that is a stretch.
So let me get this straight.... You think letting an
inefficiant government run the healthcare system will help americans live longer?

FYI - you logic is flawed...
Your words here.
Currently it is 23% of adults in Canada vs. 30% of USA adults.

So, there are more overweight Americans then Right?
OK...Point made then. 7% more Americans... :-)

Your words here.
Currently it is 23% of adults in Canada vs. 30% of USA adults.

So, there are more overweight Americans then Right?
OK...Point made then. 7% more Americans... :-)

No shit. :)
But can 7% account for an overall 3 year difference in life expectancy? Any actuaries here?

And that the USA has the LOWEST life expectancy of ALL industrialized nations is an embarassment, obesity or not.

Z

Obesity...
Murder...
Suicide...

There are many factors that can make up the 3% difference. You need to take into account the stress level of the people in Canada vs. the USA as well.

Just look at the life expectance of women in the usa.
It used to be they lived much longer than men, but now that they are in the workforce, there expectancey has gone down significantly...

Are ther more women in the workforce in the US than Canada? or Japan? or Germany?

YES... and that alone could be the cause... it sure as shit aint the canadian healthcare system.

Also not taken into account is the genetic make up of the population....
Blacks in America are only expected to get to around 72.5yrs while whites get to 78.3 yrs.

There are roughly 36,000,000 blacks in the US (12%)
What is the percentage in Canada?

Again, all these factors need to be considered. Even environmental ones such as atmoshperic pollution.

Also not taken into account is the genetic make up of the population....
Blacks in America are only expected to get to around 72.5yrs while whites get to 78.3 yrs.

Very astute of you. And to what do you attribute that disparity?

Go ahead and guess, and I'll tell you if you are correct....;)

Z

I know what you will say, and I will say you cant prove that, however fats you can prove.....

Black men are Genetically more prone to Colon Cancer than Whites.
Black men in the USA are more likely to be murdered than Whites.
Black men in the USA are more likely to go to jail than whites.
Blacks in the USA are more likely to be born to teenage mothers than Whites.
Blacks in the USA anre more likely to use hard drugs than Whites.

Need more?

Because all of these things can contribute to a shorter life expectancy.