Scoop

Full time mother!? WTF

Just try divorcing a long time stay-home mother and see how much of your assets and income the court considers her services were worth.

As long as it gets taxed and neither one of us forced to wear a low cut blouse. Or you either.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

un·em·ployed adj. Out of work, especially involuntarily; jobless.

You can't reinvent the definition of the word simply to suport your argument. The goverment doesn't set the definition of the word.

Someone who is not employed currently IS unemployed.

i am not rededfining the word. But, when the government computes who is unemployed and who is not, you sister does not count. So while she may consider herself unemployed because she has no job, according to economics and the government, she is not.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Just as an aside -

Is the original poster referring to "homemakers" or is he referring to "welfare queens?"

Mainly 'welfare queens' but also as mentioned the ones that sit on their ass and do nothing but justify it by saying they are parents. PLEASE NOTE: I have no problem with genuine people who stay at home to look after their kids prior to going to school or who home teach. Thats great! :)
But equally. If you don't have a job, you are UNEMPLOYED. As in... not employed by anybody. So don't try and fluff it up. Just be honest. Im a house wife/homemaker would suffice.

Does anybody else get annoyed when you hear the term 'full time mother'? Really gets on my nerves for some reason. It isn't an occupation so it doesn't count.

The person answering your questions is more educated than you are.
Re:
Typically, employment and the labor force include only work done for economic gain. Hence, a homemaker is neither part of the labor force nor unemployed. Nor are full-time students nor prisoners considered to be part of the labor force or unemployment. It is possible to be neither employed nor unemployed- to be outside of the "labor force." These are people who have no job and are not looking for one.

The term "full time mother" is not referring to "full time employed in the labor force" so I do not understand your so called "rant." I may be a "full time skydiver, or gardner, or graphic designer, or homemaker, or mother,"....

I normally politely and calmly then ask them "and what do you do for work?". You can get the classic, "I haven't got time to work and look after children" comment which just infuriates me even more.

Why not just ask "are you part of the labor force?"

When I ask someone what they do for a living when I'm working and they tell me full time mother, I scribble down UNEMPLOYED in my notebook.

Every mother is a working mother, whether she spends time away from home to earn a paycheck or not.

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

Thanks for your qualified opinion. I really value it :|

Because the paperwork I fill out isn't a yes/no answer. You have to state occupation. Which is why I put either housewife or unemployed.

>So if she is not unemployed, what's her staus?

Alternately employed? Differently employed? Non-unemployed? Surely we can come up with some sort of meaningless PC term that will make everyone happy!

How 'bout "housewife."

But that's prob'ly not pc, and it surely doesn't describe the single stay-at-home moms either.... that would be "homemaker." yes?

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

For my part, I cannot make a judgment regarding something I have never personally experienced -- as I am not a mother. However, my mother worked outside the home ALL of my life and I still had food on the table, playtime with me, the house was clean, etc. Caveat -- I am an only child -- no siblings.

My grandparents, on the other hand, had many more (10 on mom's side & 13 on dad's side) and neither of my two grandmothers were able to work outside of the home. I would consider their work -- cooking, cleaning, bathing, feeding and all of the other multitude of things that they did a FULL TIME JOB -- an unpaid one by the way!! I have nothing but great admiration and respect for women who stay home and care for their children. I don't know if I could do that but everyone is very different!
Character cannot be made except by a steady, long continued process. -- Phillips Brooks

un·em·ployed adj. Out of work, especially involuntarily; jobless.

That definition doesn't support your statement. A stay at home mom is certainly not jobless.

Further employed come from to employ, defined as:

Main Entry: 1em·ploy
Pronunciation: im-'ploi, em-
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English emploien, from Middle French emploier, from Latin implicare to enfold, involve, implicate, from in- + plicare to fold -- more at PLY
1 a : to make use of (someone or something inactive) b : to use (as time) advantageously c (1) : to use or engage the services of (2) : to provide with a job that pays wages or a salary
2 : to devote to or direct toward a particular activity or person

Looks like only one definition has pay or wages involved with it. A mother could easily fall into one of the other definitions making her employed.

Now it all comes down to deciding if your sister is uneducated or a stay at home mom is employed. Your choice:)

As shown by the fact that no one employs her, she is unemployed

If I'm self-employed, am I unemployed? And if I'm a working mom, do I really have two jobs?

These are the questions that must be answered. :S

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

As shown by the fact that she devotes to a particular person (her child) she is employed.

If you want to call her unemployed because no one emplys her, well then you have to go by the definition of the government, which would then exclude her since she is not actively looking.

I know it is hard to understand that one word could have multiple definitions. Chosing one particular definition does have its consequences and kind of forces you to compare apples to apples.

>So if she is not unemployed, what's her staus?

Alternately employed? Differently employed? Non-unemployed? Surely we can come up with some sort of meaningless PC term that will make everyone happy!

Domestic Engineering Executive.

(Engineers need to come up with a new title that isn't so abused. How about "train driver"?)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Does anybody else get annoyed when you hear the term 'full time mother'?--- Really gets on my nerves for some reason. It isn't an occupation so it doesn't count.-- I normally politely and calmly then ask them "and what do you do for work?". You can get the classic, "I haven't got time to work and look after children" comment which just infuriates me even more. --When I ask someone what they do for a living when I'm working and they tell me full time mother, I scribble down UNEMPLOYED in my notebook. Mwahaha [/end of rant]

I replied: Why not just ask "are you part of the labor force?" to your post above.

You reply with:

Because the paperwork I fill out isn't a yes/no answer. You have to state occupation. Which is why I put either housewife or unemployed.

There was no mention of paperwork you fill out stating your occupation in your original post, or how you filled it in.

If I was asked to state my occupation in paperwork,
and my prime occupation was to care for my family and/or home, and I had left the paid workforce to care for my family and/or home...

I would state: my primary occupation has been "homemaker" from (the month/date to month/date.) Then further define my skills, and worker characteristics related to this occupation.
Re: child care provider-- supporting my children's physical, intellectual, and emotional development. Other aspects of homemaking are organization and communication skills (shopping, cooking, cleaning, yard work, home repairs, money managing)..on and on. Being a homemaker requires courage, tenacity, planning, determination and flexibility. All those qualities are also required for many jobs.

SMiles;)

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
Stephen Hawking :P
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

There was no mention of paperwork you fill out stating your occupation in your original post

Could have sworn I did, yep. First post in fact...

When I ask someone what they do for a living when I'm working and they tell me full time mother, I scribble down UNEMPLOYED in my notebook.

Next issue?

Re: child care provider-- supporting my children's physical, intellectual, and emotional development. Other aspects of homemaking are organization and communication skills (shopping, cooking, cleaning, yard work, home repairs, money managing)..on and on. Being a homemaker requires courage, tenacity, planning, determination and flexibility. All those qualities are also required for many jobs.

Yes they are and well done to you. However, if we get back to the original point. Being a mum isn't an occupation, its a responsibility.