br0k3n

The Future

With all the Woo Woo Science and beliefs that seem to be more and more prevalent at the moment, this well written piece of SCi-FI could be an accurate look at our future, Agree or disagree???
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Sci Fi is crap, nothing ever comes from it. Even Jules Vern didn't get anything right. Sci Fi has never shapped the thinkers of the day to start working towards making the items in the dreams of their stories come to be a real technology. We don't even have doors that open automatically like on the original Star Trek.

Obviously Sci Fi comes true, to a point. Partly due to Sci Fi making people think about possibilities and pointing their inventing and thinking towards a direction that may have been unthought of previously.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

>We don't even have doors that open automatically like on the original Star Trek.

We've got sliding doors at the place I work that open automatically (as long as you have a badge, that is.) I've gotten sorta used to them. I really have to think about it sometimes to make sure I don't walk right into regular doors.

As a side note, the original Star Trek couldn't get the doors to work righ on their own so they had two stage hands moving them to make them look automatic.

The doors in Star Trek TNG were automatic, similar to the doors uses in supermarkets and such, but they were so loud that it covered the actor's voices on film. The actors pause when the doors open then continue their conversations.

You know, most of the major Sci Fi ideas were invented in the real world by the 1970s. Well, except for things like light speed/warp engines.

Obviously Sci Fi comes true, to a point.

From book writers, Sci Fi is 'supposed' to be composed of things are possible under known laws of physics. "Fantasy" covers things that aren't possible under known laws of physics.

I think Sci Fi crosses that line frequently though.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

As a side note, the original Star Trek couldn't get the doors to work righ on their own so they had two stage hands moving them to make them look automatic.

The doors in Star Trek TNG were automatic, similar to the doors uses in supermarkets and such, but they were so loud that it covered the actor's voices on film. The actors pause when the doors open then continue their conversations.

You know, most of the major Sci Fi ideas were invented in the real world by the 1970s. Well, except for things like light speed/warp engines.

Who invented communications satellites? Where does the word "robot" come from? What did Dick Tracy wear? My cell phone sure resembles Capt. Kirk's "Communicator".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Who invented communications satellites? Where does the word "robot" come from? What did Dick Tracy wear? My cell phone sure resembles Capt. Kirk's "Communicator"

That's why my antidote about the Star Trek doors was just a funny piece of trivia, but I referenced Jules Vern.

I'm not a huge Sci-Fi guy, although I have read a little, I've watched more then that. I'm more of a history text and/or suspense type of guy.

I'm a weirdo that actually enjoyed reading "Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich."

And most of those ideas you're talking about were suggested by the 1930's in sci-fi. That's one reason the 1930's are considered the Golden-Era of SciFi.

Modern SciFi is still going strong coming up with new ideas....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.