eeneR

The wussification of America

Interesting and compelling examples.
I notice you're Canadian. Did this happen in Canada or the U.S.? I ask simply because so many of the above posts seem to ascribe their critical observations to American society, while I think that unfairly focuses on just one country, rather than many.

I notice you're Canadian. Did this happen in Canada or the U.S.? I ask simply because so many of the above posts seem to ascribe their critical observations to American society, while I think that unfairly focuses on just one country, rather than many.

It happened up here in Canuckistan. The extreme left has an even stronger grip on everyones balls here than they do in the U.S. It has gotten to the point that I do not voice my opinion too often as I do not want to be on welfare.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

It happened up here in Canuckistan. The extreme left has an even stronger grip on everyones balls here than they do in the U.S. It has gotten to the point that I do not voice my opinion too often as I do not want to be on welfare.

Richards

Wow now that adds a whole other light onto the subject...
Changed title :ph34r:

Now the question is, if the whole world becomes this way (which we know is not the case) how would that change things?
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Richards

Wow now that adds a whole other light onto the subject...
Changed title :ph34r:

Now the question is, if the whole world becomes this way (which we know is not the case) how would that change things?

It would change things for the worse. I am not suggesting that we be callous with regards to students feelings. I am merely suggesting that students need to be able to discern a relationship between their actions and their consequences. They also need to realize that sometimes you will put your heart into something and not get a good grade...that is because failure can be a great learning experience and character builder. It encourages people to always strive for improvement while instilling in them that life does not always provide a positive outcome. this will enable them to enter the real world with the tools neccessary to survive.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Heaven forbid johnny gets his feelings hurt because he got a wrong answer. WTF is up with that?

I've heard of a bunch of "competitions" in which every kid gets a meda/trophy just so they don't feel bad. Are you fucking kidding me? Anything below, say 5th, doesn't deserve shit (and that's me being generous).

"there are no losers here"

Same thing..WTF!!! Everyone seems to have forgotten that 2nd place is merely the first loser. If you're not first, you LOST...and of course there are degrees of losing, but nonetheless, 2nd place and lower has lost.

Political Correctness has gotten so out of control! America has indeed become a bunch of pussies...and it's even rampant in the Air Force...for shame. My job is to turn bad guys and their shit into mist and rubble, but I can't say fuck or have my lower zippers even slightly unzipped on my flightsuit? Are you fucking kidding me? Our job is to kill people, but God help us if we say any word worse than please. Here's a line from one pissed off SNAP...I'M GOING TO SAY FUCK, SHIT, ASS, PUSSY, BITCH, AND WHATEVER THE HELL ELSE I WANT TO, AND I'M WEARING MY DAMN ZIPPERS HOW I WANT...unless you say I can't sir, yes sir, I understand the importance of image...give me a fucking break. (sorry for the rant).
:)

Man you think it was bad 30 yrs ago (of course my knowledge of 30 yrs ago is per stories from the old guys), you should see it now. I know I don't know shit in the grand scheme of things, but for fuck's sake, this crap is ridiculous. And one more time for emphasize..F U C K!

We have met the enemy, and the enemy is US.

I'm 42 years old. When I was a child there was only a few channels on TV, the internet and computers were freaky things that you saw on Buck Rogers shows, and the closest I got to video games was playing pinball and watching the score numbers roll over.

My social environment consisted of the few friends that I hung out with, my parents, and my teachers. My world was small and controllable. The information that expanded my horizons came from these finite sources, and what ever books and magazines I could get my hands on.

Switch to today's world...

My son's social environment encompasses the entire globe. One click on the internet and you know how to build a bomb, another click and you're linked to a million people who will be your "friend". The most popular music preaches death and destruction. The most popular video games the same. The brainwashing by advertisement to wear specific types of exspensive clothing, and so on.

Why, because we want to give our children the things we never had. We are just as interested in the things above as our children, because we never had them. How much of your child's learning comes directly from your home, as opposed to their social world?

My father was an incredible source of information for me. I naturally looked to him for answers, and respected him. He whipped me when I was bad, and let me know when I did right. The whipping wasn't as much about pain, as it was the knowing that I disappointed him.

It's too easy to step back and let our children be raised with very little input. Sure, we all let them know if they do something that we don't like, but are we on the job 24/7 ? Do we maintain a consistant environment even when we don't feel like it? I would submit a big "NO" on that one.

We have become a very small part of our childrens lives.

Don't let the world raise our children and then complain about the world....

from Post #28:

The wussification of America comes from a culture where honesty is not to be tolerated. It's the product of a culture where standards are not to be tolerated. Without standards, there's nothing to give any real sense of accomplishment.

That deserves repeating! Especially the last sentence. It applies to Germany also. :|

The western industrialized nations (read: EU and US) will receive some serious economical a$$ whopping in the next few decades. We're too fat, too lazy, too "wussificated", too whiny, whatever...

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

I enjoyed reading your post. I'm going to be a parent very soon. My mother trusts me to be a good father. However, she did say the same thing as you did and even told me a story from the 70's when I was a small child:

We were in a super-market. As we were passing the fruit section I said (I was probably 2-3 years old):

"Let's have some bananas. I want bananas."

"No, we are not having bananas today", my mother replied.

There was a elderly lady close by, who started to argue (!) with my mother:

" Bananas are healthy - give the boy some bananas!"

My mother managed to keep her temper and respectfully answered:

"In our family children do not choose what we eat", and walked away.

-------

If you agree with the old lady - think about how you would explain for that 2-3 old (me), why it was okay for me to tell to get bananas, but not something else (e.g. sweets etc.)? Unfortunately many people (and parents) do not see the point - there is no difference. 2-3 years old children are not ready to make decisions about what they eat, when they eat, when they sleep, what they can/can't do, ... (and the list goes on and on).

In fact there are very few decisions 2-3 years old babies can make - children that age are the happiest, when they have good routines and no surprises. And you are right - if a child is been raised "the other way", there is very little school can do when he/she gets there...[:/]