warpedskydiver

HS teachers and the Indoctrination of our youth

right ONE call and the tape was enough for a suspension....wanna make a bet the pricipal called it right by suspending him?....

It seems that the evidence(the tape) and a formal complaint (by a parent) was all that was needed ...the principal will usually side with the teachers in most cases...except when the teacher is completly wrong!!!

Anything is possible.... but obviously the students were upset over SOMEthing that was said.

I'd like to think that today's kids have a bit more intelligence than to get bent out of shape over something similar to your example.

Wrong.

The students weren't upset with what he said - 150 of them protested against his suspension.

Only one parent was upset enough with his remarks to complain.

The 150 students just shows how dangerous a teacher such as this is. Students are attracted to an anti-establishment teacher such as this. That should be expected, not a surprise.

Listen to the recording yourself, my previous post has the link.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Colorado Teacher On Leave After Alleged Anti-Bush Remarks
Thursday, March 02, 2006

Click image to enlarge

AURORA, Colo. — At least 150 Overland High School students walked out of class Thursday to protest administrators' decision to put a teacher on leave while they investigate remarks he made about President Bush during class, including that some people compare Bush to Adolf Hitler.

Cherry Creek School District administrators were investigating whether geography teacher Jay Bennish violated a policy requiring balancing viewpoints in the classroom, district spokeswoman Tustin Amole said.

Amole said Bennish was placed on administrative leave Wednesday to avoid further disruption at the school in this east Denver suburb.

She said the school had heard rumors about the protest, which included some students who objected to Bennish's comments. Students were told to return to class, but she said no disciplinary action was taken.

"It was peaceful. The students yelled, but there was no fighting," Amole said. "Most of them did return to class."

Sophomore Sean Allen recorded about 20 minutes of Bennish's class during a Feb. 1 discussion about Bush's State of the Union speech and gave the recording to his father, who complained to the principal, Amole said.

"After listening to the tape, it's evident the comments in the class were inappropriate. There were not adequate opportunities for opposing points of view," she said.

GEOGRAPHY:"The purpose of geography is to provide 'a view of the whole' earth by mapping the location of places." – Ptolemy, 150 CE

"Synoptic discipline synthesizing findings of other sciences through the concept of Raum (area or space)." – Immanuel Kant, c. 1780

"Synthesizing discipline to connect the general with the special through measurement, mapping, and a regional emphasis." – Alexander von Humboldt, 1845

"Man in society and local variations in environment." - Halford Mackinder, 1887

"How environment apparently controls human behavior." - Ellen Semple, c. 1911

"Study of human ecology; adjustment of man to natural surroundings." - Harland Barrows, 1923

"The science concerned with the formulation of the laws governing the spatial distribution of certain features on the surface of the earth." - Fred Schaefer, 1953

"To provide accurate, orderly, and rational description and interpretation of the variable character of the earth surface." - Richard Hartshorne, 1959

"Geography is both science and art" - H.C. Darby, 1962

"To understand the earth as the world of man" - J.O.M. Broek, 1965

"Geography is fundamentally the regional or chorological science of the surface of the earth." - Robert E. Dickinson, 1969

"Study of variations in phenomena from place to place." - Holt-Jensen, 1980

"...concerned with the locational or spatial variation in both physical and human phenomena at the earth's surface" - Martin Kenzer, 1989

"Geography is the study of earth as the home of people" - Yi-Fu Tuan, 1991

"Geography is the study of the patterns and processes of human (built) and environmental (natural) landscapes, where landscapes comprise real (objective) and perceived (subjective) space." - Gregg Wassmansdorf, 1995

He was RANTING and NOT teaching Geography

Anything is possible.... but obviously the students were upset over SOMEthing that was said.

I'd like to think that today's kids have a bit more intelligence than to get bent out of shape over something similar to your example.

Wrong.

The students weren't upset with what he said - 150 of them protested against his suspension.

Only one parent was upset enough with his remarks to complain.

You're correct, I misread the post. My bad.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

The 150 students just shows how dangerous a teacher such as this is. Students are attracted to an anti-establishment teacher such as this. That should be expected, not a surprise.

Indoctrinating our youth!!!!!!!!!!

Did you listen to the recording? The link is just a few posts up...

In my opinion, he was definitely indoctrinating. No doubt about it.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Please show any posts that have said "he should be fired because he spoke out against the President".

Go ahead and look...we'll wait.

Oh, you can't find a post saying that? Maybe that's because the other posters are saying it's HIS JOB to a specific lesson plan, not give the students his opinion of ANY political administration or their policies.

Wipe all the lipstick you want on that pig.
Fact is, you would turn completely around if you agreed with the message. You can keep dancing around it, but not admitting it is less than honest.

as far as I can tell from the article they were upset about the fact
that this teacher was put on leave.

Cheers, T
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Fact is, you would turn completely around if you agreed with the message. You can keep dancing around it, but not admitting it is less than honest.

I contend that you don't know that as a fact, and you should not call us liars.

Have you listened to it yet?

I contend that you don't know that as a fact, and you should not call us liars.

Have you listened to it yet?

Of course. It is not something I would characterize as "spewing hate". I've also heard the kids father give an interview. This whole thing happened the day after the state of the union address. Its only getting attention now because the family went to the media. I know people who teach in that school district and I know that teachers in general need to go to greater lengths to gain and hold the interest of students. If you are going to tell me Fox News would have this on if this was a spirited pro-Bush rant, I call bullshit. If you're going to tell me your opinion of this whole thing would be exactly the same if this was a pro-Bush rant, again, I call bullshit.

Not that anybody even cares whether these kids are actually learning anything or not, but people are suggesting that we need to remove all opinions from the classroom (or to the point, opinions they disagree with). Its simply not possible. You can't remove the human element from the education process without removing the humans. If your teacher has an opinion about something (gasp, everyone has opinions) and you can say: I am hearing you and I disagree with you; your brain is actually engaged and you may actually be learning something......the horror.......the horror......

OK, so you don't consider it "spewing hate", but do you think it deserves his removal as a teacher?

I can't affect your certainty that I would not object to a similar rant from a rightist teacher, but that is not relevant to this teacher.

Please show where opinion and/or rhetoric has a place in a high school curriculum outside of debate class.

Be sure to show examples.

Then you would certainly agree that any discussion of religion should be completely limited to debate class? What about economics? Debate class only?

Edit: Why stop there. You think Shakespeare sucks? Debate class for that limey bastard. Poetry? Seriously, are we really spending our tax dollars on this coffee house crap? Creative writing. I called this class: "How to write some real garbage and call it art" in college. Debate class for the creative writing.

OK, so you don't consider it "spewing hate", but do you think it deserves his removal as a teacher?

Of course not. I would say exactly the same thing if he made a pro-Bush rant.

I can't affect your certainty that I would not object to a similar rant from a rightist teacher, but that is not relevant to this teacher.

It is completely relevant, because this man could lose his career over his opinion (which you disagree with). Similarly, if this man were facing the loss of his career over an opinion with which you agreed, you would say he is being wronged. That is an impossible standard to hold any human being to.

Please show where opinion and/or rhetoric has a place in a high school curriculum outside of debate class.

Be sure to show examples.

Then you would certainly agree that any discussion of religion should be completely limited to debate class? What about economics? Debate class only?

Discussions of religion? Discussing Martin Luther, or why the Pilgrims left England could be included as part of a History lesson plan, certainly. Outside of that would not be a valid part of a curriculum.

Economics could be touched tangentially in math classes, or by an economics class.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Similarly, if this man were facing the loss of his career over an opinion with which you agreed, you would say he is being wronged.

wrong again broken record...maybe if you say it a hundred more times, we'll get bored and write you off.
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Similarly, if this man were facing the loss of his career over an opinion with which you agreed, you would say he is being wronged.

wrong again broken record...maybe if you say it a hundred more times, we'll get bored and write you off.

So you believe this teacher is being unfairly attacked for his opinions? Or do you believe all teachers should be fired for bringing up their personal opinions? Which?

Try again..... without trying to make strawman arguments this time

So, are you saying this teacher is being unfairly attacked for his opinion, or are you actually saying that all teachers should be fired for bringing their personal opinions to the classroom. My guess is neither.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2108279#2108279

once again: it is inappropriate for any teacher, regardless of the opinion.

You and Mike are proposing something that not only impedes the learning process, but is completely impossible. You can't remove the human element from the class room without removing the humans.

You and Mike are proposing something that not only impedes the learning process, but is completely impossible. You can't remove the human element from the class room without removing the humans.

Bullshit - their job is to impart information, not opinion
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Bullshit - their job is to impart information, not opinion

I give. I will immediately quit paying taxes to the school district because it is a total waste. There is absolutely nothing a human teacher can do that a lesson on a computer can't.[:/]

I assume you homeschool your kids? Certainly, there is not a classroom on earth that is without any opinions (psst. this includes yours).