Unstable

How to activate Cypres cutter?

I have a collection of cypres and Astra cutters - all expired and slated to be tossed. I was thinking about activating a few just out of curiosity. What is the best way to do this? 9V battery across the connections on the cutter?
=========Shaun ==========

Put the sensor unit inside a zip-lock plastic bag. Seal the mouth shut except for about an inch. Hold it up to your mouth and blow air vigorously into the bag. This induces a quick increase in air pressure, which will make the sensor believe it is experiencing low altitude, and cause it to fire.

JohnyCrawford

Put the sensor unit inside a zip-lock plastic bag. Seal the mouth shut except for about an inch.

That works? You've tried it?
Even with Cypres' "need to fly above 1500' to enable"? Or does a bit of suction first fool it?

I used to do the bag trick for FXC's, and a rigger friend set a relatively unsophisticated Vigil II off, when storing a customer rig in a big bag and squeezing air out of it. Oops. (But 2+ models have a minimum alt to climb past, like the Cypres.)

I use the most to demonstrate how the cutter works. You can short the wires across batteries like you suggested. I've used old cypress batteries since I had those with expired units. A buddy used a cordless drill battery.

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

If you don't want to test them while jumping, get a suitable capacitance, load it with appropriate batteries, do the wiring and fire it. Keep a safe distance while doing the firing. I did it myself with expired Vigil and Cypres cutters including a rip cord steel cable put inside the hole. Both types of cutters succeeded to cut the steel cable.
I did it also with reserve closing loop as well using a 15 lbs weight for tension.

If you want a more sophisticated way, use the same set up, including an altimeter, both inside a vacuum pump transparent bell. They often have suitable electrical connection allowing you the firing. After switching off the pumping, you can simulate the rate of descent while monitoring the air extraction with the purge valve. Any high school physics lab has such a vacuum pump and I am sure that a physics teacher will be quite happy to perform this experiment with you.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Hajo

Try cutting a wire or cable with a pair of side cutters and the try to cut Cypres loop with side cutters..

I do not know of many people that have reserve closing loops made out of wire or cable lol... I just mean although cutting cable looks impressive, it is not a good test for a cutters ability to cut a closing loop. ;)

Try cutting a wire or cable with a pair of side cutters and the try to cut Cypres loop with side cutters..

Yes, riggers know just how difficult Spectra is to cut cleanly. That stuff is tough. Most skydivers don't realize this.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The link to YT was more to explain how you get the cutter to fire ...
B|

And to hear how loud (or not) the sound is.
(for the guys who "can hear" the noise of an AAD fire when seeing an activation in the sky...)

--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well