7 dead as woman goes postal in California

Explain again your analogy of a gun show with a post office. Shooting up a post office facility is far more akin to shooting up a gun shop than a show.

It isn't all about you and what you write.

It was not an analogy, it was illustrative of the difference between what a criminal can expect to get away with in a place where lots of people have guns, versus a place where everyone is prohibited from having guns.

Frankly, for a guy who claims to teach in the higher education system, you need an awful lot of leading before you can see a point.

Regardless of whether you are right or wrong about which is more akin to which, I addressed the subject of gun SHOWS and you responded AS THOUGH I had said "SHOPS." It was YOU who couldn't stick to the discussion that was actually going on.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

here's a question for you jeffrey, merely a hypothetical:

the type of deterrent you're talking about, the idea that people are armed, and therefore dangerous and not to be taken advantage of...how is this deterrent any different than having a well trained/armed security guard/staff? from my point of view, the deterrent is still there: individuals are armed and dangerous, therefore the surrounding area/people are not be f***ed with.

i ask that question, because when presented with the option, the choice should be rather clear - if all you desire is the deterrent effect you speak of, there is no need to have 100 people armed, right? wouldn't you agree that you can create an effective deterrent through other means (involving less people)?

honestly, i would think a postal sort facility, such as this one in goleta(handing high volume in a large bldg), would have at least ONE armed guard. it's a given that they have building security (card/barcode), so why was the human element missing? hell, the strip mall across the street has security...
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

here's a question for you jeffrey, merely a hypothetical:

the type of deterrent you're talking about, the idea that people are armed, and therefore dangerous and not to be taken advantage of...how is this deterrent any different than having a well trained/armed security guard/staff? from my point of view, the deterrent is still there: individuals are armed and dangerous, therefore the surrounding area/people are not be f***ed with.

Will those armed and dangerous security guards accompany you to your car from the post office, or from the mall entrance, or from the theater? Will they follow you home in case someone "marked" you and your purchase of that fiiiine television or jewelry item?

If not, then they are useless to you as soon as you leave their immediate presence -- if you venture where a criminal predator could single you out. In that case, it's my belief, you'd better have your own gun, 'cause no one is really responsible for saving your ass but you. After all, no one is with you every moment of every day but you

i ask that question, because when presented with the option, the choice should be rather clear - if all you desire is the deterrent effect you speak of, there is no need to have 100 people armed, right? wouldn't you agree that you can create an effective deterrent through other means (involving less people)?

No, I would not agree that any "deterrent" that can easily be known by criminals to be unable to protect would-be victims everywhere they could possibly go is effective, or even adequate.

honestly, i would think a postal sort facility, such as this one in goleta(handing high volume in a large bldg), would have at least ONE armed guard.

If it didn't have "at least one armed guard," then it was easy pickin's.

If it did have "at least one armed guard," then that's proof that an armed guard is not omnipresent, and cannot be everywhere to save everyone wherever they could possibly be threatened.

What if a woman goes into a bathroom in an armed-guarded facility, and there is a lurker in there, waiting to rape her? What good is the armed guard? The rapist can do what he wants because it's very unlikely that the armed guard, who knows how many yards or hundreds of yards or building floors away, is ever going to even be aware she's being attacked. In that case, she'd better have the means of defending herself. It is quite well-established that handguns are excellent for this purpose.

it's a given that they have building security (card/barcode), so why was the human element missing? hell, the strip mall across the street has security...

Do you count on that strip mall's security to save you from a mugger or murderer? :|

-
-Jeffrey

Regardless of whether you are right or wrong about which is more akin to which, I addressed the subject of gun SHOWS and you responded AS THOUGH I had said "SHOPS." It was YOU who couldn't stick to the discussion that was actually going on.

-

So you digress from post offices to gun shows, and then accuse me of digression when I go from gun shows to gun shops.

You are so funny!

Take a deep breath. You may yet live to be 20 if you get your blood pressure under control.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

So you digress from post offices to gun shows, and then accuse me of digression when I go from gun shows to gun shops.

You are so funny!

You call me funny? And accuse my LEGITIMATE COMPARISON of two venues where guns might be used for defense against an armed attack of being a "digression" -- after you yourself "digressed" from talking about violence v. nonviolence to talking about choosing to eat liver instead of brains?! :S

Have the students finally driven you mad, professor?

-
-Jeffrey

You are so funny!

You call me funny? And accuse my LEGITIMATE COMPARISON of two venues where guns might be used for defense against an armed attack of being a "digression" -- after you yourself "digressed" from talking about violence v. nonviolence to talking about choosing to eat liver instead of brains?! :S

Have the students finally driven you mad, professor?

-

I guess you need education on the meaning of "false dichotomy".

Oh! I finally get it!

The brain surgeon gave you a... "false dichotomy" and now you can't understand comparisons, analogies, etc.

Man! What'd he do? Accidentally sever your corpus callosum? :S Scramble your cerebral cortex?

Ugh. You have my sympathy.

-
-Jeffrey

The brain surgeon gave you a... "false dichotomy" and now you can't understand comparisons, analogies, etc./reply]

I has something to do with darts and shuttlecocks.

Think about it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

jeff - you know, i started a response, and it just turned into a PA.

so look, here it is: I think you have some fear/everyone-is-out-to-get-me/paranoia issues to work through. really.

I came into this discussion to:

1 - highlight the failures that i felt lead to this tragedy
2 - provide additional info/details, since i live in the area.

sadly, i found more people arguing that "if X employee(s) had a weapon, this wouldn't have happened" than people arguing and critically examining the actions of law enforcement (which is what i believe to be the salient point here). so i'm done, i've wasted all the time i intend to waste.

[delete: amateur internet psychological diagnosis]

I came into this discussion ....

sadly, i found more people arguing that "if X employee(s) had a weapon, this wouldn't have happened" than people arguing and critically examining the actions of law enforcement (which is what i believe to be the salient point here).

Yes, I know, I agree with you there -- it's very sad when people feel at liberty to contribute to a discussion those things that they think are germane to it, or those things that the discussion makes them contemplate...

It's too bad not everyone realized in time that the discussion was supposed to go only in the direction you wanted it to. [:/]

I think you have some megalomania issues to work through. But then again, I'm not a psychiatrist, as you apparently are.

-
-Jeffrey

Oh! I finally get it!

The brain surgeon gave you a... "false dichotomy" and now you can't understand comparisons, analogies, etc.

Man! What'd he do? Accidentally sever your corpus callosum? :S Scramble your cerebral cortex?

Ugh. You have my sympathy.

-

I think that's the first time I've heard the neurological structure corpus callosum mentioned here in a dz.com text. bravo!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

so i'm done, i've wasted all the time i intend to waste.

The waste of time is in thinking that law enforcement is the answer to things like this.

Even if this woman had been found out and incarcerated for... something earlier on, does that preclude the possibility that someone else could do the same kind of crime, but be a person who was not detainable for any good reason? What if it were someone who has never been in trouble before, or did not exhibit strange behavior that should have indicated they needed to be locked up? In such a case, law enforcement would have to physically chance to be between such an attacker and his/her victims at the moment of attack to be any good.

Since the chances of that are approaching zero in any society that does not have a 1-1 ratio of cops to average citizens, I don't think we can count on that kind of luck. And so individuals have to be ready to take on the responsibility of protecting themselves at any given moment.

-
-Jeffrey

And so individuals have to be ready to take on the responsibility of protecting themselves at any given moment.

sums it all up quite nicely.

Right, don't pencil pack your reserve, it may be needed to save your life. Always practice your EPs. Turn on your AAD. Make sure your chest strap is correctly routed.

Right, don't pencil pack your reserve, it may be needed to save your life. Always practice your EPs. Turn on your AAD. Make sure your chest strap is correctly routed.

Shouldn't we have government inspectors at the aircraft boarding area to ensure that we are safe from ourselves?

Shouldn't we have government inspectors at the aircraft boarding area to ensure that we are safe from ourselves?

It's the only way, John. It's the only way. [:/]

-
-Jeffrey

If you need them then lobby for it. I don't.

You deliberately erased this bit: "individuals have to be ready to take on the responsibility of protecting themselves". Very poor debating form, too easily caught:P You can do better than that.

You deliberately erased this bit: "individuals have to be ready to take on the responsibility of protecting themselves". Very poor debating form, too easily caught:P You can do better than that.

Oh, he should have to include a quote of every poster's reply going back to the root of the thread in order to have "good debating form"?

The part that he omitted was not relevant. He was criticizing what YOU said, not what I said.

And in response to you, I would say, who cares if you don't think you need it, if others decide they think everyone would be safer if you had it regardless?

That's the thinking of the Left.

It's lock-step with the thinking you exhibit. But you continue to tell us you oppose big government intrusion into private matters, and most of us are not fooled into believing you.

-
-Jeffrey

Oh, he should have to include a quote of every poster's reply going back to the root of the thread in order to have "good debating form"?

The part that he omitted was not relevant. He was criticizing what YOU said, not what I said.

Nonsense - what I wrote was in the context of your very wise comment. JR could only criticize what I wrote if he erased its context, otherwise his criticism looks really stupid (it was, anyway). VERY POOR FORM.