Gravitymaster

US dispatches Warplanes

>And what happens when Iran nukes Tel Aviv?

They nuke em back, which is why they won't. An armed Middle East is a polite Middle East.

Maybe, I think it will be much more scary myself[:/]
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Iranians ... and they consider themselves to be Asian.

I thought they considered themselves Persians.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

More sabre (or penis) rattling from the blocks bulliesB|

I give credit to Tony Blair for being part of the blocks bullies.

The use of force to achieve political objectives is still the current reality.

Some think it wrong that the US has such an overwhelming advantage in military might. I think not. Time to pick sides.

The big shots; try to hold it back
Fools try to wish it away
The hopeful depend on a world without end
Whatever the hopeless may say

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Israel will light up Iran.. We won't have to...

Israel has been the US's proxy since they became a state. They do our dirty work. We provide the toys, they provide the manpower and take responsibility.
Illinois needs a CCW Law. NOW.

I think the concern comes from the fact that Iran has spewed some of the most hatefull anti-Isreali rhetoric in the middle east lately. I recall the president of Iran stating something to the effect that he wanted to wipe Isreal off the map. I can appreciate that both the US and Isreal have a strong desire to limit Irans capabilities so they are limitted to mere threats.

It is kind of a shame because I was under the impression a few years ago that Iran was becoming one of the most progressive countries in the middle east. Can anyone tell me what caused this sudden relapse into "I hate the world-Jihad" mode?

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Falafel. One of my favorite vegatarian meals. And I am NOT anything close to a vegetarian. When I was in Europe backpacking during my study abroad, I lived on falafel and kabab (the kind in the pita, not on a stick).

mmmmmm....

Same exact here. I am NO vegetarian (though I love vegetables), and I absolutely love falafel.

When I was in England, I used to eat "doner kabobs"... and "treble burgers" ... sold from a vendor truck... [:/]

It's enough to make me worry that I'm carrying Mad Cow Disease... B|

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

<<

Rush ?

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

They nuke em back, which is why they won't. An armed Middle East is a polite Middle East.

Think of it this way - how would GW react if Iran move a fleet of planes to Central America in a very passive agressive manner.

The problem with the nuclear stalemate is that eventually someone will get trigger happy.

An attack on Iran will destabalize many international relations in the middle east and around the globe. Push that first domino........:|

It is kind of a shame because I was under the impression a few years ago that Iran was becoming one of the most progressive countries in the middle east. Can anyone tell me what caused this sudden relapse into "I hate the world-Jihad" mode?

It was pretty much always there, kinda like the two party system in the USA except (including :P) how only one of the parties wants democracy at all...and they just got voted out in the last election cycle. The theocrats are back in the swing and don't look like they want to let go. The people are divided between the theocrats and the democracy types...but they pretty much just voted democracy away.
Now, amongst the theocrats, there's a popularity contest to see who can be the most nationalist...a feedback loop of bizarre dictatorship one-upmanship crap like the stuff that goes on in Turkmenistan and N Korea.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Peace through superior firepower.
Yup, we can stand here all day holding big rocks, but do we really want to hit each other with them? I'll keep mine to make sure you don't throw yours. And vise-versa.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

<<

Rush ?

Yeah-bob! :)
Here's another one that comes to mind...

In my rear-view mirror, the sun is going down
Sinking behind bridges in the road
I think of all the good things that we have left undone
and I suffer premonitions -- confirm suspicions
of the Holocaust to come...

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
gives way -- and suddenly, it's day, again
The sun is in the east, even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset...
Could be the human race --
is run..."

"And as the windshield melts, and my tears evaporate
leaving only charcoal to defend
Finally I realize the feelings of the few
Ashes and diamonds...
Foe and friend...
We were all equal, in the end..."
:|

That's Pink Floyd.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

>how would GW react if Iran move a fleet of planes to Central America
>in a very passive agressive manner.

Hopefully if that ever happens, we will have a JFK in office and not a GWB.

The missiles were in Cuba because Krushchev thought JFK was weak.
When push came to shove, JFK turned out to be stronger than Krushchev realized.

(I still remember being in Grade 3 when the Cuban missile crisis was going on....only time in my life I've felt that nuclear war was imminent...everybody was scared)

I'd say that Krushchev wouldn't have put missiles in Cuba if he had been dealing with GWB....and Iran wouldn't do something like that either.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

>The missiles were in Cuba because Krushchev thought JFK was weak.

I don't think so! Kruschev put missile sites in Cuba in response to JFK placing medium range ballistic missiles in Turkey. Iin other words, he was responding to the same sort of thing GWB is doing now to Iran.

Think of it this way - how would GW react if Iran move a fleet of planes to Central America in a very passive agressive manner.

The problem with the nuclear stalemate is that eventually someone will get trigger happy.

An attack on Iran will destabalize many international relations in the middle east and around the globe. Push that first domino........:|

I don't agree with most of your post but I do understand your train of thought.

I do agree with your "trigger happy" anology in this case however. When the US and Russia were in this situation the leaders were more logical and level headed. I don't think that can be said for Iran's leader today and that is dam scarry[:/]
Abraham Lincoln

When the US and Russia were in this situation the leaders were more logical and level headed. I don't think that can be said for Iran's leader today and that is dam scarry[:/]

Having a leader who appears scary and unstable might be deliberate bargaining strategy, of course.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>When the US and Russia were in this situation the leaders were more
>logical and level headed.

Oh please! In the rhetoric of the time, both Kruschev and Brezhnev were insane power-hungry zealots. The enemy is always deranged. Google "we will bury you." That didn't change until SALT 1. We started getting what we wanted, so suddenly Brezhnev wasn't quite so insane.

Now we need people to fear Iran so we claim their leaders are insane; fearful people are more malleable. Such fear will make it easier to ignore Iran's sovereignty and do whatever we please.

Want to make sure Iran doesn't develop nuclear weapons? Keep inspectors there and let them do their jobs. The only threat to success there is the saber-rattling that has Iran close to barring inspectors altogether - and we all lose if that happens.

You reply as if I defend them (the Russian Leaders):S

"Oh please" me all you want, but I think Russians leaders look like nuns compared to this nut in Iran.........

Oh, and by the way, I would take a JFK in office anytime (but not in place of GWB) If you are following an emerging story some details are now coming out that suggests JFK was killed by Castro, because JFK was trying to use the CIA to kill him.

I am not saying this is true but if it is, well, JFK would be my right wing hero of today!
Abraham Lincoln

Now we need people to fear Iran so we claim their leaders are insane; fearful people are more malleable. Such fear will make it easier to ignore Iran's sovereignty and do whatever we please.

Uh huh. Even by Billvon standards he's scary.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/01/14/wiran14.xml&sSheet=/news/2006/01/14/ixworld.html

Exerted:
In November, the country was startled by a video showing Mr Ahmadinejad telling a cleric that he had felt the hand of God entrancing world leaders as he delivered a speech to the UN General Assembly last September.

When an aircraft crashed in Teheran last month, killing 108 people, Mr Ahmadinejad promised an investigation. But he also thanked the dead, saying: "What is important is that they have shown the way to martyrdom which we must follow."

The most remarkable aspect of Mr Ahmadinejad's piety is his devotion to the Hidden Imam, the Messiah-like figure of Shia Islam, and the president's belief that his government must prepare the country for his return.

All streams of Islam believe in a divine saviour, known as the Mahdi, who will appear at the End of Days. A common rumour - denied by the government but widely believed - is that Mr Ahmadinejad and his cabinet have signed a "contract" pledging themselves to work for the return of the Mahdi and sent it to Jamkaran.

Iran's dominant "Twelver" sect believes this will be Mohammed ibn Hasan, regarded as the 12th Imam, or righteous descendant of the Prophet Mohammad.

He is said to have gone into "occlusion" in the ninth century, at the age of five. His return will be preceded by cosmic chaos, war and bloodshed. After a cataclysmic confrontation with evil and darkness, the Mahdi will lead the world to an era of universal peace.

This is similar to the Christian vision of the Apocalypse. Indeed, the Hidden Imam is expected to return in the company of Jesus.

Mr Ahmadinejad appears to believe that these events are close at hand and that ordinary mortals can influence the divine timetable.

The prospect of such a man obtaining nuclear weapons is worrying. The unspoken question is this: is Mr Ahmadinejad now tempting a clash with the West because he feels safe in the belief of the imminent return of the Hidden Imam? Worse, might he be trying to provoke chaos in the hope of hastening his reappearance?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't imagine why anyone would be opposed to Iran having nukes. :S

>The most remarkable aspect of Mr Ahmadinejad's piety is his devotion to
> the Hidden Imam, the Messiah-like figure of Shia Islam, and the
>president's belief that his government must prepare the country for his
>return.

Wow, is he actually claiming that God wanted him to be president? What a nut!

>Can't imagine why anyone would be opposed to Iran having nukes.

Not to fear; all will be well now that Iraq is free. Remember this oldie but goodie?

"A free Iraq will set a powerful example in the part of the world that is desperate for freedom. A free Iraq will help secure Israel. A free Iraq will enforce the hopes and aspirations of the reformers in places like Iran."

And those reformers, inspired by what we did in Iraq, elected this guy.