CanuckInUSA

Canada's PM Paul Martin plans on banning hand guns

Your comment about british crime rate going up after the ban on handguns conventiently ignores the very low crime rate the british had in the first place. Its easy for numbers to go up when they are low. It conventiently ignores the fact that the USA has the highest murder rate of any wetsern democracy by a very large margin. I remember visiting DC when it had the highest murder rate in the world. I would much sooner live in a country where the murder rate has risen to .014 per 1000 of the population (in the UK) than one that has drastically fallen to .0428 per 1000 of the population (in the US).Source: Un survey Of Crime
i would love to hear why you think the banning of hand gund has inccreased the crime rate rather than being coincidental. After all in 1953 all weapons were made illegal in public. so the banning of handguns in 1997 would onlly have affected crime in the home (guns werentt allowed any where else b4 that, and getting a gun was not so easy even then) but one of the big rises in crime has been in mugging. how could this possibly be affected by the bannign of handguns? Many commentators in the Uk have discussed the reasons for the rising crime rate. I dont think i ve ever seen a single one suggest its the 97 ban on handguns to be to blame. you need to learn that if A proceeds B, it does not in any way imply that A is the cause of B.Thats basic logic.

Who took it over the top?

1 - I didn't say you did. I liked your comment.

2 - try victims that sue the previous owner or gun manufacturers, instead of the criminals - that's a start.

try activists that don't blame the criminal, but blame the original owner

Bill says that owners should be 'responsible'. Responsible for what? Do they go to jail for murder is someone steals their gun and then kills someone? I hope not. Do you pay back the shop owner for his losses if someone robs a store with your gun? I hope not. But it's been proposed, it's been put in trials. How is that 'responsibility' maintained? spot audits of gun owners? I hope not. What is the penalty for losing a gun? What is the penalty for having your property stolen by a criminal and a gun being a small part of that property? What is the penalty for having a knife, or a hammer, or an axe stolen? Why would the legal gun owner suddenly be guilty of a crime instead of being the victim of theft?

"Negligence" arguments based on 20/20 hindsight of how a theft "should" have been foiled will be abused in every court that leans away from the 2nd Amendment. A good idea in principle, but how does it get administered without abuse? That's a hard part.

Did you know it's illegal to leave your car running in the winter in Minneapolis? Your car might get stolen. Nuts, the thief is responsible 100%. This is the same thing. I don't leave my car running, or a gun lying about because it's the right thing to do and I don't want my stuff taken. I don't need Big Brother legislating it to me and then some court abusing that for any excuse to push an anti-2nd amendment bias.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Why are Americans so happy with the high crime/murder/ gun ownership rate they have?
when like is compared with like the US has a staggering gun crim rate. That is when socio-economically and politically simliar countries ie western democracries to you and i, the US comes off very badly. In a recent study (krugg , powell and Dahlberg)the US has a murder rate 6 time higher than the avergae western democracy.Murder by gun rate is even worse. The Us has a gun murder rate 12 time higher than the average of Western democracies. Hardly a coincidence that these lower gun crime nations have less guns : the US 22% of households, .1% in the UK 0.2% in Holland and 2% in Australia. Coincidence? i think not.

I don't think you really understand the problem. Guns are a tool. Guns don't kill people, they just make it easier.

We have more violent crime because, among other reasons, we have more people who are prone to commit violent acts. These same people could kill with a knife, a hammer, a pipe, a sharpened pencil, a brick, a screwdriver, chemicals, bombs, or any number of other things just as easily.

If guns were the only means of killing then banning guns might be a solution.

While criminals can kill using any number of techniques, a criminal's intended victim will generally have very few options available when they are needed. The right to bear arms is a wonderful equalizer in this situation.

Walt

>You want people to purchase handguns for protection and then lock
> them up in a safe or put a trigger lock on them so they aren't
> readily available for protection?

What each person does is up to them. Bottom line is THEY are responsible for ensuring they do not fall into the hands of criminals. No one else. If that takes a gun safe, so be it. If it takes a trigger guard, so be it. If they can leave it in a drawer and have it be secure there, then great. But if it gets stolen - they are responsible.

Can't have it both ways. Either people are responsible enough to own guns (with all that entails) or they're not. Personally I think they are, but I also have no sympathy for gun owners who, through their negligence, supply guns to criminals.

Responsible in your opinion. Locking the house with a gun inside and out of sight is responsible gun ownership. How far do you want to take it?

Expecting law abiding gun owners to take better care to prevent their legal guns becoming illegalguns is a reasonable expectation.

And you think that a total ban is the only way to accomplish that?

How about a tax credit for the purchase of a gun safe?
What about public education ads on TV?
How about free public gun safety classes?

How about the NRA pays for it. I don't expect taxpayers to pay for my hobbies or the locks on my doors.

I agree 100% that illegal guns in the possession of criminals are the problem. Since just about every one of these illegal guns started out legal in the hands of a law abiding individual, then those individuals should be held responsible for preventing transfers to crooks.

And by that reasoning if someone steals your car, I mean non-cosmetic SUV, and causes an accident, killing someone, then you should go to prison for murder.

Call me selfish, but I'd miss your postings. I don't want you to be the one held accountable in that case.

Walt

>How far do you want to take it?

I don't want to "take it" anywhere. If you own guns, and protect them such that they are not stolen or misused, you are a responsible gun owner. Results, not my opinion, defines what a responsible gun owner is.

those individuals should be held responsible for preventing transfers to crooks.

And by that reasoning if someone steals your car, I mean non-cosmetic SUV, and causes an accident, killing someone, then you should go to prison for murder.

I didn't infer that from Kallend. But I was inferring that from BV (probably wrongly, he was likely in the same argument as K).

But I'd like more than just "they should be responsible" statement. What does that mean? What is the punishment for losing a gun? What is the punishment for having your gun stolen? (It should be the same regardless of how the gun is later used - the 'crime' of losing the gun is what the owner would be responsible for - that ONLY. If it's 10 years in jail, then it should be 10 years, whether the gun was used for 20 murders, or just filled with lead and welded into an art project. If it's a $20 fine, then it's $20 bucks if it's just stolen and thrown in a lake or used to beat up some child.) Define the crime of losing a gun, don't try to equate losing the gun with the actions of criminals who now have your gun......

That's what I worry when others talk about being "responsible" for keeping their guns safe. It means nothing unless they tell you what they mean when they say "responsible".

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I don't want to "take it" anywhere. If you own guns, and protect them such that they are not stolen or misused, you are a responsible gun owner. Results, not my opinion, defines what a responsible gun owner is.

I'm just trying to find out where you draw the line on responsibility and negligence. Apparently, your view is if a gun owner puts a trigger lock on his handgun, locks it up in a steel gunsafe and then puts the gunsafe inside a vault with 12'' of concrete, reinforced with rebar and the gun is still stolen, thats irresponsible. OTOH if it's just hidden under the bed and not stolen, that's responsible.

I see that as being an "ivory tower" view of the world. People with modest financial means living in bad neighborhoods may not be able to afford to do a great job of securing their firearm(s) but that does not make their need for self defense go away.

It's quite easy for me to afford to secure my firearms (and I do secure them) but I don't think it is right or even realistic to put the same requirement on everyone.

Walt

"I don't think you really understand the problem. Guns are a tool. Guns don't kill people, they just make it easier. "
"These same people could kill with a knife, a hammer, a pipe, a sharpened pencil, a brick, a screwdriver, chemicals, bombs, or any number of other things just as easily."
---------
So do guns make crime easier or not ?your first statement the answer is no, your second the answer is yes. Perhaps you can give us a consistent argument to address?
I think anyone would agree it is easier to kill someone with a gun than without. Thats why modern armies have guns rather than knifes or swords. So when you make crime easier (by having lots of people with guns) dont be suprised if you get lots of crime. if you have a country where there are according to you " more people who are prone to commit violent acts" does it really make sense to give them to tools to make their violent acts easier?I would have thought it would make more sense for such a country to have less guns not more than others.

"I don't think you really understand the problem. Guns are a tool. Guns don't kill people, they just make it easier. "
"These same people could kill with a knife, a hammer, a pipe, a sharpened pencil, a brick, a screwdriver, chemicals, bombs, or any number of other things just as easily."
---------
So do guns make crime easier or not ?your first statement the answer is no, your second the answer is yes. Perhaps you can give us a consistent argument to address?
I think anyone would agree it is easier to kill someone with a gun than without. Thats why modern armies have guns rather than knifes or swords. So when you make crime easier (by having lots of people with guns) dont be suprised if you get lots of crime. if you have a country where there are according to you " more people who are prone to commit violent acts" does it really make sense to give them to tools to make their violent acts easier?I would have thought it would make more sense for such a country to have less guns not more than others.

Poor choice of wording on my part.

Does it make sense to have guns in a country having more people who are prone to violence?

Yes, so their potential victims can defend themselves.

Walt

>I'm just trying to find out where you draw the line on responsibility
>and negligence.

I draw the line at results, rather than along arbitrary standards like a gun safe with X inch thick steel. If whatever you do works, then great. If it doesn't work, then it wasn't enough.

Case in point - you need FAA approval to carry a canoe on a floatplane. The examiner may ask you to demonstrate a takeoff and landing with the canoe attached. If you crash, you don't get the approval.

>I see that as being an "ivory tower" view of the world.

????

What do you define as a BASE rig that is sufficiently safe? One that has X jumps on it, Y stitches per inch in the webbing, and Z actual tests? Or one that works every time you've jumped it?

That's the opposite of an "ivory tower" approach - reality.

>It's quite easy for me to afford to secure my firearms (and I do
> secure them) but I don't think it is right or even realistic to put the
> same requirement on everyone.

I disagree. It's like a skydiver who can't afford to maintain his gear, or make more than a jump every two years. If you can't afford to do what it takes to skydive safely, you shouldn't be skydiving. If you can't afford to do what it takes to secure your weapon, you shouldn't have it. (Again, each person, not the government, should make this determination, and be responsible enough to stand behind that determination.)

I'm just trying to find out where you draw the line on responsibility and negligence.

Keep it mind the Liberal mindset will have a very hard time with this. As applies to everything they don't agree with, conservatives are doing it all wrong but the Liberals don't dare try to tell how to do it right.

Liberals are very good at handing out problems, solutions can be a different story. This is a glaring problem with Liberals.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.

????

What do you define as a BASE rig that is sufficiently safe? One that has X jumps on it, Y stitches per inch in the webbing, and Z actual tests? Or one that works every time you've jumped it?

I disagree. It's like a skydiver who can't afford to maintain his gear, or make more than a jump every two years. If you can't afford to do what it takes to skydive safely, you shouldn't be skydiving. If you can't afford to do what it takes to secure your weapon, you shouldn't have it. (Again, each person, not the government, should make this determination, and be responsible enough to stand behind that determination.)

I don't buy into your analogy. BASE and skydiving, no matter how much we like to think otherwise, are hobbies.

Protection of self, property, and loved ones is a whole 'nother thing.

Walt

????

I don't buy into your analogy. BASE and skydiving, no matter how much we like to think otherwise, are hobbies.

Protection of self, property, and loved ones is a whole 'nother thing.

Walt

Yes, and it should be done responsibly.

Your (plural) persistent claim that it's illegal guns in the hands of criminals that are the root of the problem shows VERY CLEARLY that the processes in place right now are INEFFECTIVE in preventing legal guns from becoming illegal ones. And it's the legal gun owners that have to come to terms with it and deal with it.

I don't own a gun so there's no possible way a criminal can get an illegal gun from me.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Does it make sense to have guns in a country having more people who are prone to violence?

I have already given relevant data in my earlier post to refute this argument. But in case you need reminding the data was 85,000 defensive uses of firearms against 1 million offensive uses . i think that speaks volumes. The reality is that guns give a much larger advantage to the attacker than it does to thee defender in a violent confrontation. this is beccuase the denfender will rarely have the oppurtunity to get to their gun in time to repel an attack. Whislt there will be some people who defend themselves with firearms the net result is a large number of victims of violent gun crime. That is the reosn why the US has such a high murder rate compared to any other western democracy.

I have already given relevant data in my earlier post to refute this argument. But in case you need reminding the data was 85,000 defensive uses of firearms against 1 million offensive uses . i think that speaks volumes. The reality is that guns give a much larger advantage to the attacker than it does to thee defender in a violent confrontation. this is beccuase the denfender will rarely have the oppurtunity to get to their gun in time to repel an attack. Whislt there will be some people who defend themselves with firearms the net result is a large number of victims of violent gun crime. That is the reosn why the US has such a high murder rate compared to any other western democracy.

I see the data differently. It looks to me like more law-abiding citizens need to arm themselves.

Walt

Well, we can just agree to disagree on this one. I keep my guns secured and think that is the right thing to do. I realize, however, that not everyone can afford to take the measures I do, and I am unwilling to say that for that reason, they should not be able to have a gun to defend themselves.

Walt

Well, we can just agree to disagree on this one. I keep my guns secured and think that is the right thing to do. I realize, however, that not everyone can afford to take the measures I do, and I am unwilling to say that for that reason, they should not be able to have a gun to defend themselves.

Walt

Are your guns secure to the point they would be useless in the event you needed to defend your life?

Walt

Are your guns secure to the point they would be useless in the event you needed to defend your life?

My rule of thumb is to keep every gun under *double* lock (e.g., front door and safe) unless it is within my direct control (e.g., I am home and my handgun is where I can reach it).

Walt

>Protection of self, property, and loved ones is a whole 'nother thing.

Not arguing that. What I AM discussing is that guns are dangerous devices; they cannot be treated like any other gadget in your house. They must be secured properly (which it sounds like you do) so that criminals do not use the guns of law-abiding citizens to perpetrate crimes.

Like I've said before, any law-abiding, sane adult should be allowed to own weapons. If they prove they cannot safely own a weapon (say, they shoot themselves in the foot, or shoot their neighbor's house accidentally, or walk around drunk threatening people with it, or allow someone else to commit crimes with them) they should, at the very least, lose that right. Is it sad that they can then not protect themselves with that gun? Yes. But the safety of the rest of society is the larger issue when you have someone who has proven they cannot handle the responsibility of owning a dangerous weapon.

I don't own a gun so there's no possible way a criminal can get an illegal gun from me.

It's your model rocket engines which concern those of us in government the most Kallend, we couldn't care less if you get your Newtonian kicks with namby pamby bullet-firing guns.

My office believes that we should implement a mandatory FRUMP* identification card program with background screening for any citizen who desires to own a model rocket engine sized larger than 'A' and these should be issued on a need-to-own basis.

The risks such unnecessary contrivances pose to our way of life when they fall into the hands of juvenile misfits, including by criminally incentivizing children away from Creationism and towards hard science, outweigh the potential benefits assuming there are some in the first place :|

* Federal Rocketry Upgraded Motor Permit

Blutarsky 2008. No Prisoners!

I'd agree with a total ban. You have to understand this is Canada not the US.

So that makes it okay to deprive law abiding citizens, who dutifuly registered their handguns, of their property, their sport, and their self defense?

yes, that is what the PM is proposing and he is doing it to try to get re-elected. So the Liberal Party figures it will get more votes than it will lose due to it - I would tend to agree.

notice all the vocal posters are not Canadian? that shows how much we really care about the issue. the bigger issue is healthcare.

rm

notice all the vocal posters are not Canadian? that shows how much we really care about the issue

The first three post in this thread were from Canadians. None of which supported the ban.
That spot isn't bad at all, the winds were strong and that was the issue! It was just on the downwind side.