LawnDart21

Death Penalty for drugs in Singapore?

So, it's laughable for us to make personal judgments about this issue, but ok for you to judge all of us and tall us what "the only thing that can be debated here" is.

Were you being deliberately and dryly sarcastic (I've recently learned that's known as British Humor). Or were you seriously judgng all of us, for judging the morality of a government that is judging people and then taking their life.

You're right, no one should ever question the reasons for state sponsored execution. It is always right, because the state sponsored it.

I find it laughable because I have seen so many anti-religious threads here. If the universe is an accident, there is no right or wrong, only lawful and unlawful.

In this case, it was lawful.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Wow, what a complete lack of any logical reasoning.

You're honestly saying that there are no morals without a god however there are laws. Where do the laws come from, fortune cookies? If you don't have morals, how do you draft a law. And aren't laws themselves designed to define what is right or wrong to do?

So, 2 + 4 = 9 is illegal? Since there is no wrong? This must be that British humor...I just don't get it.

You're honestly saying that there are no morals without a god however there are laws. Where do the laws come from, fortune cookies? If you don't have morals, how do you draft a law. And aren't laws themselves designed to define what is right or wrong to do?

So, 2 + 4 = 9 is illegal? Since there is no wrong? This must be that British humor...I just don't get it.

It's probably legal in Indiana.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Who said anything about absolutes? It comes down to the golden rule, which, you can live by without being religious. It has to do with feeling empathy for the situation of others. And it has to do with the common sense that the power of gov'ts to pass or enforce laws are given to them by the people. Even in a dictatorship, if the people aren't actively revolting, then they are giving the power to the gov't. There is no absolute power, absolute right, or absolute wrong. There's only what people believe to be right or wrong and what people allow artificially created ruling bodies to do. The right to not be killed is the most fundamental one that exists. We should NEVER allow a gov't entitity the power to destroy the most basic human right. And this has no fucking relation to the existence of a god.

Back to your original point....who are they to judge? especially when they issue the ultimate punishment. Why do we give this awesome power to groups of strangers?

Man...i just am not following any logic to what you're saying at all. So, since it's their country we shouldn't have an opinion about the premeditated killing of a human being. Then I guess it is never right to interfere in what anyone else does ever if it doesn't directly affect you. Sounds like a complete lack of empathy to me.

any chance just for once, you can spell humour the correct (and British) way ? and while we're at it, can you try and spell colour correct too? i'll educate you how to pronounce Aluminium later ;)

Then I guess it is never right to interfere in what anyone else does ever if it doesn't directly affect you. Sounds like a complete lack of empathy to me.

is that why America pokes its nose in the affairs of other countries?

Man...i just am not following any logic to what you're saying at all. So, since it's their country we shouldn't have an opinion about the premeditated killing of a human being. Then I guess it is never right to interfere in what anyone else does ever if it doesn't directly affect you. Sounds like a complete lack of empathy to me.

There's the "he's only 25 years old" (empathy) part.

There's the "he knew what he was doing, and he knew what the consequences are" (responsibility) part.

There's the "drug laws aren't working" part.

And there's also the part about how the human brain is not fully developed as to risk assessment until it's around 25 years old.

But it doesn't do much good to try to change the law, get around the law, after the law has been broken.

I feel for him, I feel for his family, but with as many as have died under this law, what does it take for someone to understand that if you get caught smuggling drugs in Singepore, you will be put to death?

In choosing the action, you choose the potential consequences--whether it's drug smuggling, driving fast, skydiving, or any other thing you do.

It wasn't a premeditated killing, it was a logical consequence; he chose to take the risk and he lost.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

... and while we're at it, can you try and spell colour correct too? i'll educate you how to pronounce Aluminium later ;)

Since we're being so correct here, is there any chance you could use an adverb where one is needed?

It wasn't a premeditated killing, it was a logical consequence; he chose to take the risk and he lost.

I agree that the guy could not claim ignorance or unfair treatment, it must have been very clear to him what would happen if he lost. That still has no bearing on whether the punishment is just.

In my mind capital punishment is not right, no matter how many warning signs you put up.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Then I guess it is never right to interfere in what anyone else does ever if it doesn't directly affect you. Sounds like a complete lack of empathy to me.

is that why America pokes its nose in the affairs of other countries?

Something that Britain has never done, right?

premeditated killing = killing with forethought and planning. That is what an execution is. Let's at least be honest about that. If you want to defend an action, at least have the balls to call it what it is.

I'm of the opinion that state sponsored premeditated killing is always wrong and always unnecessary. I don't understand why anyone thinks anyone should have the power of life and death over others given to them.

Something that Britain has never done, right?

Of course not, maybe we've provided gentle nudges in the right direction here and there, sometimes it may even have been a direction they didn't want to go but still, I wouldn't say we've meddled.

:S
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

premeditated killing = killing with forethought and planning. That is what an execution is. Let's at least be honest about that. If you want to defend an action, at least have the balls to call it what it is.

I'm of the opinion that state sponsored premeditated killing is always wrong and always unnecessary. I don't understand why anyone thinks anyone should have the power of life and death over others given to them.

"Premeditated killing" implies "murder," which is defined as unlawful killing. By definition, it was not an unlawful killing.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Guess what? He doesn't deal drugs any more.

But is there really anything wrong with selling drugs?

I don't use drugs, but I object to drug laws wholeheartedly. Punish those who drive while under the influence, and I'm fine with it. Punish those who use it as an excuse to beat the shit out of a partner, and I'll applaud. Punish those who roll little old ladies on the street for their handbags, and you've accomplished something.

Punish the real crimes--crimes against people. Don't punish the use or sale of drugs.

rl

"Premeditated killing" implies "murder," which is defined as unlawful killing. By definition, it was not an unlawful killing.

Yep. Premeditation can only be an aggravation of UNLAWFUL Homicide.

An execution for crime after "Due Process" cannot be unlawful since it forms part of the law of that jurisdiction! It must be premeditated - that's part of the due process.

Mike.

Taking the piss out of the FrenchAmericans since before it was fashionable.

Prenait la pisse hors du FrançaisCanadiens méridionaux puisqu'avant lui à la mode.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but now I have too much to lose to risk getting caught. So I don't smoke dope because of the potential consequences.

So, you don't think there's anything wrong with doing it, yet you think it's ok for there to be a law against it. I guess I just don't get that attitude.

I don't think I ever said that I was in favor of our current drug laws. There are other laws that I think are ridiculous too. But I still try to live within the law, most of the time (depending upon how concerned I am about consequences of doing something that's illegal that I don't personally think is wrong)....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

rl

pre: - prefix meaning "before"
meditate: - To reflect on; contemplate. To plan in the mind; intend

nothing about legal or illegal.

rl

pre: - prefix meaning "before"
meditate: - To reflect on; contemplate. To plan in the mind; intend

nothing about legal or illegal.

John, as a matter of etymology, you take the day, but all you've really done is show us the breakdown of a word into its two parts.

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and all that, remember?

As a legal concept, it's what I said it is. Worse yet, to use it in any other way is like reverse spin. If someone wants to say that he believes state-sanctioned killing is murder, then we can discuss that, but manipulating words is as much bullshit for the left as it is for the right and every political persuasion in between.

rl