LawnDart21

Death Penalty for drugs in Singapore?

I think about how I'd feel if that were to happen to me. If I were wrongly accused and convicted of a crime that carried a sentence of life in prison or the death penalty, the horror would be in being convicted and sent to prison. I think that whether I stayed in prison for the rest of my life or executed wouldn't really matter to me, because either way my life would be fucked.

If it were my child, I'd rather that he be alive in prison.

The problem is more in the wrongful conviction, though, than in the sentence when the options are life in prison or death, imho....

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

yeah, i agree with what you say

In England, the current prison population stands at around 70,000, we have politicians saying that people convicted of lesser crimes should not be sent to prison anymore due to over crowding :o they seem to think building more prisons isn't the answer :S

i say build as many as we need, and start making sentences fit the crime. Make life mean life, with no chance of parole

15 years ago, i met a young man who was the friend of a friend, he was an amature boxer. He had an ex girlfriend who was getting slapped around by her new boyfriend, he went and warned this guy to stop laying a hand on his ex girlfriend. About 2 weeks later, her new boyfriend beat her up again... the boxer guy waited out side the house of his ex's new boyfriend one night and beat him to death with his bare hands. He went to the police the next day and turned himself in, co-operated fully with them and admitted everything. He got a mandatory life sentence with a recommendation he serve 12 years... he actually served only 10 years and was released on parole

He got away with the premeditated murder of somebody and only served 10 years for it :S

>I said the gov't should never be permitted to kill.

Different argument. We were talking about whether the government has the right to take away some of a person's rights when they are convicted of a crime. I think it does. I also think that taking away a person's rights because of what someone ELSE does is wrong.

Now, whether that removal of rights involves a fine, probation, prison, or execution is a different argument. (But one that a great many threads here degenerate to; I should have seen that coming.)

P.S. No, there wasn't an actual analogy in it. You merely invited me to analogize using my daughter as the subject of a death penalty argument. I refer you to my diatribe above.

Just to be clear about my position.

If my daughter were a sociopath--the kind of person who ends up with a capital charge against her--then I would see it as only right and just that she be subject to the death penalty.

There is no rehabilitation for a sociopath. None. They are a blight on society and they need to be pruned out. They only look human.

So, if she were found guilty and sentenced to death for a capital crime, I would be at her side every step of the way, but that would be for me, not for her--because sociopaths are incapable of love, empathy, any kind of true caring for another person, no matter how well they can mimic all these things--and when it was done, I would grieve for my loss and for what might have been but was not.

I would still, however, support the death penalty.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb