Rookie120

Protesters at Soldiers funeral-

Experssing an opinion, no matter how disagreeable, is not a good reason for assault and battery. Bad manners is STILL not an offense in the USA (if it were, we'd have to build a whole lot of new prisons)..

(And let's be clear, I find this protest to be highly disagreeable and the people who made it to be equally disagreeable)

Believe it or not, we agree on this. I'm pointing out that I fully understand why someone might get hurt.

I place these protests on the same level as though that burn the flag, I hate both of them, but think both should have the right to do it. I also think those that do it, should make sure they have their asses covered, because while the law won't stop them, others might -- whether it's right or wrong.

I disagree. Burning the flag is a political statement. Disrespecting a dead soldier and his family is personal.

No, these 2 things are completely different.. Non one gets hurt if a flag is defiled but to disrupt someones funeral is really shite thing to do.. EVER.
Getting a fist in their face is the least they they can expect.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

[replyDo you actually believe in the 1st Amendment?

Do you believe it applies only to those whose opinions you agree with?

no one is disputing the right of these protesters. this is an example of just because you have the right to do something, it doesn't mean you should do it.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I believe in the first amendment, that the government shall not censor or infringe on our right of assembly. But if some retard shows up at my bros funeral screaming into a bullhorn, I reserve the right to kick their ass. I'm not the government.

I read about this on a motorcycle riders board. There are a bunch of motorcycle clubs offering their services to prevent these freaks from disurbing the grieving family members of fallen soldiers any longer. Good for them.

I disagree. Burning the flag is a political statement. Disrespecting a dead soldier and his family is personal.

That's a matter of perception though. Remember, the soldier is a tool of political policy. Don't get me wrong, if I was there, I might have extended my ASP and started knocking those asses out.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Experssing an opinion, no matter how disagreeable, is not a good reason for assault and battery. Bad manners is STILL not an offense in the USA (if it were, we'd have to build a whole lot of new prisons)..

(And let's be clear, I find this protest to be highly disagreeable and the people who made it to be equally disagreeable)

Believe it or not, we agree on this. I'm pointing out that I fully understand why someone might get hurt.

I place these protests on the same level as though that burn the flag, I hate both of them, but think both should have the right to do it. I also think those that do it, should make sure they have their asses covered, because while the law won't stop them, others might -- whether it's right or wrong.

Well ....damn. Well said, dude! For me is was disrespectful to the family and friends burying someone they loved, soldier or not. I do not excuse the violence but I see no reason to cause further pain to the family.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Do you actually believe in the 1st Amendment?

That's more of a left wing thing.....

The government did not infringe on the asshole's right to speech. An individual 'infringed' in the asshole's right to be insensitive and uncaring in a private assembly. Hopefully by knocking him down and calling the asshole's mom so she can also be ashamed of his acts.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hate to tell you but this

The same group has apparently done the same thing all across the nation. The extremist group feels anything bad that happens to the United States is because the country is tolerant of homosexuals. There were about seven people, both adults and children, who participated in the protest.

sounds really like a "Right wing thing" wouldn't you agree?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

sounds really like a "Right wing thing" wouldn't you agree?

Sounds really like an extremist loud-mouthed thing. You'd agree that fits both far ends of the spectrum. Wouldn't you?

(normally loud and in your face stereotyping is bucketed as a far left unwashed thing (big exception with anti-abortionists - even louder, but smell better), but the specific subject matter would fit some religious nuts normally stereotyped in the far right bucket, so I'd agree there with you in this one.). :P:P:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Do you actually believe in the 1st Amendment?

That's more of a left wing thing.....

The government did not infringe on the asshole's right to speech. An individual 'infringed' in the asshole's right to be insensitive and uncaring in a private assembly. Hopefully by knocking him down and calling the asshole's mom so she can also be ashamed of his acts.

Did they charge the individual who did the battery? I don't know, but if not, the government condoned the infringement.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Did they charge the individual who did the battery? I don't know, but if not, the government condoned the infringement.

Who is "they"? and which government? local, state, fed?

anyway - I think so from the article - but that should be tried as battery - well defined, not as infringement of free speech which in this case can be a bit hazy in definition. And, of course there is always the issue of the veteran being falsely accused by the freak who's trying to elevate his cause - which I don't doubt is much more common with extremist protestors (do you ever see poor throwing themselves at cops and then screaming brutality - they are hoping to win the lawsuit lottery......) But 'charging' doesn't = 'convicted', so a charge would be appropriate if anyone cried foul here. I do hesitate to take a 'bump' seriously, it's usually a result of some back and forth, not just dished out without cause.

"There was one arrest at the protest. A veteran faces a battery charge, for bumping into a protestor."

I still don't see how you tie "bumping" someone with infringing on their free speech. Certainly it infringes on their rights not to be bumped..... It's all pretty lame.

COuld you explain to me what that has to do with these pip shits prtesting a slodiers funeral?

These dipshit protestors are members of the infamous Westboro Baptist Church, of "God Hates Fags" infamy.

Their theology is quite fucked up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Phelps

www.godhatesfags.com

this shit makes me ashamed to be associated in the same broad category as "christian" with them... they might be in for a big surprise when they meet their maker...>:(

How'd you like to be a Christian AND share the same last name as this wacko?

steveOrino

I have a dream, that one day retards will be judged not by the groups with which they're even remotely associated, but by the content of their 21st chromosome ménage à trois.

I have the same dream That we hold that standard for all.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Exactly. Me taking out some guys who disrepect a funeral I am attending is not the government infringing upon their rights. Its me.

Well, if you also feel you have no bitch coming when you are arrested and tried for assault and battery ...and receive no more consideration in sentencing than any other individual who was unable to control his aggression and attack a cititizen who was breaking no laws and no direct threat to you or others.

If you agree with that, then I have no problem with your position.
-----------------------

Exactly. Me taking out some guys who disrepect a funeral I am attending is not the government infringing upon their rights. Its me.

Well, if you also feel you have no bitch coming when you are arrested and tried for assault and battery ...and receive no more consideration in sentencing than any other individual who was unable to control his aggression and attack a cititizen who was breaking no laws and no direct threat to you or others.

jen, something you and I agree on... ;)

-the artist formerly known as sinker

Ugh. I think this issue is more about a complete and total lack of class and good taste, rather than first amendment freedom.

I don't think they should be prosecuted or whatever for protesting, but I don't think they should've done it in the first place either.

Hmmm, it's precicely such issues that makes the first amendment vital to freedom and the reason it was the very first protection written.

"America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've got to want it bad, because it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil who is standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the 'land of the free'? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the 'land of the free.'" --President Andrew Shepherd in The American President
-----------------------

Well good. Cause that is what I think. Like rehmwa said, the 1st (and actually, the whole bill of rights) protects from the government, not another citizen. If I hit the guy, I would assume I would be arrested.

I am not saying I would actually hit anyone. What I am saying is that a fight between two people over what one says is not a 1st issue.

They certainly have the right to stand across the street and spout their crap, but if they happened onto the funeral home (and thereby private property), their right to free speech ends as far as I am concerned. It should also be noted that I do not know if they were on the property and I am too lazy to look.

In anycase, we are in agreement. :)
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Like I said, I don't think they should be prosecuted or stopped (first amendment), just that their timing and location showed a total lack of class and respect for a soldier and his family.

They should be allowed to protest within the rights granted to them by the constitution. However, it's my opinion that I wish they would do so in a more respectful manner.