JohnRich

San Francisco Gun Ban

News:
Proposition H, which requires city residents who already own guns to turn them in to police by April 1, was winning 58 percent to 42 percent with 98 percent of precincts counted. The measure also makes it illegal to buy, sell, distribute and manufacture firearms and ammunition in the city.
Source: Chronicle

They just turned thousands of law-abiding citizens into criminals, with the stroke of a pen.

I wonder when the police will start going door-to-door to search for, and confiscate all these now-illegal handguns? I wonder what they'll do with the 4th Amendment to accomplish that?

I wonder how they'll protect themselves when the next big earthquake hits San Francisco, and chaos rules, as it did during hurricane Katrine in New Orleans? Will they then reject help from the National Guard because they carry guns?

I wonder how they'll justify this ban in court since it violates state preemption law on this issue? They don't have the authority to ban guns at the city level.

I wonder if the residents know that when this same thing was done previously 20 years ago while Diane Feinstein was mayor, that it was overturned by the courts?

I wonder if the taxpayers know how much of their money will be wasted defending this illegal action in court?

Good luck, San Franciscoans. You get what you deserve.

That's pretty fucked up right there. Are they even offering compensation for the guns you turn in? Not that that would make it better, but geez.

"San Francisco voters are smart and believe in sensible gun control,"

The fact that this passed pretty much disproves the above statement.

It wasn't an impressive showing by city residents. I live here, but maintain my permament residence across the bay.

They voted for a purely symbolic measure opposing military recruiters on campus. Didn't have the conviction to actually force them off, because then they'd lose federal funding.

Voted for a fireman's right to work initiative that would prevent the city from closing firehouses due to budget or lack of need.

And yeah, I think they dismissed from their minds the legal concerns and decided to make the symbolic gesture on the handgun ban. Mind you, even the Chronicle and Examiner recommended a no vote.

Thanks to the GOP in DC, there is money available to waste on this lawsuit that previously would have been spent on many more bogus lawsuits.

I won't be turning mine in.

is it legal to kill an intruder in your house in america?

Not in San Francisco, I'd assume. But in more rational locales there are circumstances which allow for the use of deadly force (although the P.C. intent is "to stop" not "to kill").
Provoking a reaction isn't the same thing as saying something meaningful.
-Calvin

Not in San Francisco, I'd assume.

That brings up another interesting effect to this referendum. When someone uses a handgun to legally defend themself from an attacker, the police will show up to arrest both the intruder, and his intended victim. The intended victim will be considered a criminal too. How nice! So the citizens there better get a nice shotgun now for home defense, so they don't end up in jail alongside their attacker, for daring to defend themselves and their family from criminal attack.

"San Francisco voters are smart and believe in sensible gun control,"

The fact that this passed pretty much disproves the above statement.

And gun owners please note from the quote above that the anti-gun folks consider a complete ban to be "sensible". So the next time you see them on the news calling for "sensible gun-control" and you think they sound like normal, reasonable people, remember this quote above. They are wolves in sheep's clothing. They say nice-sounding things, but they're true agenda is a total ban on private ownership, which is far from sensible in the opinion of most Americans.

is it some kind of macho ego trip that none Ameicans just don't understand?

The fact of the matter is that when I carry a gun, it is not to exercise my legal right as an American but to protect myself when I walk down Colfax Avenue at midnight.

The problem is there is too much gun control in this country. Take a look at New York City, ALL firearms were outlawed within the five burrows and gun related crimes went up. Explain that. If you make firearms illegal, the ONLY people you hurt are law abiding citizens. You take away the cab drivers right to carry a .357 under the seat an defend himself and you make him an easy target to get mugged. You take away that liquor store owners right to keep a shotgun behind the counter and you make it cake for any gang member off the street to come in and rob him blind. You make guns illegal and the only people that will have them are the criminals, because hey, they're criminals, they're already breaking the law what do they care if they have an illegal hand gun? Did making drugs illegal stop people from getting them?

Now lets examine the reverse side. Switzerland. Nice European country. Safe. Is it just a coincidence that nearly every citizen there possesses a firearm? And not just any firearm... a machine gun. This is Switzerland's version of the national guard and it works. There is very little to no firearms related deaths in the country. So it must not be guns, in their fundamental nature that causes people to be killed by them.

The United States' problem is that for a law maker, gun control laws are some of the easiest laws to pass. Coining phrases like: "to make the streets safer" or "won't somebody please think of the children" and the voters of this country mop it up.

To me, the thing that makes me feel safe walking down the streets in a bad part of town is not the fact that those who would hurt me are not supposed to have guns, but the fact that I have the right, if I wish to carry a handgun and take my safety into my own hands.

Why don't we just outlaw reserve handles while were at it, because hey, after all you have an AAD and malfunctions are rare anyway.
confucious say: he who stands on top of toilet gets high on pot.

why do you want guns anyway?

is it some kind of macho ego trip that none Ameicans just don't understand?

Because they're fun, because they're useful, because we can.

The gun control laws take away from honest, law-abiding citizens the constitutional right to bear arms, leaving criminals with all the firepower.

We'll pay for this stupidity eventually.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

good points, but i'm not sure everyody who carries a gun is actuall prepared for the aftermath of killing somebody.... its ok to shoot an attacker in the panic of being mugged, but thast going to haunt alot of people for the est of their lives

good points, but i'm not sure everyody who carries a gun is actuall prepared for the aftermath of killing somebody.... its ok to shoot an attacker in the panic of being mugged, but thast going to haunt alot of people for the est of their lives

And??? Adults can make choices for themselves and live with the consequences.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

why do you want guns anyway?

In America, we don't have to defend our 'wants.'

Or read Rhonda's one line answer.

(though if it weren't for rabid anti gun nuts, I probably wouldn't have felt the urgency to buy guns, leading to buying even more for a nice collection)

Not in San Francisco, I'd assume.

That brings up another interesting effect to this referendum. When someone uses a handgun to legally defend themself from an attacker, the police will show up to arrest both the intruder, and his intended victim. The intended victim will be considered a criminal too. How nice! So the citizens there better get a nice shotgun now for home defense, so they don't end up in jail alongside their attacker, for daring to defend themselves and their family from criminal attack.

If all you want is to defend your home, surely a shotgun is the best weapon anyway.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

(though if it weren't for rabid anti gun nuts, I probably wouldn't have felt the urgency to buy guns, leading to buying even more for a nice collection)

That's why I'm shopping for a new gun.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)