busaunit

Professor's experience in New Orleans

You know what they say about people who ASSUME things.:S

Call him a liar on the internet, but by all means, don't ask the man a simple question!

I didn't assume anything. I offered an alternative explaination for why he didn't leave. I even stated I didn't know if this was true, and that I was just guessing. I don't see anyone else falling all over themselves to find out why either. And unlike others, at least I'm honest enough to say I really don't care enough to make the call.

"which indicates he doesn't want to talk about it for some reason." looks like a pretty good assumption to me. As does "If I thought he would tell me the truth, I might, but he obviously doesn't want it known"

The "Blame the victim able-bodied that could have left but didn't" crowd has been assuming all through this thread.

Fixed that for ya... ;)

No, you just corrupted it with another assumption.

So, what do you say now about the date the emergency was declared? Still going to go on and on about how FEMA had to wait (but the US Coast Guard didn't)?

I answered that in the other thread - are you going to answer why the state/city told the Airborne they weren't needed?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I'm not the one questioning his motives (or speculating about them) for staying behind. His contact information is there for anyone who wants to ask him. You and many others are speculating, but no one has bothered to ask him directly. Why not?

(oh, I know, he'd only LIE anyway!)

And as I said, there's no reason for Bush to be greedy. There is plenty of blame to go around!

I'm not the one questioning his motives (or speculating about them) for staying behind. His contact information is there for anyone who wants to ask him. You and many others are speculating, but no one has bothered to ask him directly. Why not?

(oh, I know, he'd only LIE anyway!)

And as I said, there's no reason for Bush to be greedy. There is plenty of blame to go around!

As I said, I really don't care. Are you in the habit of calling everybody you read about on the internet up and asking about their motives? And yes, I believe he had his reasons for leaving the first 2 days out of his essay and the reason they weren't able to leave when the evacuation was called for.

Did you know their are people who get a thrill out of experiencing natures fury? Yep, it's true. there are people who rush to see hurricaines, volcanos, earthquakes etc because they find it exciting. Much in the same way some find it exciting jumping out of airplanes.

-

You seem to be spending a lot of time speculating about his motives (to his detriment) for someone who doesn't care.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Again, I am not the one speculating about his motives and essentially slandering him behind his back. His contact information is here, no one is using it. Hardly seems fair, that's all I'm saying.

I am well aware that there are yahoos out there who enjoy experiencing "Nature's Fury" and there are just as many people who assume it won't be that bad, so why evacuate when they can tough it out. I don't know if he falls into either category or if all the flights were full. I do know a lot of people who stayed behind took refuge in the French Quarter because its on higher ground than the rest of the city. And it did survive the storm pretty well up until the levee broke too!

BTW, it seems to have worked. There have been far more comments on the author than on the content of the article.

Good job! :|

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

If I'm posting shit about someone, and saying they're a liar, you'd better believe I care enough about the topic to do so.

Why wouldn't I?

Wendy W.

I answered that in the other thread - are you going to answer why the state/city told the Airborne they weren't needed?

My understanding is that under the law the commander is always authorized to send in troops for humanitarian reasons. Posse Comitatus only prevents troops from being used for police work.

And the declaration of a state of emergency is all that's needed to authorize the President, anyway.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

We treated the tsnumani victims with more dignity and respect than our own citizens.

Thats because the Tsunami victims acted with more respect, dignity and class than our own citizens. Help was MUCH later reaching the Tsunami victims than the Katrina victims.

The Tsunami's helped themselves until help arrived. They took care of their dead, didn't loot on the FIRST day of the disaster, didn't rape and kill each other...

But that is because they don't have a government and a society that has created a welfare state that raises people totally incapable of doing ANYTHING for themselves. They were on their own in poverty before the wave.

The real problem I have is, while not everyone down there looted or raped, they all stood by idly while everyone else did. I think that makes them just as guilty.

I don't think of them as 'black' either. All of my black friends say there is no way they would let these people stay with them. All my black friends are at the same economic and social level as me too, making my belief that this is an economic and social disaster, not a race issue. (although it hits the African American community the hardest by far)

Whos fault is it? There is blame to go all around. Poverty, whis is a big disgrace in America, perpetuates it. The passed down lack of morals and abbhorrent social behaviors perpetuates it.

Is there an answer? Im sad to say I don't think there is.

--

Ok, maybe the Professor was having too much fun at the conference and let his guard down. There are 4 little old ladies sharing an apartment up here in Arkansas that left 2 days BEFORE the storm hit. The oldest, Virgina, will be 83 tomorrow. I think the professor had no idea what the storm could do. Otherwise, he would have hitched a ride and got out of Dodge. He was out of his element and had no idea what the storm could do.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Mike, maybe some of the poor evacuated will be able to start new productive lives out of their welfare bondage. My guess is that many had never been out of the city. I hope something good will come out of this.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

ROLFMFAO. Ok., somtimes picking up the phone really clarifies things. Someone suggested that someone else pick up the phone and ask why he was in NOLA when there was a Cat 5 headed out.

So, I'm just off the phone with Joel Stillman, the professed author of the article. When I asked him if he'd clarify something about the article, he told me no, he was unable to do so. When I asked for clarification about that, and his response was "I wasn't there; as far as I know, no sociology professers were; none that I know of, at least."

He then explained that he had taken a story written by EMTs, as well as a NYT article, and forwarded it to his email group. Somehow, in the forwarding of it, the names of the EMTs (who are the actual authors) were edited out, and that it became this big thing about him.

He asked me to clarify this to everyone, and thanked me for calling; apparently, he's gotten tons of email, and phone calls, and is doing his best to get the truth out there. He apologized, and again explained that he wasn't there, and had no first hand knowledge of the situation.

As for the EMTs, they stayed because they thought they might be able to help. That's honorable, and decent of them. I am sorry they had such a horrific experience, but thankful that they survived.

Funny how a phone call can stop the whole "operator" experience.

LOLOL!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

ROLFMFAO.

Thanks, Michele. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

(edit to add: Wait!! You just ruined a perfectly good thread with facts:o) :P

Wendy W.

Here is a quote which saddens me. Not about this incident (or fabrication of incident it seems), but about a doctor and FEMA and lawsuits:

"I showed [the U.S. Coast Guard official in charge] my medical credentials. I had tried to get through to FEMA for 12 hours the day before and finally gave up. I asked him to let me stay until I was replaced by another doctor, but he refused. He said he was afraid of being sued. I informed him about the Good Samaritan laws and asked him if he was willing to let people die so the government wouldn't be sued, but he would not back down. I had to leave." -- Dr. Mark N. Perlmutter, on being ordered to stop treating patients at the New Orleans airport by a federal official because he wasn't registered with the Federal Emergency Management Agency
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

If I'm posting shit about someone, and saying they're a liar, you'd better believe I care enough about the topic to do so.

Why wouldn't I?

Wendy W.

I didn't call him a liar. I said he probably wouldn't tell me the truth anyway. If I said he would probably shoot me, would you accuse me of calling him a murderer?