StreetScooby

Insurers bailing on Katrina victims...

According to a friend of mine who moved here to California from New Orleans last year, they have 80 billion dollars to send troops to Iraq but they dont have the 20 million as was asked for by the state of LA to maintain the levees. He said they had asked for 20 million for that project but only recieved 2 million from the fed govt.

I've also heard that of that 2 million, the majority of it was not used on maintaining the levees.

Exactly! It's just as much the banks' investments. THEY will be the big losers, and likely the big-money plaintiffs against the insurance companies.

I moved from another flood prone area, and EVERYONE in the "danger zone" was required to carry flood insurance...
Now, i have to say that none of the "danger zones" there were low income housing areas.

Floods just dont happen, it may be a storm (rain or snow), broken
infrastructure(levies, damns....) I have seen first hand the fight between the insured, and the insurance companies..... for the most part, if you dont have flood insurance you are SOL...:|
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Which is actually a nightmare for the banks just as much as it is for the insureds.

It's amazing that Banks wouldnt make their NO customers carry flood insurance.

It doesn't make sense at all. I have been in home lending and insurance both, and I assure you here in WA if you are in a 'flood zone', you WILL NOT get a home loan without federal flood insurance. Insurance providers DO NOT provide flood insurance, the feds do.

Earthquake insurance, however, is optional, pricey as hell, and carries a $10,000 deductible. :S -Yes I have it.

That's how stuff is here in WA, anyhow.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

When we lived in ocean springs, we were not required to have flood insurance, be the neighbor across the street was. we carried flood insurance the whole time we owned the house and fortunately never had to use it, but we did have some close calls. since we weren't in a flood zone, it was very inexpensive. we strongly recommended to the buyers of the house to get flood insurance, but i don't know if they did. we still haven't heard if it flooded during katrina.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com