KidWicked

Oh, really?

The Iraqi insurgency is in its last throes.

Stupid comment

The economy is booming.

Have you seen the history since 2000? And I assume you want to pay 50% taxes?

Anybody who leaks a CIA agent's identity will be fired.

Not proven he directly did...he didn't know and until they 100% prove otherwise...well.

Help is on the way.

7000 troops isn't help?

A day late? Well, it takes a shitload more work to move that kind of personnel and equipment then you could ever imagine. You want 7000 troops there in a matter of hours....keep dreaming.

It's a figure of speech. It's considerably more than a day.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The Iraqi insurgency is in its last throes.

Stupid comment

The economy is booming.

Have you seen the history since 2000? And I assume you want to pay 50% taxes?

Here's a history:

And while I don't like paying taxes, I like being in debt even less.

It still stands, he wants troops "instantly." It takes an incredible amount of work to move masses of equipment and people.

Especially if 35% of the state's NG personnel and most of their equipment is in Iraq.

A day late? Well, it takes a shitload more work to move that kind of personnel and equipment then you could ever imagine. You want 7000 troops there in a matter of hours....keep dreaming.

OK, but some folks around here expect to evacuate 500,000 people in various states of health and of all ages with no prior training and in many cases no transportation, from a city in chaos, in 24 hours and then criticize those that didn't make it for one reason or another.

It still stands, he wants troops "instantly." It takes an incredible amount of work to move masses of equipment and people.

Hi VP

Thats a interesting statement.

Can you tell us how long it would take with three days advance notice to put boots on the ground.

BTW I don't believe Iraq (Irak) deployment played a major role in the FUBAR.

R.I.P.

Especially if 35% of the state's NG personnel and most of their equipment is in Iraq.

my friend is in the florida national guard. she was told to stand by, but yesterday her unit was told to stand down. apparently there are enough troops and equipment already there.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

>BTW I don't believe Iraq (Irak) deployment played a major role in the FUBAR.

----------------------------------------------
. . . Over the next 10 years, the Army Corps of Engineers, tasked with carrying out SELA (Southeast Louisiana Urban Flood Control Project) spent $430 million on shoring up levees and building pumping stations, with $50 million in local aid. But at least $250 million in crucial projects remained, even as hurricane activity in the Atlantic Basin increased dramatically and the levees surrounding New Orleans continued to subside.

Yet after 2003, the flow of federal dollars toward SELA dropped to a trickle. The Corps never tried to hide the fact that the spending pressures of the war in Iraq, as well as homeland security -- coming at the same time as federal tax cuts -- was the reason for the strain. At least nine articles in the Times-Picayune from 2004 and 2005 specifically cite the cost of Iraq as a reason for the lack of hurricane- and flood-control dollars.

. . .

In early 2004, as the cost of the conflict in Iraq soared, President Bush proposed spending less than 20 percent of what the Corps said was needed for Lake Pontchartrain, according to a Feb. 16, 2004, article, in New Orleans CityBusiness.

On June 8, 2004, Walter Maestri, emergency management chief for Jefferson Parish, Louisiana; told the Times-Picayune: "It appears that the money has been moved in the president's budget to handle homeland security and the war in Iraq, and I suppose that's the price we pay. Nobody locally is happy that the levees can't be finished, and we are doing everything we can to make the case that this is a security issue for us."

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001051313

I have a question (it's not loaded). It has been reported that a levee or levees failed. Much of the talk about the cuts deals with the levees not being completed. If the levees had been finished would it have prevented the failure? It is known that the scheduled work on the levees was designed to increase capacity, but was the structural integrity of the levees to be improved if all of the funding had been granted? Is the failure of the levee the specific problem here? Would all of the hoped for work on the levees actually have prevented this?

We do know that the proposed improvements to the levees was aimed at increasing capacity...to deal with a greater rise in water levels than was actually seen in and around New Orleans this past week.

Is it possible that the problem here is not that the levees were not completed but that the levees that were in place were poorly formed?

Opinions are always appreciated. But I would really like to know the truth of this. Links would be much appreciated.

Edited to keep it simple.

FallRate