freeflir29

Prosecutions in Iraq

but bro, if you really come to look at it, your article proves the oposite point. ..... imagine it's your wife/mother/brother/friend /whatever that got killed and the guy that did it got three years at most..... or just get fired from their job. i personnally am not saying i don't understand that there are some hard descisions to be made over there ( and over here too for that matter) . i'm gonna kill the spelling here, but if the guys doing the right thing over there ostrasized the "cowards" doing this punk shit, they'd stop pretty quick i'll bet.

a few quick brainstorms....

- if the bloods did a drive by against the crips and where cutting up faces and exicuting anyone who whore blue alot of these guys would be saying how we've gotta do something about the savages....and theyed be right to say that.

- it seems the troops really can't win over there. i love gas guzzeling things.... hot rods, bikes , and jump planes, but it's not worth the cheap gas when you consider it's a billion dollars a week to be there.

- iraq was one of the most technically advanced arab societies in the mid east before the war. ( i never saw it with my own eyes but thats what i've read and heard) these us contractors are just rebuilding the shit that we blew up in the first place. did we need to blow up the power grid , water treatment plants etc. to get saddam husein. seems like poor planning at least. these guys can beat us long term cause we'll go broke the way we're going.

- ain't no one fighting for my freedom over there. the things threatening my freedom are domestic.

- the world is getting smaller, the only way to end terrorism/ freedom fighting/thugery/whatever any one wants to call it is to more equally distribute the wealth of the world , educate people, and respect all life equally.

people see me as a challenge to their balance

computer wouldn't let me finish on that post so here goes the rest...

-even with all the negative shit we hear, this war ( and modern wars in general ) are getting less bloody and civil. they used to line up on opposite sides of a field and run at eachother with swords, world war II counted casualties in millions of people, veitnom in tens of thousands, this one is down to thousands.... we are making progress.

-as a civilized society we 've got to find a better way.

but bro, if you really come to look at it, your article proves the oposite point. ..... imagine it's your wife/mother/brother/friend /whatever that got killed and the guy that did it got three years at most..... or just get fired from their job.***

what he said
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

A soldier who admitted executing a wounded Iraqi teenager received three years in prison

Prosecutors said one man drowned after Army soldiers forced him into the Tigris River as punishment for breaking a curfew. The lieutenant who allegedly ordered the action received 45 days on an assault conviction

A prisoner died after being dragged out of his holding cell by the neck, stripped naked and left outside for seven hours. The Marine major who commanded the facility was convicted of dereliction of duty and maltreatment and dismissed from the service.

Do you still say that the U.S values life, or err on the side of life? What a joke.

Juanesky, where are you know? Do you still defend the justice system? :|

A soldier who admitted executing a wounded Iraqi teenager received three years in prison

How was the Iraqi wounded? There are some instances where shooting someone might be more humane than letting them sit there and suffer for hours before they die. Also, ignore "teenager", it was thrown in there for the sole purpose of generating a negative emotional response (I would think it likely he was probably 18 or 19 years old, otherwise I'm sure they would have listed his age). Also note that the article never said the he was a civilian.

Prosecutors said one man drowned after Army soldiers forced him into the Tigris River as punishment for breaking a curfew. The lieutenant who allegedly ordered the action received 45 days on an assault conviction

I'm sure there is more to the story than that. The prosecutors' statement was listed, note that the statement of the defense was not.

A prisoner died after being dragged out of his holding cell by the neck, stripped naked and left outside for seven hours. The Marine major who commanded the facility was convicted of dereliction of duty and maltreatment and dismissed from the service.

You don't know how involved the major who commanded the facility was, if at all. I would be very interested to hear what was done to the people that actually committed the act.

You don't have all the information, so making judgements on US values because of 3 incidents is pretty far-fetched and pathetic. What a joke.:S:S

I think Clay's intent was to show that people that do bad stuff over there are being prosecuted for it.

I think the intent of the article was to make it seem like US soldiers are over there killing innocent teenagers, drowning and torturing people on a daily basis, and getting nothing more than a slap on the wrist for it. It's pretty much the most biased article I've read in a while, and not a very good choice to make the intended point. B|

You don't have all the information, so making judgements on US values because of 3 incidents is pretty far-fetched and pathetic.:S

We never have ALL the information. And if we start playing what-ifs, no one is guilty of anything.

The fact is that no american soldiers have been severely or even moderately punished for any misbehaviour. Probably due to those continous what ifs that allows to ditch responsability.

What a joke.:S

The joke is that there is still people who thinks that justice is being done.

Regardless, that article didn't even come close to supporting the point of view Clay was trying to show. What was its relevance?

It had several things good in it. this quote for one:

The Legion post's commander, Michael Gregorio, a Marine veteran of Vietnam, said it's not fair to second-guess troops fighting a war against non-uniformed insurgents.

"You're not rushing a hill" in Iraq, he said. "You're stopping people who are civilians ... who could become insurgents in a matter of seconds."

It is VERY hard to be a nice guy when a person could just pop out of the crowd and kill you.

They are dressed the same, look the same, and act the same....Till they kill you.

Not an easy situation.

Also, :

"In both cases, defense lawyers said the men acted in self-defense. Pantano received extensive support from conservatives and veterans after his mother created a lobbying group to support "the man who puts his life on the line again and again, who makes life-or-death decisions in the blazing heat, exhaustion, fear and confusion of war."

Further complicating that case, Pantano acknowledged shooting his victims more than 60 times and hanging a sign over their corpses as a warning. "

He was found not guilty of the shooting. He ordered two prisoners to search the car they were driving that was seen leaving a building that was being taken down as a building with a large stash of weapons in there. The two prisoners quit talking english and started wispering in Arabic. Pantano order them to be quiet, but they kept talking. Pantano told them to stop in both English and Arabic. Finnaly BOTH MEN TURNED AND STARTED TO MOVE TOWARDS Pantano AT THE SAME TIME. He told them to stop in both English an Arabic...Finally he fired.

He did fire way to many rounds.

He was charged for the sign, not the shooting.

Hanging the sign was stupid...Do you know what the sign said?

"No better friend, no worse enemy". It was the slogan of his task force.

It meant that if you were good guys, the US was your best friend, and if you were a terroist the US was your wost enemy.

This is an OLD method. Political correctness does not allow it anymore, but it does work.

Anyone know of the sniper in Nam that wore a white feather? Carlos Hathcock. And he was a very feared man by the VC with quite a bounty on his head.

The relevance is that people are being punished...Maybe not to the standards some want, but very few who are bitching understand the environment.

You cannot compare a punsihment for someone killing someone by accident or negligance in a war zone to the same crime done in NY, London, or Berlin.

Is it wrong? Yes. But it would be insane to punish them the same.

Better to just put bullets in your own troops heads than hobble them to the point that they are nothing more than targets.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

We never have ALL the information. And if we start playing what-ifs, no one is guilty of anything.

That's true of every trial. What-ifs are better than blindly assuming everything you read from an article on a website is true.

We can't have all the info, but you were making harsh assumptions based on very little information, and very biased information at that.

The fact is that no american soldiers have been severely or even moderately punished for any misbehaviour. Probably due to those continous what ifs that allows to ditch responsability.

You claim this is a fact, care to provide any accurate info to back that up?

I'd look some stuff up myself, but it is a rather busy day at the office today. [:/]

You know what man I give up.

Here is an article posted by a contractor who is in Iraq who obviously posted this to show how the people who do wrong are being punished. The punishment for murder is 3 years wow what justice. The sad part is
there are still people on here bringing up what ifs and the article is wrong or bias and all the usual BS.

I get it. You are never wrong in your own little world no matter what the facts. Even when there is video you still come up with your bullshit what ifs.
How blind can people be? It is funny how if you just change the names in the article to a Muslim killing an American then that article would be all the proof they would need and there would be no what ifs.

At least now I know not to waist my time.
The point of a discussion is to have an open mind on both sides. Not blind loyalty and the inability to admit fault.

You know what man I give up.

Here is an article posted by a contractor who is in Iraq who obviously posted this to show how the people who do wrong are being punished. The punishment for murder is 3 years wow what justice. The sad part is
there are still people on here bringing up what ifs and the article is wrong or bias and all the usual BS.

I get it. You are never wrong in your own little world no matter what the facts. Even when there is video you still come up with your bullshit what ifs.
How blind can people be? It is funny how if you just change the names in the article to a Muslim killing an American then that article would be all the proof they would need and there would be no what ifs.

The point of a discussion is to have an open mind on both sides. Not blind loyalty and the inability to admit fault.

I think what you aren't understanding is that there may be mitigating circumstances. There are people in the US that have committed murder but because of the circumstances surrounding the crime, they recieved no jail time. A woman who shoots her abusive husband or someone trying to rape her comes to mind. I'm not saying that is the case here because we weren't sitting in the courtroom and don't know what those circumstances might be.

There is always the possibility of what ifs.

Why is the what ifs are only brought up when we are accused but never when we are the accuser?
Why is not the same benifit given to others.

The true meaning of justice is justice for all the same justice not a compromised version of it.

You know for fact weather you will admit it or not that if the article was about a Muslim killing an American teenager. NO ONE would bring up the fact that he was probably 19 and they just said teenager to make us mad. That’s the bull shit that shows peoples true colors.

How was the Iraqi wounded? There are some instances where shooting someone might be more humane than letting them sit there and suffer for hours before they die. Also, ignore "teenager", it was thrown in there for the sole purpose of generating a negative emotional response (I would think it likely he was probably 18 or 19 years old, otherwise I'm sure they would have listed his age). Also note that the article never said the he was a civilian.

You know you would not be considering any of that if it was an American teenager killed by an Iraqi. That's the BS i am talking about

The punishment for murder is 3 years wow what justice.

The article never said murder, that's just what the writer wanted you to think when you read it. They threw in the "teenager" part for effect. Do you always believe everything you see/hear in the media? It looks like it.

The sad part isn there are still people on here bringing up what ifs and the article is wrong or bias and all the usual BS.

The article is very biased, whats sad is that many people don't see that. The article left out some very relevant information.

Who said anything about video?

How blind can people be?

It seems that some can be pretty blind.

Than please stop wasting ours.

Try it sometime.

You know you would not be considering any of that if it was an American teenager killed by an Iraqi.

Thank you for telling my what I would think and do. I wouldn't have known if you hadn't told me.:S

That's the BS i am talking about

The only BS I see is you telling people what they would and wouldn't think.

>I think what you aren't understanding is that there may be mitigating
> circumstances.

I think you are dead on here. The mitigating circumstance is that the perpetrator was american, and that's what all the fuss is about. Imagine what would happen had an Iraqi fought with, then drowned, an off-duty US soldier. Think he'd get 45 days in jail? He'd be lucky not to be tortured to death in a US prison.

The relevance is that people are being punished...Maybe not to the standards some want, but very few who are bitching understand the environment.

You cannot compare a punsihment for someone killing someone by accident or negligance in a war zone to the same crime done in NY, London, or Berlin.

Is it wrong? Yes. But it would be insane to punish them the same.

ron what a can of worms you opened with this, you see .... thats always the exuse when they kill dark skinned people, the circumstances.. the stress... the fear... you say it would be treated differentlly in ny london and berlin. what about 4 white cops shooting a hard working legal imigrant on his dor step 41 times for reaching for his wallet.... in nyc a few years back..... no jail time.

a few months later under covers shot a guy in a storage area for running from under cover cops, the guy heard a bust going on and ran cause he didn't know what the rukus was about.... no jail time for the cops.

what about the guy in london... the arab guy er brazilian or whatever dark skinned guy he was...that got shot running from plains cloths cops with guns out rushing up on him..... the jury is still out on that but don't hold your breath for justice on that one either.

what if i shot a cop cause i thaught he was pointing a gun at me....i'll bet there'd be some jail time attached to that.

the problem is this military police state atitude we've got going here.

no doubt about it it ain't easy on the pawns put in the line off fire by the governments. but they are not being trained right or something. and like i said before.... the leadership isn't doing a damn thing about the problem... so it's up to the guys doing it right to get on the ego challenged punks doing this cowardlly stuff ....not defending them.

imagine a rowdy bunch of sky divers around a camp fire drunk and having a good time being loud and what not.....and some cop comes up and starts shooting in the crowd cause he doesn't see the innocence of the situation..... now picture an afgahni wedding party getting bombed for doing the same thing .....

>I think what you aren't understanding is that there may be mitigating
> circumstances.

I think you are dead on here. The mitigating circumstance is that the perpetrator was american, and that's what all the fuss is about. Imagine what would happen had an Iraqi fought with, then drowned, an off-duty US soldier. Think he'd get 45 days in jail? He'd be lucky not to be tortured to death in a US prison.

So you know this for a fact because you were in the Courtroom and heard all the testimony? Gee Bill, you really do get around.

>So you know this for a fact because you were in the Courtroom
>and heard all the testimony?

I was there at least as often as you were.

The difference is I accept the ruling of the Court because they are the ones who made the ruling after hearing the evidence. You are just tossing bullshit.

> . . .because they are the ones who made the ruling after hearing the evidence.

So you believe, for example, that OJ is innocent of all crimes? That Clinton isn't guilty of lying under oath? Good to hear you have so much faith in the system! It almost seemed for a second that you only went with the court when you agreed with their decisions.

> . . .because they are the ones who made the ruling after hearing the evidence.

So you believe, for example, that OJ is innocent of all crimes? That Clinton isn't guilty of lying under oath? Good to hear you have so much faith in the system! It almost seemed for a second that you only went with the court when you agreed with their decisions.

Nice try Bill. Point out a few high-profile cases and then try to use them to suggest the whole legal sytem is corrupt. You have any evidence to refute the findings or do you just like the smell of Bullshit.

JAKARTA (Reuters) - An Indonesian court on Tuesday sentenced a man to four years in jail for his role in a suicide car bombing outside the Australian embassy in Jakarta last year, the second conviction handed down over the attack.

Agus Ahmad, 31, was found guilty by the South Jakarta district court of helping alleged bombing mastermind Azahari bin Husin prepare for the blast, which killed 10 people, all of them Indonesians.

The three-judge panel said Ahmad helped Azahari, a Malaysian and senior figure in Jemaah Islamiah, an al Qaeda-linked network, as well as another defendant, Iwan Dharmawan alias Rois, transport explosive materials in July 2004.

"The defendant surely knew the things being carried around were explosive materials and that they could be used to make a bomb," said presiding judge Johannes Suhadi.

Ahmad said he would appeal.

Prosecutors had earlier demanded the court jail Ahmad for five years for helping transport and hide the materials that were used in the Sept. 9, 2004, blast.

Indonesia has blamed Jemaah Islamiah, a Southeast Asian militant network, for the attack.

Azahari along with fellow Malaysian Noordin M. Top are the most wanted men in Indonesia -- where police believe they are hiding. Police have said they believe both are recruiting more Islamic militants for further attacks.

The duo are also accused of involvement in the 2002 Bali nightclub blasts that killed 202 people and a 2003 car bombing at Jakarta's JW Marriott Hotel that left 12 dead.

Ahmad was initially charged for hiding Azahari but the prosecution dropped the charge because they believed the alleged bombmaker used an alias and Ahmad did not know he was wanted for the Bali and Marriott attacks.

Last week, the same court handed Irun Hidayat a 42-month jail term for assisting the bombers after failing to prove he helped plan and execute the attack.

The one-tonbomb ripped open the blast-proof fence at the front of the heavily fortified Australian mission and damaged the front of the main building.