EricTheRed

Your god can't help

usually there is more then one answer to any given problem.

More than one answer?

Is light a wave or a particle?

One answer, Light does show all the behaviour of waves with reflection, refraction and diffraction but it does show particle properties with black-body radiation and the photoelectric effect. This is known as the wave-particle duality..B|
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

More than one answer?

One answer, Light does show all the behaviour of waves with reflection, refraction and diffraction but it does show particle properties with black-body radiation and the photoelectric effect. This is known as the wave-particle duality..B|

Is God a man or a woman?

More than one answer?

Is God a man or a woman?

Light exists, Gods do not… your question has no answer…
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

Light exists, Gods do not…

prove your answer...

Do you really need to prove that light exists, I can if you want???

[:/] As for God I dont have to, its your job to prove that he DOES exist.... which *ahem* you can't......

Actually if you think you can, I know a chap that will give you a cool million bucks... So want to step up??? I thought not.......

actually it not my job to prove anything, however making definitive statements you CAN NOT prove

"..Gods do not"

is simply silly...

Well prove me otherwise...... whats that noise... oh its silence..... you claim there is a "god" so prove it.. and like I said before "you CANT" ...

nor can you prove there is not, and YOU are the one making assertions you cannot support, not i...

but perhaps that subtle difference eludes you...

nor can you prove there is not, and YOU are the one making assertions you cannot support, not i...

It is not my job as a non believer to prove there is no God, the responsibility to prove there is one, lies with the believers.

However after nearly 2000 years since the supposed Birth of Jesus, there is still no evidence that he even existed.. Therefore I feel quite comfortable in saying there is no god...

If the believers think otherwise, and want others to take them seriously, then they need to show some proof….

So can anyone here prove there is a god, or any gods?????

Jesus thinks you're a jerk.

So, you spoke with Jesus today? But, did he see the post in it's entire context?

Not that my sig-line adds much to the discussion, but I invite you to have a look at the reference.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

It is not my job as a non believer to prove there is no God, the responsibility to prove there is one, lies with the believers.

Actually it is. That's the difference between the atheist and agnostic view. If you categorically claim that God does not exist, the lack of proofs substantiating God's existence is irrelevant, you need to provide positive proofs of that non-existence. Otherwise, your statement is as vacuous as, "there are no lifeforms in the Universe based on silicon."

However after nearly 2000 years since the supposed Birth of Jesus, there is still no evidence that he even existed.. Therefore I feel quite comfortable in saying there is no god...

If the believers think otherwise, and want others to take them seriously, then they need to show some proof….

No-one can prove anything about Gods. Silly question.

You can prove a lot of things about light.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

You can prove a lot of things about light.

Strictly speaking not true. You can make hypotheses and put them on a more or less firm foundation. You can disprove many things about light, as it takes just one experiment which disagrees with your hypothesis. an experiment that agrees strengthens your "degree of belief" but that's it.

To put it simply: I need just one apple falling upwards to disprove the law of gravity, but no amount of falling apples can do more than strengthen the conjecture that a such law exists.

EDIT: Isn't it exactly the craving for final authoritative truth that religion satisfies?

More than one answer?

Yes.

Hey cool,

Finally a discussion here that has meaning.

Another question, do particles actually exist, or is what we percieve as solid matter just a manifestation of combined waveforms?
illegible usually

More than one answer?

I'm no physicist so correct me if I'm wrong. Light shows properties of each. We can't say for sure whether it is a wave or a particle. Just because we don't know doesn't mean that it's both. There's got to be an answer to the problem. We just don't know it yet. Maybe someday we will.

Who cares? Do you really want a bunch of religious types start talking about what "proof" means to them - it's subjective, circular logic that doesn't have basis. It's not supposed to.

The basis of 'faith' is belief without proof. With proof, the entire religious structure would be a moot point.

I'm not religious, but what kills me is people that disrepect those others that take strength from their faith. Why does it matter? It reads exactly like an unhealthy 'religion' in itself - except it's a position to stand against something rather than for something. It's unhealthy and a waste of energy.

I don't see militant Atheists as very pleasant people - they are exactly like very extreme religious types (I don't see them as any different).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

How do you figure that there's no evidence that Jesus existed?

Just because we don't know doesn't mean that it's both. There's got to be an answer to the problem. We just don't know it yet.

Maybe it's our definitions of waves and particles that are the problem -- maybe those definitions don't really reflect what the world is, but instead just what we understand of our world.

Just like our definition of God.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I'm no physicist so correct me if I'm wrong. Light shows properties of each. We can't say for sure whether it is a wave or a particle. Just because we don't know doesn't mean that it's both. There's got to be an answer to the problem. We just don't know it yet. Maybe someday we will.

I'm a physicist. There's no "answer" to the problem as you imagine answer to be.

My take on it is, that the concept of a "particle" simply is not well defined at that scale (if at all), but I'm a bit too tired right now to start arguing the finer points of quantum mechanics. It's 4.30 pm over here. End of the working day approaching. :)

Just because we don't know doesn't mean that it's both. There's got to be an answer to the problem. We just don't know it yet.

Maybe it's our definitions of waves and particles that are the problem -- maybe those definitions don't really reflect what the world is, but instead just what we understand of our world.

Just like our definition of God.

Wendy W.

I agree. Maybe so. But there's still got to be an answer. We just don't know it yet. Or maybe we don't have the capacity to know it. That doesn't mean that it does not exist.

Maybe the answer is the question. Would a loving God not give us the capacity to understand Him, and then demand that understanding?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)