rickjump1

Remember Jane Fonda

Jane Fonda Says North Vietnam Visit Was Betrayal

POSTED: 11:49 am PST March 31, 2005
UPDATED: 12:15 pm PST March 31, 2005

NEW YORK -- Actress Jane Fonda says she betrayed American troops in 1972, when she visited an anti-aircraft gun site in North Vietnam.

AP
Jane Fonda

Photos of a helmet-wearing Fonda sitting in a gun seat earned her the nickname "Hanoi Jane."

"The image of Jane Fonda, 'Barbarella,' Henry Fonda's daughter ... sitting on an enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal ... the largest lapse of judgment that I can even imagine," Fonda told Leslie Stahl in a "60 Minutes" interview for its next broadcast.

The actress said she does not regret meeting with American POW's while she was there, or making broadcasts on Radio Hanoi.

Fonda said she felt the U.S. government was lying to Americans about the Vietnam war, and she had to do something about the men dying there.

Her memoir, "Jane Fonda: My Life So Far," comes out next week.
[url]----------------------------------------------------------

Funny she doesn't mention the fact that having received a note from an American POW, she promptly handed it over to his captors who later severly beat him:(
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Funny she doesn't mention the fact that having received a note from an American POW, she promptly handed it over to his captors who later severly beat him

I am no friend of Hanoi Jane, but the "slips of paper" incident has been discredited by the POWs supposedly involved. Urban legend.

I was amazed how many people used to seem interested in her opinion. I am more amazed that she is worth interviewing on a "news" show. Jerry Springer maybe.

I am no friend of Hanoi Jane, but the "slips of paper" incident has been discredited by the POWs supposedly involved. Urban legend.

That's what I thought. Gee.....some people just have to expand on the truth.

Edit to add:

I thought I remember reading something that she admited what she did was a mistake. Good for her to admit that.

http://msnbc.msn.com/ID/7349099/
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I am no friend of Hanoi Jane, but the "slips of paper" incident has been discredited by the POWs supposedly involved. Urban legend.....

Hope you are correct. It has been mentioned so much, and it hurts to hear it. Time heals? In her case, it's gonna be hard.

Claim: Fonda betrayed POWs by turning over slips of paper they gave her to their captors. POWs were beaten and died as a result.

"It's a figment of somebody's imagination," says Ret. Col. Larry Carrigan, whom I reached by phone at his home in Arizona. Carrigan, who was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967, says he has no idea why this story was attributed to him. "I never met Jane Fonda," he told me. It goes without saying he never handed her a secret message.

He said he did see Jane Fonda once while he was a POW – on film. The occasion was a night when Carrigan and the other 80 or so men he was interned with were called out into the prison courtyard – "the first time we'd been outside under the stars in 5 or 6 years." As the men stood there wondering what was in store for them, a movie projector began whirring behind them. Their captors were showing them footage of Fonda's 1972 visit to Hanoi.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa110399b.htm
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

in 1967 I deployed to nam with 197 officers and men in my outfit
after 11 mts and 27 days there were 3 of us original folks remaining. and I had been wounded 3 differant times. with that in mind
this vet forgives hanoi jane

.april fools and she is a fool

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

Claim: Fonda betrayed POWs by turning over slips of paper they gave her to their captors. POWs were beaten and died as a result.

"It's a figment of somebody's imagination," says Ret. Col. Larry Carrigan, whom I reached by phone at his home in Arizona. Carrigan, who was shot down over North Vietnam in 1967, says he has no idea why this story was attributed to him. "I never met Jane Fonda," he told me. It goes without saying he never handed her a secret message.

He said he did see Jane Fonda once while he was a POW – on film. The occasion was a night when Carrigan and the other 80 or so men he was interned with were called out into the prison courtyard – "the first time we'd been outside under the stars in 5 or 6 years." As the men stood there wondering what was in store for them, a movie projector began whirring behind them. Their captors were showing them footage of Fonda's 1972 visit to Hanoi.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/weekly/aa110399b.htm

Thank you for unraveling that bit of misinformation. I was surprised that NBC ran the clip of her in the North Vietnamese gun pit last night; very emotional.

>I was amazed how many people used to seem interested in her opinion.

Uh, we elect actors and action heroes to be our leaders. Why wouldn't we be interested in what actors have to say? People (especially republicans) seem to worship them.

Uh, we elect actors and action heroes to be our leaders. Why wouldn't we be interested in what actors have to say? People (especially republicans) seem to worship them.

In other words, we elect someone who spends their whole life pretending to be someone they aren't.

>In other words, we elect someone who spends their whole life pretending to be someone they aren't.

And then we're suprised when they lie.

Pretending to be someone you're not does not necessarily make you an actor, and lying is easier than telling the truth for a number of poor souls. It's just too bad they get elected.

>I was amazed how many people used to seem interested in her opinion.

We elect people from all professions. I never criticized the election of actors. I said that I was amazed that people were interested in her opinion because it has no basis for value.

As far as Republicans worshipping actors, I can't think of a more unsupported generalization. Reagan and Arnold S. are two out of how many thousands of actors? Republicans and Hollywood seem to have a huge mutual distaste as seen in the last few elections.

Where on Earth did you get the idea that Republicans were so cozy with actors? All the actors that supported Kerry. Michael Moore. The list is endless.

I find Jane Fonda (not al actors) to be misinformed, uninformed, grossly naive, and gullible. She has shown that over and over. Plus, she tends to take a position in public, then do the opposite on film and in her personal life. Pretty much everything that I find objectionable in a person.

>In other words, we elect someone who spends their whole life pretending to be someone they aren't.

And then we're suprised when they lie.

Which makes them the perfect candidates to be in office, no?

I was based at Marble Mountain AAF when Jane Fonda was doing her photo shoot in the North. Altho I thought that it sucked having this extremely popular (then) actress dissing on us (soldiers) in the south, I agreed with her that we should not be there. Oh well, I learned to surf (sorta) when I was there ond now I live on Maui;)

I was based at Marble Mountain AAF when Jane Fonda was doing her photo shoot in the North. Altho I thought that it sucked having this extremely popular (then) actress dissing on us (soldiers) in the south, I agreed with her that we should not be there. Oh well, I learned to surf (sorta) when I was there ond now I live on Maui;)

Learning to serf in a combat zone? Not bad. When I was a patient at the 6th Convalescence Center, Cam Ranh Bay, the nurses were dating air force guys who would take them water skiing on the weekends.

she should have been tried for treason and shot.
Fast Eddie Grantland

Eddie, she won't be tried for treason. As for getting shot, I bet she is very careful where she shows her traitorous face. I'm on your side. I have only two words for her: very popular in the 60's.