jakee

First VC for 23 years

Read all about it. http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050318/325/fehb7.html

He was cited for "valour of the highest order" after he drove out of an ambush of rocket-propelled grenades and extracted his wounded colleagues from the vehicle while under fire in May 2004.

Six weeks later, his vehicle was again attacked by rockets. His commander and other troops were incapacitated and he was seriously wounded in the head, but he kept driving to safety until he lost consciousness, the Ministry of Defence said in a statement.

His citation reads: "For his repeated extreme gallantry and unquestioned valour, despite intense direct attacks, personal injury and damage to his vehicle in the face of relentless enemy action, Private Beharry deserves the highest possible recognition."

Beharry, who is still recovering from brain surgery for his injuries, said he did what any soldier would do.

"Maybe I was brave, I don't know. I think anyone else could do the same thing," he told reporters. "At the time I was just doing the job. I didn't have time for any other thoughts."

Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Yeah, I knew Herbert Jones won the VC posthumously, but I didn't realize he was the last.

Extraordinary.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

From clicky article.

"All Victoria Cross medals are struck of bronze from two cannons captured from Russia during the siege of Sevastopol 150 years ago."

;)

Chinese guns in fact

The metal is very hard to work and they ave enough for another 85 medals.

I was very suprised that he didnt get presented it by the Queen, what with it being the highest military decoration.

Jeremy Clarkeson (UK motoring journo) did a vey good programe on the VC, I am sure it will be repeated on UK tv soon enough.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Trivia.

I heard the VC was minted from the metal used to make the guns at Balaclava, Crimea, that the Light Brigade charged so famously.

Is this true?

Think they'll ever run out?

t

Very true, and running out of VC copper is an inevitability. However, the jewellers that make the VC say they have enough for the foreseeable future (barring the outbreak of another major conflict on the scale of the Second World War).

[EDIT - I see Buzz has beaten me to it, but no matter]