airtwardo

Death Penalty for Peterson

- A judge formally sentenced Scott Peterson to death Wednesday after family members got into a shouting match and Laci Peterson's mother sobbed as she called her son-in-law ''an evil murderer.''

Judge Alfred A. Delucchi allowed only Laci's family members to speak at the hearing after indicating he believed the death penalty was warranted.

Peterson's father yelled from the audience as Laci's brother, Brent Rocha, spoke to the court, saying ''Laci and Conner are the true victims here.''

''What a liar!'' Lee Peterson said before the judge admonished him and he stormed out of the courtroom. Jackie Peterson, Scott Peterson's mother, also interrupted Rocha but her voice was inaudible.

Scott Peterson, 32, was invited to make a statement. After several minutes of discussion with his attorneys, he declined.

Delucchi denied a defense request for a new trial before upholding the jury's recommendation that Peterson be sentenced to death.

''The court is satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant, Scott Lee Peterson, is guilty of first-degree murder'' and second degree, Delucchi said, adding that he found the killings ''were cruel, uncaring, heartless and callous.''

Peterson, shackled at the waist and wearing a dark suit, showed no emotion throughout the hearing.

Peterson will be sent to death row at San Quentin State Prison within 48 hours, said San Mateo County Sheriff's Lt. Lisa Williams. The infamous lockup overlooks the same bay where Laci Peterson's body was discarded.

Laci's mother, Sharon Rocha, sobbed and trembled from a podium as she lashed out at her former son-in-law. Scott Peterson stared back at her without emotion.

''You decided to throw Laci and Conner away, dispose of them like they were just a piece of garbage,'' she said. ''You were wrong; dead wrong.''

Dabbing at her eyes with tissues, she called him ''an evil murderer.''

''The fact that you no longer wanted Laci did not give you the right to murder her,'' Sharon Rocha said. ''She was my daughter ... I trusted you, and you betrayed me ... You betrayed everybody.''

Peterson was convicted in November of first-degree murder in the killing of Laci and second-degree murder for the slaying of her fetus. A jury recommended the death penalty a month later.

Rocha spoke to Scott Peterson directly.

''I would hope that you regret the choices that you made. Maybe you don't,'' Rocha said. ''Did you really hate Laci and Conner that much or did you just dislike yourself?''

Peterson's attorney, Mark Geragos, tried to get the judge to allow Peterson's parents, Jackie and Lee Peterson, to speak, on the basis that they were related to Conner.

But the judge said the hearing was an opportunity for Laci's relatives to speak only. He ordered Scott Peterson to pay $10,000 restitution for funeral expenses and an additional $5,000, though the reason for that amount was unexplained.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

while i didn't sit in on the trial, it seemd to me from reading about it (not 100% reliable) that there was almost no evidence against him. try comparing him to oj next time. then you're labelled a racist. i'm just glad i have that $30M for a lawyer stashed away from that bank job all those years ago.

i'm just glad i have that $30M for a lawyer stashed away from that bank job all those years ago.

Nothing like a little 'Rainy Day' fund for those
trials that always seem to pop up ~
"Just In Case".
;)

I for one am glad to see that this piece of shit is going to die.
Anyone know what form of execution it's going to be?

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

I do believe he is guilty as sin and the verdict was correct. What does bother me is that another death sentence is assigned on purely circumstantioal evidence, but I do believe he committed the crime as advertised.

With that, what makes you happy that he will/might die one day at the hand of the state? Do you think it will dissuade other would-be killers? Do you think we will all feel better? WHat impact does this activity have on the kids of our country? Don't you think they will understand that killing people is ok? Please don't tell me that they can all differentiate from the "bad guy" killing from the "good guys." All they see is killing in the paper and they take notice.

It's obvious that you feel vindication here. Do you think Peterson cares? Don't you think that CP is based upon vindication/retribution? Is this healthy for strangers to feel this? If it was my daughter, sure, but for strangers to feel this really reflects upon our country's culture.

Are you serious? Doesn't everyone know that Cali only has lethal injection? A couple other states still have other forms like hanging and firing squad last I checked.

Let me begin by saying this - The death penalty as it is used today is not a deterant for future criminals. (It's not used often enough).
Here's why I think he should die (I do think he's guilty). I am sick of dirt bag criminals getting to spend their lives in prison for murdering people. Why should this low life get to spend the rest of his life in a heated/air conditioned building, getting 3 meals a day, and healthcare? Why not give that privelage to the true homeless, who can't afford it. I would much rather see this waste of flesh dead.
And as far as being serious to which method of execution it is? Yes I was serious. Didn't realize Cali was a Lethal Injection state. Was hoping they still had Ol' Sparky to use.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

Let me begin by saying this - The death penalty as it is used today is not a deterant for future criminals. (It's not used often enough).
Here's why I think he should die (I do think he's guilty). I am sick of dirt bag criminals getting to spend their lives in prison for murdering people. Why should this low life get to spend the rest of his life in a heated/air conditioned building, getting 3 meals a day, and healthcare? Why not give that privelage to the true homeless, who can't afford it. I would much rather see this waste of flesh dead.
And as far as being serious to which method of execution it is? Yes I was serious. Didn't realize Cali was a Lethal Injection state. Was hoping they still had Ol' Sparky to use.

Let me begin by saying this - The death penalty as it is used today is not a deterant for future criminals.

You are correct, although I don't think the deterrence argument was ever valid; capital punishment has always been about vindication/revenge. The deterent argument was only used when we realized we were killing some innocent people, it was used to stir the pot, you know, waive around a picture of some 6 year old girl that was savagely murdered - keeps the fires hot for whom ever the system deems worthy.

(It's not used often enough).

How do you feel when it's used to kill innocent people? Oftne enough then?

Here's why I think he should die (I do think he's guilty). I am sick of dirt bag criminals getting to spend their lives in prison for murdering people.

Getting to? Like it's a priveledge.... The issue here is not to protect the guilty, but to protect the innocent that are wrongly accused/convicted.

I am sick of dirt bag criminals getting to spend their lives in prison for murdering people. Why should this low life get to spend the rest of his life in a heated/air conditioned building, getting 3 meals a day, and healthcare?

With that reasoning wouldn't we be executing for all felonies? I don't think it's a field trip for people living in 6 x9 cells.... let's be real.

Why not give that privelage to the true homeless, who can't afford it. I would much rather see this waste of flesh dead.

You don't really mean that. See, if the system executed all "bad" people as you wish and then gave the savings to the homeless, you would be angry that lazy people get handouts. I realize you were just being semantic with that statement.

Was hoping they still had Ol' Sparky to use.

Dead is dead - does it make you feel better to see him in more pain? Hmmmm, I wonder if Gacey, Bundy and the likes had the ame philosophy about people and pain?

I never said all felons. Just the dirt-bag, useless, murdering ones. And I never said that living in a 6x9 cell was a field trip. Let's be real- living in a 6x9 cell is better than having your life taken from you (which is exactly what this piece of shit did to his wife and kid). And he won't be spending his whole day in that 6x9 cell. He's not in solitary (that's a whole nother issue). But he does get 3 nice cooked meals a day. (I don't even get that :S)
And you are absolutley right- innocent people are executed (the system isn't perfect) and that is absolutley tragic, but when they're guilty- let them die!

If it's California, I think they prefer the "let him sit on death row until he dies of natural causes" method of execution.

:S

ROFLMAO That was trully brilliant! :D

Let me begin by saying this - The death penalty as it is used today is not a deterant for future criminals.

Maybe not...but it's definitely a deterrent
against a possible repeat offender.

Some crimes deserve nothing less...kill a cop or
a kid you die...

Circumstantial?

Don't ever get yourself in circumstances that
you can so readily be found guilty beyond reasonable doubt.

What about vindication/revenge for the
surviving family is bad?!
An EYE for an EYE...

It called thining the heard...and it's not done enough.

It DOES work...criminals nationwide have gotten the message that if you kill someone here in Texas...

We'll kill you back!

a kid you die...

Circumstantial?

An EYE for an EYE...

It DOES work...criminals nationwide have gotten the message that if you kill someone here in Texas...

We'll kill you back!

That's one of the first falacies that gets debunked in Justice Stiudies; deterrence must be accompanied with choice - those on death row are virtually w/o choice. It sounds cute to say that the DP has a specific (as opposed to general) deterent value, but with no choice the element of deterrence is moot.

a kid you die...

Which are 2 of the 10 aggravating factors Arizona employs when determining which cases to bring forward for death qualification.

Circumstantial?

So for Ray Crone of Arizona that was playing darts inthe local bar. So I guess we are relegated to living alone and knowing no one so we can't be accused. Oh wait, then we have no legitimate alibi if wrongly accused. Ray Crone was heavily for CP until he spent 2 years on death row and 8 more in GP for a murder he didn't commit. 300k later of his families money he was finally exonerated by a judge, not a wonderful sampling of our peers that love to fry em now, ask questions later.

An EYE for an EYE...

Old Testament retribution..... a wonderful thing to teach our kids.... hmmmm, where oh where do they get these wild ideas of killing people? Must be that rock-n-roll music that brainwashes them, not the evening news that details how the establishment kills em all the time. Degradation of society; where dothey get those ideas?

So you want to kill peole to dissuade others to kill? Now, add the element of killing some innocent people to attempt to thwart the killing of innocent people..... hmmmm. Aweful, rotten, horrible counties like Russia have abandoned the practice as they know they were killing innocents. Fortunatley we are more humane than them, right?

We'll kill you back!

The murder rate was on the rise as of last I checked, and Bush killed all kinds of folks. How is the murder rate there? I bet it's at least leveled off if not onthe rise, which debunks your theory.

So if your framed then do they murder you w/o it being called, "murdering you back?"

So do murderers kidnap people from there and go to Wisconsin to kill so they won't be executed? You act as if there is some kind of rational thought process involved in 1st degree murderers.

I agree that Scott should forfeit his life for this atrocity. But, I feel that the death penalty would be a much more effective deterrent if it were conducted in public or even broadcast on network TV.

That is what Saddam Hussein used to do. I guess he wasn´t that bad, eh?

Good Ole Saddam...heh, heh. He never grasped the concept, that execution and murder are two different things. Slaughter for sport is NOT what I'm talking about. Punishment for crimes committed was public in this country too (USA) during the last century.[:/]