peek

Ripstop tape for zero porosity fabric?

I haven't been asked to take care of a small hole in a main canopy for a while. I just tried using some ripstop tape that I have had around for a while on a very small hole (3/16 inch), but it wouldn't stick worth a darn.

Is there a more advanced ripstop tape available now that can be used for zero porosity fabric? My tape is a few years old but it sticks fine to non-zero porosity fabric.

riggerrob

A master rigger like you should be able to sew a row of stitching around the edge of sticky rip-stop patches.
....... at least that is the way I patch holes in tandem drogues.

Why, yes I can, but jeez, some holes are just so small that I'm not sure it is worth parting the threads in the weave with a needle to fix it.

What amazes me is just how poorly ripstop tape sticks to zero porosity fabric. Duct tape would stick better! (Do not take this seriously.)

I'm not sure it is worth parting the threads in the weave with a needle to fix it.

Thread parted in the weave is of no consequence at all. PD has determined that with their Optimum reserve fabric.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I'm not sure it is worth parting the threads in the weave with a needle to fix it.

Thread parted in the weave is of no consequence at all. PD has determined that with their Optimum reserve fabric.

Sorry, that was kind of a euphemism.

peek

Sorry, that was kind of a euphemism.

I know, I just couldn't resist. I've found that some ripstop sticks to some ZP, but not always. It seems to work better on older more well used ZP.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

I have some ripstop that works really well on zp.... I have 2 quarter sized patches on a pilot chute that show no peeling after another 200 jumps on it... that pc has long since been replaced, but ive used it on rds burns and similar 2 square or less snags... no idea where i got it from since its 3 years old at this point, but just had a friend buy ripstop tape that doesnt stick for shit... Now the only difference that i noticed, is that the stuff that doesnt stick seems to be a 38 weight sail and the stuff that i have is thinner, consistent with zp. The new stuff sticks like crazy to sail fabric but is shit on zp... first id seen of that, and then saw this, and figured id weigh in... try different brands....? I've still got plenty of it and could mail you a strip of it if you want...
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Alexg3265

I have some ripstop that works really well on zp.... I have 2 quarter sized patches on a pilot chute that show no peeling after another 200 jumps on it... that pc has long since been replaced, but ive used it on rds burns and similar 2 square or less snags... no idea where i got it from since its 3 years old at this point, but just had a friend buy ripstop tape that doesnt stick for shit... Now the only difference that i noticed, is that the stuff that doesnt stick seems to be a 38 weight sail and the stuff that i have is thinner, consistent with zp. The new stuff sticks like crazy to sail fabric but is shit on zp... first id seen of that, and then saw this, and figured id weigh in... try different brands....? I've still got plenty of it and could mail you a strip of it if you want...

Thank you very much. Just a source for this would be good, because I know that others would be interested if I bought some.