dorbie

FEMA's Happy Fun Tsunami Game

Let's just hope that was created before 225,000 died two weeks ago. Even so, it's in poor taste, but eh . . .

Firefox shows me that the page was last modified on: Friday, October 22, 2004 5:11:00 PM

Why is it in poor taste?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Firefox shows me that the page was last modified on: Friday, October 22, 2004 5:11:00 PM

Why is it in poor taste?

I see it as trying to teach kids what a Tsunami can do (without freaking the little kiddos out with all the death and bodies) and show the kids what FEMA does in response to natural disasters...that's just me.

If I was directly involved with the accident in some form I *might* find it offensive, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No need to worry about it anymore. They pulled it.

FEMA Pulls Tsunami Game From Web Site

FEMA Pulls Tsunami Game From Web Site

Fri Jan 21, 3:26 PM ET

By LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - An online game to educate kids about tsunamis was pulled Friday from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (news - web sites)'s Web site amid worries it trivialized last month's devastation in southeast Asia and beyond.

The game, which debuted on FEMA's kids' Web site in 1998, asked players to guide a car, a starfish, a surfboard and other beach objects back to their proper places after they were scattered by a tsunami. Winners were linked to a cartoon dancing frog.

"A tsunami has just hit FEMA Beach and has rearranged a few things," the game directed. "Please put the 9 objects back where they belong to see the cyber-prize!"

FEMA spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride said the game was first scrubbed from the award-winning kids' site immediately after the Dec. 26 tsunami. But the agency later restored it after hearing complaints from teachers and educators who missed it, she said. It was being removed for good Friday because of "the current environment," she said.

"We thought that was the appropriate thing to do," McBride said.

The tsunami cause an estimated 158,000 or more deaths in 11 nations along the coasts of southeast Asia and western Africa, and left as many as one million survivors needing food and shelter.

Educators who still want access to the game and other kid-friendly disaster education materials can contact FEMA, McBride said.

A spokesman for GiveWorld, a California-based online charitable organization, said the game's motive appears innocent but risks trivializing the recent devastation. GiveWorld says it has helped raise $500,000 for the tsunami victims.

The game "makes it look like after, life can be just be pulled back together," said Upendra Bhatt, a member of GiveWorld's board of directors. "And it's not going to be that easy."

I'm not sure I agree with this. The game is just a kids game and was there well before the tsunami hit. I played it and didn't think it was offensive. It smells like a case of being too politically correct.:S

--Art
Sky-div'ing (ski'div'ing) n. A modern sport that involves parties, bragging, sexual excesses, the imbibing of large quantities of beer, and, on rare occasions, parachuting from aircraft.

It smells like a case of being too politically correct.Crazy

We live in an age where we're expected to bend over backwards to make sure that we offend absolutely nobody. Are you surprised?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.