Unstable

Boy Scouts of America and Religous Discrimination

I'll admit, its refreshing to see how many people on here are Eagle Scouts (1996). :)
I was a member of a unit that was sponsored by the Knights of Columbus. Very Catholic group. 80% of the scouts were Catholic and 100% of the leaders were. I was in the 20% that was a Prodistant or something else. Having to schedule events around CCD and mass was a new concept for me. Religious tensions were at a minimum with the largest arguement being was who could come up with the fastest prayer before a meal.

Fast forward to be being in college and volenteering as an assistant SM in a neighborhood that was a little rough and very ethnically diverse. I'd changed my beliefs to more Unitarianist or Athiest depending on how I felt that day. :ph34r: Even though the meetings were in a local church I counted at least 5 different religions being represented and I never saw SM's walking on egg shells on the whole topic of religion like I did in this unit. The unit provided more of a service to the boys by avoiding religion then it ever could have by making them read scripture or something all the time.

You have a choice as an organization to accept money, but by accepting it you know there are usually strings attached. Scouting lost a LOT of money from the United Way after they won the case to exclude gays. A lot of UW donors did not want their money going to an organization that openly excluded gays or athiests. If you want to limit who is in your organization, then you also have to realize you are limiting your potential income sources.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

the ACLU will assist anyone whose civil rights are being trampled on. They don't care if you're christian or not, white or not, or whatever. It's just more often that non-christian minorities get their rights stepped on, so that's what more ACLU cases are about.

They're great about 26 of the 27 Amendments. And they're not afraid to take an unpopular stance.

"Scouting helped shape me into the person I am today more then anything else. For that I will forever be in debt to the Scouting movement and will continue to support them."

I couldn't hav eput it better myself Phree. Likewise, in addition to shaping me, it has also given me a some valuable lifetime friendships, many of my current friends are people I met through Scouting, and I'm getting on a bit now:$;).

It appears the BSA are organised and operated slightly differently over there. I think the sectarian nature over there may preclude some kids from gaining the benefits we have both enjoyed, and thats sad. [:/]

Like I said, I'm pretty sure this is not what Baden Powell intended when he wrote Scouting for Boys.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson