Airman1270

Sort of a "God" poll...

I'd be sad, because it would be the start of the largest religious war (and the largest war, period) the planet has ever seen. It would be like the Crusades, but with nuclear and satellite weapons.

And don't forget the giant locusts that would be flying around, snatching up and torturing anyone who doesn't have the seal of God on their forehead.

>And don't forget the giant locusts that would be flying around, snatching
> up and torturing anyone who doesn't have the seal of God on their
> forehead.

I think I saw that movie!

BTW the Today Show did a very funny short on Armageddon:

"You know, it would be really cool to be in Armageddon. I mean, sure, you're gonna die and all, but think about it - things blowing up! Everything burning! Roseanne Barr going up in flames! That would be really cool.

"And then you'd go to heaven cause, see, you were in Armageddon, and that's like a holy way to get killed. And you'd meet all these guys there, and you'd be like 'hey, how'd you die', and they'd say 'oh, I got run over by an ice cream truck' or 'colon cancer' or 'got eaten by fire ants' and you could say 'not me, man, I was in the fuckin Armageddon! Things blowin up, Roseanne Barr burnin up like a big ol tiki torch!"

"And then you'd go to heaven cause, see, you were in Armageddon, and that's like a holy way to get killed. And you'd meet all these guys there, and you'd be like 'hey, how'd you die', and they'd say 'oh, I got run over by an ice cream truck' or 'colon cancer' or 'got eaten by fire ants' and you could say 'not me, man, I was in the fuckin Armageddon! Things blowin up, Roseanne Barr burnin up like a big ol tiki torch!"

:D:D:D That's funny.

And it would be a pretty cool way to go. >:( (Hmm, careful what I wish for???)

Hey guys!

Regardless of the topic, it seems the subject of religion frequently pops up here, with Christianity taking the lion's share of hysterical criticism.

I have a question, but I want to be very specific. I'm not looking to get into a typical discussion of whether God exists, or what bad church experiences someone may have had in their childhood, etc. The question is:

IF God is real;
IF the Bible is true;
IF Jesus is who He claimed to be; and, most importantly...
IF it was possible to prove this beyond all doubt...

Would you receive this as good news, or would you be disappointed?

Please resist the temptation to answer a question that wasn't asked.

Answer: Neither of the two options.

If #1 - Which god? Deities are legion, and equally "real."

If #2 - "The Bible" is a group of tracts assembled from various disparate sources by committee, and translated and edited by other committees.

The popularly available versions have clearly demonstrable errors, as well as verifiable fact. So it is "true" about as much as it is "false." Whatever.

If #3 - What Jesus claimed or did not claim is one thing, what is attributed to him is something else altogether. Every word he said could have been correct, but what is attributed to him is oftentimes clearly false (new wine in old bottles, bricks without straw, etc.).

If #4 - It is not possible to prove anything beyond all doubt. "Faith" is by its very nature a disease of denial. No amount of "proof" can override so fundamental an emotional failing. Sanity is lost on the mentally ill.

Thus, the answer to the question is, again, E - none of the above.

Blue skies,

Winsor

How about this:

IF God is not real;
IF the Bible is not true;
IF Jesus is not who he claimed to be; and, most importantly...

Would you be happy or disappointed?

Neither. It wouldn't change my outlook on life at all.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

IF God is real;
IF the Bible is true;
IF Jesus is who He claimed to be; and, most importantly...

Disappointed. I would be compelled to stop doing things I do enjoy and start doing things I don't enjoy, the meaning of life question would be answered anti-climactically, and I'm not real enthused about spending eternity anywhere, much less in the company of either heaven or hell's caretakers.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

having something definite would be nice. It would shut up all the groups that say "I'm right and you're wrong and you're all going to hell/valhalla/the underworld/etc" because then we would know who is right.

Y'know what, I really don't think it would. People are remarkably good at ignoring definite proof of things we don't want to believe, take those that think the earth is flat for example.

Or those that don't believe in evolution:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

They're afraid to answer this hypothetical question directly even when faith is taken out of the equation.

it isnt a question, its a series of hypotheticals that create a loaded proposition a logical blind alley..... for all of those things to be true a number of things we can PROVE to be false would also have to be true...

to answer your 'question' in the only manner it can be addressed...

neither, i'd start looking for the cartoonist....

I would think that knowing what’s going to happen to you when you die would be something everyone would want to know.

actually one of the things you learn very quickly (if you pay attention to details, divinity is in the details) is that KNOWING what is going to happen removes all the real joy in the experience of it.....

If all this was real I would be very happy!! Absolutely no responsibility for my own actions. The devil made me do it! :)

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

...Where the heck is Airman1270?...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Georgia.

On Friday I had to cover for two other guys as well as do my own show, etc. On the air for more than five hours, didn't have much time to cruise DZ.com.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Cheers,
Jon

well - it'd give one bit of information and open up a
heck lot more questions, like

what is god, what is he/she/it made of?, how does
he/she/it fit into what we know about science, who
created god or is god himself/herself/itself a
product of some process of evolution, where is god,
why is there only one - any history of a struggle for
monopoly against other deity, does free will exist
or are we puppets in a deterministic scheme or are
we the subjects of some sort-of "free will" experiment
to amuse this god, .... etc.

IMO, religion doesn't answer anything - it just shifts
one thing we don't understand to another thing we
don't understand - but this we are not allowed to ask
questions about because it'd be blasphemie. So the
discussion is finished.

Not very satisfactory for the curious mind.

Cheers, Thomas
Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true

Well, this has kind of been said before but since the thread is back up heres my 0.02.

If everything in the bible was true we would be living in a different world. Quite simply the Earth would just work differently than it does and the whole of human history would be unrecognisable.

That said it would be cool that there would be an afterlife, but I get the feeling that most people (and me) would end up on the wrong side of it.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?