ChasingBlueSky

Iraq Vet speaks for Kerry

I'm for Kerry but not against Bush

By SCOTT LEWIS
For the Monitor

I am not against the war in Iraq, in which I proudly served, but I do believe we need a new approach.

J Brandon Giuda is correct in much of what he wrote in his Sept. 16 letter to the Monitor. I was displeased with the headline in the Sept. 14 paper "Local Iraq veteran speaks out against Bush." It was misleading and not representative of my intent.

And when the Monitor stated that I had spent my afternoon explaining how Bush botched the war, that was more sensationalism than fact. I am not an expert on foreign policy or war strategy. However, for almost 16 months, I participated in a war whose enemy has changed tactics so frequently that it was difficult to defend ourselves.

I am not against the war in Iraq, and my heart is with the troops who are fighting there now. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for President Bush. His tenacity and decisiveness are to be praised.

Conversely, his tenacity and decisiveness have caused the situation in Iraq to grow to an unbelievable magnitude. General Shinseki advised before the war began that it would take 200,000 to 250,000 troops to do it correctly. He was replaced.

Almost a year and a half later, Donald Rumsfeld stated that no one anticipated the uprising violence that is occurring in Iraq now. And it will increase through the new year.

President Bush's grounds for the war with Iraq were weapons of mass destruction and Saddam's link to the 9/11 attacks. No weapons of mass destruction have been found in two years. To date, there is no evidence that Saddam had any responsibility for 9/11. Yet bin Laden is still a free man, and Iran and North Korea are further ahead in the nuclear arena than Saddam ever thought of being.

In response to my own questions regarding soldiers dying in "tents" or while transporting supplies: The point of my statement is the 1,000-plus American deaths are not necessarily the result of actively hunting terrorists, as Rumsfeld's acknowledgement of those deaths would suggest.

Rumsfeld painted a picture that the deaths we have experienced occurred in direct combat. Until recently, that is not how the anti-coalition forces have fought. They have chosen soft targets who are unsuspecting or poorly equipped to defend themselves.

A Chinook helicopter carrying troops to Baghdad to go home on R&R leave was shot down over Falluja. Sixteen soldiers perished. Medivac trucks clearly displaying the red cross have been ambushed

in Ramadi. Supply trucks have been attacked because they are difficult to maneuver and have little or no armor and insufficient weapons.

Mortar tubes are mounted in the beds of pickup trucks to make for a faster getaway after firing at bases. RPGs were fired from holy mosques because the enemy knew we had orders not to engage mosques.

I could go on. All these events can be expected in war from an enemy who knows no boundaries.

That does not change the fact that because we could not wait to build more evidence against Saddam, as our allied countries asked, we went in virtually alone, undermanned and poorly equipped. And the troop rotations to Iraq have strained our military to the point that defending ourselves on another front would be difficult at best.

These are just facts that have contributed to the opinion of an Army Reserve sergeant. I mean no disrespect for President Bush. I believe his actions were partially the result of the information he had at the time.

My intent has only been to show my support for John Kerry because I believe we need a new approach toward Iraq and a definitive mission so we can get our troops home and Iraq back to her people.

I have spoken with many soldiers in Iraq who do support the president. And that is great. We each form opinions based on our perception and experience. And a veteran's choice to speak is a difficult one with possible consequences.

But I do strongly believe we need a new direction, and John Kerry is our best choice.

------ End of article

By SCOTT LEWIS

fortuantely he's not the only one, or even the only service member.. a great many people (and many are soldiers and vets of more conflicts than this) strongly disagree with the current administration's approach..

I for one certainly wish we had a better replacement for Bush than Kerry, but our political system is so completely screwed that isnt the case..

Must be how Florida plans to give Bush the election

Florida plans on giving the election to the guy that gets the most votes...Just like it did in 2000.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Oh god, thanks for the laugh. That was a good joke.

As is how you guys never will admit that Gore lost fair and square.

You keep me in stitches;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Funny, the last time I was in Florida I was reading how there were still lawsuits about the 2000 election and how they had verfied proof that Gore won that state. Just going off of what was in the paper down there.

And btw, fair and square would have meant zero doubt or questions or lawsuits. There is a good chance many unethical things happened in that election...therefore it wasn't fair.

Funny, the last time I was in Florida I was reading how there were still lawsuits about the 2000 election and how they had verfied proof that Gore won that state. Just going off of what was in the paper down there.

One paper....Several papers have done election 2000 coverage and said Bush won. The Judges said Bush won. It has been looked at so many times...And I have yet to see ONE recap say other than Bush won and Gore lost.

If you have PROOF otherwise I would be glad to see it....Not that it matters.

And btw, fair and square would have meant zero doubt or questions or lawsuits

Not true. Someone is always gonna bitch.

There is a good chance many unethical things happened in that election...therefore it wasn't fair.

Unless you can PROVE something happend that was unethical you have nothing.

Apperance does not make it unfair. People bitching does not make it unfair.

Only FACTS. Facts that your side has been unable to provide time after time.

I find it funny that you guys are still bitching about it without any proof. Keep me laughing.

USA Republicans Criticize Bush's Iraq Policies
VOA News
19 Sep 2004, 20:11 UTC

Senators from President Bush's own Republican Party are urging him to rethink some of his policies on Iraq.
The call for change came on the U.S. Sunday morning talk shows. Senator Chuck Hagel of Nebraska suggested the United States faces a losing situation in Iraq unless it rethinks some of its strategy.

Senator John McCain of Arizona said the U.S. military should launch a ground offensive to take areas dominated by anti-US insurgents.

And Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana accused the Bush administration of "incompetence" for failing to spend most of the $18 billion Congress set aside for Iraqi reconstruction.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.