xlh883

Got an idea from tv, need advice to execute

We used to do a lot of hoop jumps at the old Spaceland (the first NSCSA was there). We used a weighted hoop because it was sturdier and easier to control, but it is less forgiving of the jumper who goes through it too low.

It's actually a serious exercise in control; when you mess up, you mess it up for everyone. But it's also way fun. I wouldn't suggest going for a full-up SCSA with a bunch of junior zoomies; 3-4 flying through the hoop and making a star on the other side.

Wendy W.
SCSA 136
NSCSA 26
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Thanks for posting this. It looks like a lot of fun. I might give a try at getting some folks to try it this weekend. I don't know if I am good enough to be that accurate, but I wanna try. Will be fun regardless. Time to have fun at this skydiving stuff, no more deep instruction. Woohoo!

David

Here is a good video from the hoop dive we did last year at the West Point Halloween boogie. They're a lot of fun!

http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=2909&string=hoop

It looks like everyone is trying to stay on level with the hoop while going through it. The secret is to aim for a point about 6 to 8 feet below the hoop and about 6 to 8 feet past it.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Got hooped yet?? Don't forget you have to carry the hoop outta the plane without dropping it too. I'd hate to be emptyhanded in front of 9 skydivers who think I owe them a jump ticket, all the while wondering where a safe spot to pull is.

Looks cool on a patch too (pic)...