Botellines

Make up your mind, you WAR MONGER!!!

There's obviously a fuzzy line here. If you find yourself firing off a one line reply that includes only allegations of illiteracy or mental deficiency, you've probably gone too far.

Anvil's statement was not an "allegation of illiteracy". You should read it again. Your decision to ban Anvil was arbitrary and obtuse.

By the way...

Personal attacks on another user are a great way to earn some time off, as is posting inflammatory material specifically to provoke a negative response from someone (aka trolling).

Sangiro's selected definition of trolling: "A post (on a newsgroup, or other forum) thought to be intended to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense."

This post was an attack that could easily be taken personally and it's specific purpose was to incite controversy and cause offense: it was a troll. If you want to enforce the rules, you should probably acquaint yourself with them.

FallRate

The point of this thread is not to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense. I wanted war supporters to support their claim that this war was necesary comparing it with other scenarios where if we aply the same logic we should go to war as well.

Just for the record:
War´mon`ger
Noun 1. warmonger - a person who advocates war or warlike policies
militarist
adult, grownup - a fully developed person from maturity onward
war hawk, hawk - an advocate of an aggressive policy on foreign relations

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/warmonger
So any of you, sensitive people, who where offended by the word Warmonger is not a person who advocates war, fully developed from maturity onward and advocate an aggressive policy on foreign relations?

I think that you are just changing the subject because you can not defende your position.

Edited for spelling

This:

The point of this thread is not to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense.

and this antagonistic statement:

Make up your mind, you WAR MONGER!!!

are in direct conflict.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

So if i change the title of this thread to: "Make up your mind, you MILITARIST" would it make a diference? However they mean the same.
Don´t you honestly think that people is being overly sensitive?
So war supporters are more than willing to go to fight in a desert in the worst conditions but they get offended if i call them war mongers.
Better not let AQ read this thread, otherwise they will insult and hurt your feelings to death. :P

I think it is time someone just takes the shoe of their mouth

I think you may have forgotten the word "out" :D:D:D

JAJAJAJAJA. Jaunesky, my friend, if you need help with your English, just let me know. Or spanish for that matter. :P

Note to myself: Now be very careful with your english because everybody will be watching... :)

I think that your statements are in conflict. I did not place my personal views of US military actions anywhere in said statement.

You posted to incite a reaction from those you do not agree with. When someone pointed out the fact your post was to try to elicit that exact response you backpeddled and tried to claim it wasn't your intention. Poppycock. Just roll with it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Ok, seems that you are missing the connotation of your own title. When you use captioned words means Screaming, yelling.

"you WAR MONGER!!!" Implies that you are pretty much upset and somehow pretended to insult people who are backing up the war effort.

It is not the words in itself but the manner which you have address them.

PS, we are actually doing something about AQ and all those nice people who try to kill us, not running away and going home with the tail between our legs like others.;)
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I don’t see what the problem is about.

You sad it more then once. If you support the War what is your reason?

I don’t think it is a hard question unless you don’t have a good answer.

I don’t support the War. I think we were mislead.

Edit: I don't see why people or not focusing on the Poll. He said warmonger he didn't say who cares. The reasons that we went to war are given.
Why do YOU (not you botellines) Support the war?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Good catch:P. However omiting one word is not the same as to the bad taste solicitation of an honest answer in a rather innapropiate manner (TROLL) and then backpedaling or trying to hide it, very poorly indeed.[:/]
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Hey Tunaplanet, so far only Bush´s Ego got any votes. Did you also vote for that one? You are going to be kicked out of the republican files :P

You "poll" is full of shit. You think you've proved something because of the fact that "Bush's ego" got a bunch of votes?

You telling us you honestly believe those votes haven't come from ANTI-Bush forumites, when clearly you asked the CONSERVATIVES here to vote? Do you honestly think that those conservatives here who are supporting the war are doing so because they simply want to bolster Bush's ego?

Your poll is a crock of shit troll, for the simple reason that it was never meant in good faith. And it's obviously been tainted by people who are anti-Bush hitting the "Bush's ego" button.

Nice try. Not!

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Hey Tunaplanet, so far only Bush´s Ego got any votes. Did you also vote for that one? You are going to be kicked out of the republican files :P

Actually, I voted for Bush's Ego, because I thought it was the funniest choice.

I mean, come on, the initial post was so obviously skewed, how could you react seriously?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

European pseudo-intelligensia are entertaining to listen to...

Kinda like handing a philosophy book to Rain Man and asking for a summary...

WTF are you talking about? Is this some sort of "clever" personal attack?

Dude, you should chill about that. Everyone here knows that your poll was itself a NOT so clever backhanded personal attack at anyone who supports Bush. YOUR implication was akin to the "anyone who supports X is an idiot" without calling any one person an idiot. So I think you should just recuse yourself from this one. Your antics with posting this poll are essentially why a good guy is banned right now.

-
-Jeffrey

By reading other threads i have come to realize that not even war supporters come to an agreement about why they went to war.

There must only be one reason? If we're going to war, seems to me there better be a lot of good reasons. ...and there are.

Exactly. Some variegated groups can get behind the same action even though they support it for different reasons. This is why both "moderate" gun control supporters line up alongside extremist gun BAN supporters to push things like the "assault weapons ban" or one-gun-a-month. Each group wants varying degrees of gun control, but they all push the same legislation. It's just that one would (possibly) be willing to stop sooner than the other.

The same can be said of those who support the war in Iraq. Maybe some of them just want Iraqis to live free as we do. Maybe some want the oil. Maybe some want to protect us from those who are building strength to attack us. Maybe even some just hate them on a racist level. Some will have noble goals and interests, some ignoble. But they're all cheering the same action, just for different reasons.

-
-Jeffrey

European pseudo-intelligensia are entertaining to listen to...

Kinda like handing a philosophy book to Rain Man and asking for a summary...

WTF are you talking about? Is this some sort of "clever" personal attack?

Dude, you should chill about that.

Wow. I never thought I'd agree with PJ about a moderating issue. But, what he said.

Your antics with posting this poll are essentially why a good guy is banned right now.

Not really. _I_ am why that happened. No use blaming anyone else.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The point of this thread is not to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense.

I call bullshit.

From the subject header on down, your post was a troll.

The only thing is, now you're trying to bullshit us into believing you didn't mean it -- not even having the courage to back up what you did.

-
-Jeffrey

So if i change the title of this thread to: "Make up your mind, you MILITARIST" would it make a diference? However they mean the same.

There is a subtle difference between saying something like, "Militarists, make up your mind," and "Make up your mind, you Militarists."

When you tack "you" onto something, it becomes a "name" in the sense of "name calling." That can easily make "war monger" or even "militarist" able to be construed as meant to be an unflattering epithet.

So absolutely, I think you were name-calling with the header of the thread.

-
-Jeffrey

I think you were name-calling with the header of the thread

Whether or not he intended it to sound like name calling, using a loaded term like warmonger, and the placement of the words, definitely made it sound like it.

I'm not sure that was intended -- his native language isn't English, and connotations due to word placement are very idiomatic. But it does come off that way.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)