TheAnvil

A column for all you Mike Moore fans...

This is from your article.
“Therefore, guns cause crime and, of course, more gun control is necessary.”

You might recall that he even mentioned that the number of guns is not the problem. He pointed out Canada that has more guns per people then the USA and has a lot less crime.

From the beginning this article is BS. I ask again FACTS please.

“Saudi Arabia has less crime than the United States.
Saudi Arabia uses harsher punishment than the Unites States (including public executions and amputation of hands for thieves).
Therefore, we should have public executions and amputate the hands of thieves in the United States. (I won’t even mention the penalty for adultery. Talk about a harsh penal system!).”

This so stupid I don’t even have any thing to say too it.

For once someone point to something Michael Moor said and have proof that it is a lie. It just makes him more credible when I read articles like this. No matter how hard they try they can’t come up with any thing but BS.

I stopped reading after this just a really stupid article.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Because you read it incorrectly, seeing only what you wished. This time - reread it and have the courage not to deliberately present anything out of context.

Since you asked for what makes Moore a liar, let's take Bowling for Columbine.

- my friend's wife works in the bank where Moore says you can get a gun just by opening a savings account. Moore is a liar.
- Moore states that Lockheed plant ships out 'weapons of war' at night from its manufacturing plant. Sorry Mr. Moore, you're lying again there. Weapons of war are not manufactured at that plant.

There are several others, but those will do for now.
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

He has not read it all wrong. One of the key points that article makes is that Moore claims more guns = more crime. That is not the conclusion of Bowling for Columbine, as the previous poster indicated, Moore points out that there are more guns in Canada.

my friend's wife works in the bank where Moore says you can get a gun just by opening a savings account. Moore is a liar.

LOL do a search you can find the adds and they have been posted on these forums before also.
Other then what you FRIENDS wife said any proof???????????????????????????????????

It just so funny to me that Michael Moor always has hard facts and the people who are calling him a liar expect us go by what there friends wife says. LOL sorry this is just too funny.

Here is the article from the begging to where I felt my IQ was dropping too much.

Last semester, one of my students told me that he was down on America. In fact, he said that he was ashamed to be an American. He didn’t keep me guessing as to the reason for his shame and depression. He immediately disclosed that he had seen “Bowling for Columbine,” on one of the two occasions the Women’s Center sponsored its showing last year.
It is bad enough that the Women’s Center uses its budget as an excuse to campaign against conservative public policies, even when the policies have little to do with the women’s movement. But in the case of promoting Michael Moore, it is worse because the information Moore proffers is usually irrelevant and often completely inaccurate.
The thesis of “Bowling for Columbine” is sometimes difficult to ascertain because Moore frequently contradicts himself in the movie. Nonetheless, I think that he is trying, above all else, to assert the following:
The United States has more crime than other countries (like Canada).
The United States has more guns than other countries (like Canada).
Therefore, guns cause crime and, of course, more gun control is necessary.

Again He pointed out that Canadians also have lots of guns but less crime. So do you think by pointing out that Canada has more guns per individual and a lot less crime helps gun control? He literally says the guns are not the problem.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

You know, you're not really going to get an unbiased review of a Moore film from a private conservative web site are you ?

Attacks on Moore's veracity have largely failed, mainly becuase he's bright enough to employ independent fact checkers and attorneys to review his claims. You should probably know that although conservatives and the NRA were by and large upset by Bowling for Columbine, not a single lawsuit was filed challeniging any assertion made about the NRA in the movie, and believe me, the NRA isn't frightened to sue when it has even the sniff of a case.

The same is very likely true of Farenheit 9/11. Instead of circling the wagons, the political process in the country would be better served by analysing the claims made in the movies, and cleaning your own house where necessary.

You are wrong.... The reason groups are not sueing is because they have NO CASE. The defense will be Satire or Entertainment.

This is the ongoing struggle with Hollywood.

Al Franken was brought to court several years ago for Defimation charges based on what he said about Rush. The case was thrown out because Fraken said nothing in the book was true.... It was entertainment and satire.
Fraken pulled the same thing off last year with O'Reilly.

It all goes back to a case involving Larry Flint from Penthouse and an article he wrote about Jerry Falwell.

It is almost impossible to sue over the content in a movie based on the fact the movie really only represents the opinions of the director and is therefore not a "Factually" statement.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

I'd say attacks on Moore's veracity have been highly successful as a whole. Lawsuits haven't been filed because they would lose - mainly for reasons storm mentioned in a post subsequent to yours.
:)
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

>my friend's wife works in the bank where Moore says you can get a
>gun just by opening a savings account. Moore is a liar.

Too bad the bank published an ad that said just that, then. And even more unfortunate (for the Moore attackers) that the Chicago Sun-Times wrote an article saying that if you open an account there the "bank will hand over a Weatherby Inc. Mark V Synthetic rifle that lists for $ 779."

>Moore states that Lockheed plant ships out 'weapons of war' at night
>from its manufacturing plant. Sorry Mr. Moore, you're lying again there.
>Weapons of war are not manufactured at that plant.

Right, they make Titan missiles, which were once used as ICBM's. And if we found Titans in say, Iraq, it wouldn't bother us one bit, because they are clearly not weapons, right?

Bowling for Columbine was an obviously biased bit of silly filmmaking. But to go to such absurd lengths to attack it indicates a certain desperation on the part of the film's detractors. There are plenty of reasons it's a bad movie; the above two were not two of them.

For the last friggin time.

These banks either register themselves as FFLs , or they partner with one to do this sort of promo.

They called the bank months in advance to set up the scene.
They left out the part where Moore has to fill out the same forms as if he went to a gun shop.
They left out where he had to submit for a background check run by the FBI.
They left out that every gun transaction performed by FFLs has to meet the approval of the ATF and the FBI.

Quite simply, the way he showed it and the way it happens in reality are two totally separate things. That is why, when he calls it a documentary, he is called a liar.

Then there's the equating the NRA with the KKK, calling satellite rockets used by NASA weapons of war, or WMD, and so on and so forth. The man is full of it, and the movie was trash.

F 9/11 I will borrow of steal a viewing, but hell if I'm going to pay for it.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

yawwwnnn... How about we stop the Bowling arguement cycle we're in... go and see the new movie, and discuss some facts about the film. It's a little bit ridiculous to call Moore a liar, when a liar is exactly the type of person liberals dislike! Why would liberals suddenly support this liar and not that other liar? Know what I mean? I look forward to an objective discussion on the validity of Moore's points in Farenheit 9/11, and how those points may or may not have effected the chain of events leading up to 9/11/01...

Everyone have a great day

For once someone point to something Michael Moor said and have proof that it is a lie.

Do you really want me to? I don't think you do. Off the top of me head, he placed on his website information about the Patriot Act. http://www.michaelmoore.com/takeaction/issues/patriotact.php

From his site:

So just what does the Patriot Act give the Bush administration the right to do? Well, for starters, it allows the FBI to monitor everything from e-mail to medical records to library accounts, providing frightening access to once private information.

The FBI was able to do all of these before the Patriot act with a simple Grand Jury Subpoena. Lie #1

They can now legally wiretap phones, break into homes and offices, and access financial records without probable cause.

Nope, all of this still requires probable cause that a crime has been committed. The Patriot Act just allowed the proceedings to be moved to a FISA court for International Terrorism Investigations. Lie #2

I have explained all of the technical details and sources for my arguments before. I won't retype them here. Here is my earlier post.http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1066207;search_string=patriot%20act%20USC;#1066207

I would write more but it's a waste of my time. He's a fat, lazy, slob of a liar.

BTW, I e-mailed Moore and asked about all of these lies over a month ago. He still hasn't responded.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

yawwwnnn... How about we stop the Bowling arguement cycle we're in... go and see the new movie, and discuss some facts about the film. It's a little bit ridiculous to call Moore a liar, when a liar is exactly the type of person liberals dislike! Why would liberals suddenly support this liar and not that other liar?

*guffaw* "Why would liberals support a liar who lies to further their agenda?!" Isn't that obvious?

They don't see lies that further their own agenda as lies, they see them as justifiable means to their enlightened end.

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

Why would liberals suddenly support this liar and not that other liar?

You're referring to Clinton and Michael Moore right?

I look forward to an objective discussion on the validity of Moore's points in Farenheit 9/11, and how those points may or may not have effected the chain of events leading up to 9/11/01

While we're at it we can discuss the validity of The Cat in the Hat and how this is going to lead to a diluge of talking cats and blue midgets. They're both comparable in their usefullness.

Seriously, I'm not going to give Moore a dime of my money to put in his porky little hands. Fat Bastard will have to find someone else to spin his yarns with. If he mails me a free copy I might throw it on with a few friends and a six pack for a good laugh.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

Why would liberals suddenly support this liar and not that other liar?

You're referring to Clinton and Michael Moore right?

Well, I guess you can put Clinton in that category, and in some respects you can put Moore in that category... but not without putting Bush in that category as well. Anyone with an education sees the truth in that, right?

(Not directed at you, kmcguffee, but the whole thread)

This isn't about what position you take politically, and ignoring one liar and not another, it's about the events leading up to 9/11 and what we could have or couldn't have done differently. No one has even seen the documentary and already they're bashing the movie... doesn't sound constructive or objective to me! Instead it's liberal this, or conservative that... cat in the hat, blah blah blah... These threaads turn out to be the most unconstructive, ubnobjective discussions ever...
Anybody attend college and learn how to effectively debate something?

You want some facts about Moore's lies? Here's some cold hard facts (pardon the pun):

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

If all the lies about when rallies happened, who said what, what were the reasons for the rallies, or sometimes them not being rallies at all, if all the lies about the content of documents executed by cutting out pieces of them, all the lies about the context of sentences, are not enough for you, maybe the splicing will convince you. For a shot at fairness, read the link to Moore's response.

I'm against guns being this freely available in the US myself, but lying and misleading in a documentary to make your point is despicable.

-- Toggle Whippin' Yahoo
Skydiving is easy. All you have to do is relax while plummetting at 120 mph from 10,000' with nothing but some nylon and webbing to save you.

I have very little to hide. If someone came up to me and asked me a bunch of questions, I would probably be rather rude to them because they are a jerk.

They lack the common courtesy to request an appointment in the fashion that everyone else does. They expect to be made an exception and put to the front of the line like a petulant child.

Because I lacked interest in bowing to their wishes, I am maligned as having something to hide.

Then, they would edit 50 hours of their film to only get the types of reactions that they wanted for effect.

When people characterize them as a jerk, they are being unfair and part of a conspiracy.

He is an irritant and a pompous, self-aggrandizing propagandist.