livendive

Do you find this disturbing?

I agree with the theme of your post, but one tidbit: You most definately can not "report" lyrics, as they are clearly copyrighted. There's a long list of "lyric databases" online getting shutdown by the RIAA. Fair use notwithstanding, of course.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

John - my point on the two notes were that the example "the speaker didn't want to be recorded" the fact that you don't mind is not on topic.

So to extend your statement that public servants should not have the right to not be recorded for the info of their bosses. What about the private sector - are you consistent? Should we be constantly recorded during our work day and while traveling on business and while on sales calls, or service calls, etc? (regardless of the employee's requests not to be)

Many businesses do exactly that.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

See the difference?

Yes, Metallica is a private band and was not performing in a public venue. Scalia is a senior officer of the government of the people and for the people speaking in a public place on a matter of public interest. There's a big difference, you are quite correct. Scalia should be recorded and Metallica shouldn't.

Hmm. I'm still a little iffy on your characterization of a high school as a "public venue." It's a limited public forum, but is certainly not a free speech zone. But, this is an aside.

Let's say Scalia decides that he is going to give a speech at the Lincoln Memorial to be blasted by loudspeakers across the reflecting pool. That is a public forum. Any objections to recordings would be unreasonable, since his comments are intended for the public.

Public forum - he's making his comments on the radio. No expectation of non-recordation.

Now, we are looking at a situation in a high school. Not everyone can be there for it. By design, it is limited. By understanding, all present will not be recording it. In fact, the venue is more like Metallica playing a bar - a small group of people to see it.

Even though it is a high school, it is not necesaarily a public forum. In fact, the place is pretty small and enclosed.

The difference is the reasonable expectations of people.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Hmm. I'm still a little iffy on your characterization of a high school as a "public venue." It's a limited public forum, but is certainly not a free speech zone. But, this is an aside.

Let's say Scalia decides that he is going to give a speech at the Lincoln Memorial to be blasted by loudspeakers across the reflecting pool. That is a public forum. Any objections to recordings would be unreasonable, since his comments are intended for the public.

Public forum - he's making his comments on the radio. No expectation of non-recordation.

Now, we are looking at a situation in a high school. Not everyone can be there for it. By design, it is limited. By understanding, all present will not be recording it. In fact, the venue is more like Metallica playing a bar - a small group of people to see it.

Even though it is a high school, it is not necesaarily a public forum. In fact, the place is pretty small and enclosed.

The difference is the reasonable expectations of people.

Who owns the high school?

Two reporters were ordered Wednesday to erase their tape recordings of a speech by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia at a Mississippi high school.

Update:

"Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia has apologized to the two reporters whose audio recorders were seized during a speech that the Justice gave last week at a high school in Hattiesburg, Miss.

"In a letter to Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press Executive Director Lucy Dalglish, Scalia said he didn't approve of the actions by a U.S. Marshal, who seized the recorders and ordered the recordings erased. 'You were correct that the action was not taken at my direction; I was upset as you were,' Scalia wrote. 'I have written to the reporters involved, extending my apology.'"

Full Story