Chizazz

If a worker strikes, should he lose his job?

I financed my undergraduate (and graduate) school myself. No help from parents. They were paying for my mom's school at the time, as well as my brother's private high school. I did it through federal and private loans, as well as grants and scholarships. I worked 10 hours a week tutoring elementary kids and made $20 an hour doing it.

So, you were living on your own? Had your own apartment? Bought all your own groceries? Paid all your own utilities? Paid for your own transportation? Paid for your own medical insurance or expenses? If not, you might want to thank your parents for all the help that they DID give you. Lots of people don't even get a card for their bday from their parents that kicked them out of the house as soon as they could.

The point was that minimum wage is not a liveable income and doesn't afford you the ability to go to school.

Your entire argument seems to be based around the Stafford loan and its cap of six thousand something dollars. You've ignored other sources of financial aid. Hell, when I was in school I got almost 15K a year in aid (which I am still repaying). I'm sure that it didn't all come from the Stafford loan.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

There are other forms of financial aid than Stafford Loan. There are Federal Pell Grants for low-income students. There are scholarships for those who have applied themselves in preparation for college. There are more scholarships available to people with financial need than for others. There are other grants. There are other federally-backed unsubsidized student loans that will cover the complete cost of education, but the interest is higher than for subsidized student loans. There are work study programs. Any high school graduate who wants to go to college can go to college.

Lindsey

EVERY SINGLE PERSON who is in school qualifies for federal stafford loans. Period. The loans are more than enough to cover full time attendance at any state school.

What??? Stafford load is capped at $6,625 for first year students.

Penn State satellite campus first year tuition is $9,621 for PA residents. Not to mention:

ESTIMATED room and meal expenses: $6,200
ESTIMATED expenses for books and supplies: $1,100
ESTIMATED expenses for travel and personal supplies: $1,200-2,400

To make up the difference between the costs and what you get from the loan, working at minimum wage you would have to work 2,232 hours a year. That's 48 hours short of a full time job, 40 hours a week for a full year.

--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail