robbo23

Skydiving with Multiple Sclerosis

hi Ken - it's great to actually meet someone like myself. I have loads of questions!!
How fit were you when you started skydiving.
I have relapsing remiting ms and have a relapse a year for my first 4 years. My legs went 8 months ago but im now back on them and just did my third tandem 2 weeks ago. My groundschool is starting this Friday.

My big question i suppose is can someone with MS Skydive to a decent level

My big question i suppose is can someone with MS Skydive to a decent level

Because every case is different, the easy answer is yes. Some are mild or asymptomatic, others with symptoms/signs that won't seriously interfere with jumping, and others that require assistance and special precautions.

Do check with other MS jumpers or athletes for general precautions - eg. avoiding overheating, esp in a small plane during summer - and those that may only apply to cases similar to yours. (Many don't apply in every case - eg. spasticity, myoclonus, visual impairment, etc.)

Good luck!

My MS is fairly constant - i tend to have 1 relapse per year which is unknown as per what abilities i lose. Recently my legs went but i'm back on my feet now and started running again 2 weeks ago. I think it's just my confidence that is lacking due to the condition - i have minor balance issues etc but overall I'm pretty fit. I just can't wait to start now - ground school day tomorrow and Saturday for my aff 1 and possibly more - blue skies are here this weekend!!! :)

Well so far so good - passed levels 1,2,3 - all in 1 day - i was so chuffed.
Then bad weather set in. I had to wait a week to do level 4 - that didnt go so well - i had a good exit but when the instrutor rewleased me i started to get a bit unstable and instead of relaxing and arching i tried to recover it and went quite stiff - needless to say i failed level 4. I'm now going to a wind tunnel next week for 30 mins to sort out these issues - my legs are the cause of most of my problems - so i guess practice is needed.

Hope to post some better news in 10 days time!!

Hi all - I'm a newbie - about to start my AFF level 1 and was wondering if there are any skydivers out there with MS.

hi,

i do not have MS but i do have ALS.

been jumping 3 yrs now.

still skydive and try to keep up the spirits.
these days i BASE more then i skydive though.

i use an electric wheelchair and am on a feeding tube,
oxygen that sort of thng

now a level C4 partial quad
of paralysis
To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works

For those of you who have MS, please do yourself a favor and consider changing your dietary habits. Dr. John McDougall has done long term studies of the effects of a Western diet vs a whole food, plant based diet and has found that those with MS who follow the plant based diet have longer remission rates and less long term disability than do those who continue the standard Western diet.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/

I have MS and am wheelchair bound and did a jump recently. I did it as a fundraiser. It was amazing! You can see a video of it here: http://skydivingforms.blogspot.com

Good luck with your efforts

FIFY....;)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

MS is kinda a huge sickness that can cause all sorts of different problems.
My mother had plan on doing AFF with me in the spring of 2010, sadly she died a few months before that day due to a heart attack caused by MS.

Her issues from MS was light numbness in the right side of her body, and general "pain" overall.
Perfect sight, hearing, thought, ect....

Hi Robbo23,
Sounds like you are doing fine. My roomie has MS. He has had one severe attack so far with near blindness the main symptom but some balance issues as well. He has also struggled with the medication at times. Nonetheless he has continued to train with his 4-way team as well as packing and load organizing. Will it ground him some day? Who knows, but not today.