blacksha

Leg Disability?

Under what circumstances would someone with a leg disability be allowed to safely tandem jump?

I understand that there is some sort of seat some drop zones have where they put tandem passengers' legs into?

Example: What if the tandem passenger was older, say in their 60's, and had metal in their thigh from having a previously shattered thigh bone? The person can now walk, but not too well...would this meet the conditions for this seat-harness?

I apologize if I should have searched for this, I'm sure the answer is in this forum already. Just wish the search function was more reliable like Google. I often do searches for something and it takes me a long time to come up with the right keywords to find what I'm looking for.

It would require a discussion with the potential tandem passenger, the specific local DZ they were going to, and possibly the passenger's doctor. It's a specialized jump, and the particular DZ has to be comfortable with it.

Brittle bones (for instance) are generally a really bad idea to take on a skydive. Paraplegics and even quadriplegics can jump, however. So it depends.

There are lots of jumpers with shattered legs full of metal.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Under what circumstances would someone with a leg disability be allowed to safely tandem jump?

I understand that there is some sort of seat some drop zones have where they put tandem passengers' legs into?

Example: What if the tandem passenger was older, say in their 60's, and had metal in their thigh from having a previously shattered thigh bone? The person can now walk, but not too well...would this meet the conditions for this seat-harness?

I apologize if I should have searched for this, I'm sure the answer is in this forum already. Just wish the search function was more reliable like Google. I often do searches for something and it takes me a long time to come up with the right keywords to find what I'm looking for.

You really need to speak to your local DZOs but I know my DZ would likely jump this person.

However if he cant raise his legs up (for landing purposes) then the weather conditions would need to be just right before they would take him up (eg/not a no wind day, enough wind to negate most of the tandems forward speed) so he didnt get his leg re broken...

Hey There People, well I am a Paraplegic and I have been working on being the first wheelchair skydiver in the world. My DZ is in Florida at Z-Hills and the people there are GREAT. We have been working on this full time for the past 2 1/2 years now, for my to free fly all by myself. It can be done and with the right training and trainers anything can be done. The owner TK Hayes and his staff have been working hard with me and I/we won't stop until I do what I came to Florida to do. I can not walk so they set me in the planes towards the door so I can be the first one out and the rest is up to me and the things I have learned. I invented a leg strap to keep my knees and legs up for landing and things are working out just great. So come on out to SkyDive city in Florida and have a great time with a bunch of great people. Because the next time you will see me will be on the Big Screen were I belong..LoL Welcome to My World.... Pookie Land It can be done
Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466

Don't ruine my dreams...LoL
I'm almost there, and what would be kool is if the people that have come as far as I have could all get together and bring what we do to the light and let not just our local DZ's know but people around the world that we exist B| and maybe form our own team. I belong to the Muff Diver's and a 4 man crew already, but looking to travel more this coming year..

Stop Touching Me!!!

Muff Brother# 4466