wheelofadeal

Quadriplegic in KS

Hi all! I have read some encouraging posts on here about quads going tandem. I too am a C5 quad, living in KS I've called DZ’s around here, and I think they’ve taken just one quad. I they look at it as “scary”. Is there a way I can entice them to do it? What you do with the legs; strap them together or to the tandem master? Is there a problem breathing with all that air blowing in your face, and only able to breathe with your diaphragm? Since I'm 6’4”, do I have to have a master as tall as me?
I’d appreciate any help!
Thanks,
Brandon
http://www.myspace.com/wheelofadeal

go to theblueskyranch.com and look up UTAH. You can probably post something in the forum. UTAH has been a tandem for years and has taken para's and quads and little old ladies. He'll be able to give you suggestions, or help the dz. if you go to the new jumper site, you'll see a video of when THE RANCH took alot of para's on a jump. I don't think there were any quad's that day.

I never did say "it's scary". That said, I do not have experience with Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) tandems. I take what I do seriously, and do not experiment with other people's (and my) lives. I just read, and Jen Sharp sent to Brandon for his information the 60+
page Thesis on Tandem Skydiving with Wheel Chair Dependant Persons. There's a lot more to it than I had even imagined! Everything from problems with blood flow to the skin (ulcers), mussel spasms, potential neck problems (whiplash), bone density issues, and it would obviously be easier out of an airplane larger than a C182. Simply hooking up, getting out the door, and off the airplane safely is a huge issue!

Thesis on UPTs site:
http://www.unitedparachutetechnologies.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=91&Itemid=38

I have not given up on Brandon, but at this point I'm not promising anything other than to meet and go from there.

Martin
AC DZ
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Hi Brandon,
I don't see jumping with SCI tandems as scary, it's something that I'm actually looking forward to doing in my skydiving career. I do agree with Martin though that it is not a good idea to experiment with our lives.

I would not make a wingsuit jump for instance without getting the proper equipment and training, it would just not be smart. Doing an SCI tandem without the proper equipment and training would be unwise as well. Unfortunately I don't have the training or equipment to make this kind of jump yet.

Fortunately there are tandem instructors out there that do have the necessary experience, equipment and training to jump with you. Three come to mind right off the top of my head, Bram Clement, Jay Stokes, Bob Feisthammel. PM me if you would like contact info for any of these people.

We all certainly want you to be able to jump, just in the safest environment possible.

Blue Skies

Thanks the replies guys! I have contacted those 3 people today, Jay & Bob both have exp with quads. So it looks like Ill have to drive out of state. I read the whole thesis, and its pretty accurate. But most of that can be cleared up with a few questions. I have no bone problems, I can wear something like panty hose to help from blood pooling in my legs, i can explain to the instructor how to be handled to the edge to prevent sores, etc. And from what i hear from instructors & quads who have jump, the wind in the face is not a problem. Thanks for the help!

I'm a T3 para so I'm pretty much on your level as far as breathing goes. It's nothing to worry about. Not a problem at all. Your legs won't get whipped around because I'm sure they'll be velcro'd to the instructors legs but one thing to consider is your arms. C5 has biceps but no triceps, right? They may get whipped around a bit on opening. Might want to ask the instructor about this as well. I'm sure it's not a big deal seeing as how it's all been done before.

Its quite possible to tandem with SCI I've done 9 tandems now and am on my way to the wind tunnel with my legs braced at a 60 degree angle (we will need to experiment with the degrees in the tunnel ),
to try to see whats going to happen to me when I plan to move on to AFF next spring.

for more info (and the links to my videos of 2 of my tandem progression dives 4th dive and 9th dive) see my intro thread:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2997438;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

To become active member in the Bonus Days Club you must very narrowly escape eternal freefall ... one exciting time.)-Pat Works