shabino

Amputee Jumping Questions

I had a BASE jumping accident last year and ended up with a right BKA. Before my accident, I had about 300 skydives and would like to start jumping again. Some questions for BKA jumpers out there:

1. What sort of suspension are you using in addition to whatever you use everyday? I noticed that Dana Bowman seems to use a knee brace on his BKA side. Necessary?

2. How are landings? I have no problem PLFing but wonder if there's anything I should know. BTW, I also have a messed up left ankle.

3. What is your canopy wing loading? I was jumping a 1.35 or so but think that's way too loaded given my current state.

4. What else should I know? I'm excited to get back in the game (although my wife thinks otherwise).

Thanks,
Steve

I am a BKA on my left leg and have been jumping again now for about 18 months. (also 56 years old btw). Jumped in the military 30 years ago.

I just wear a safety strap made of webbing and velcro to ensure that if my leg should come off (has once with an unstable opening:S) that I don't lose it altogether. Let me know if you want details and a pic.

Othewise I land normally and usually stand up, but am always prepared tp PLF. Do run off ever now and then, so maybe PLF for you would be advisable.

I have also just bought my own rig and will not load it over 1:1 Check my profile and you can get the details.

Good luck in convincing your wife about getting back into the sport. If you play it coolB| and be safe (always), really no problem.

I am also a right bka, I use a sports support on that leg just because my knee is in not that great of shape. I am at a 1:1 wing loading and will stay there for a while. I can run my landings out if I have to but I usually stand them up. I dont have any real issues because of my leg!

Thanks for the replies!

Neil - I'd love to see a picture of the safety strap. If you upload it to the forum, it'll become searchable knowledge. Considering that I don't have a backup leg yet, I'd hate to lose this one in a cornfield.

Sounds like the hardest part of jumping again is going to be convincing my pregnant wife that jumping is a good thing!